Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 6:06:29 PM EDT
I recently put on a IOR VALDADA 4x24 tactical scope on my SAR 8. The scope is for the .308 and has a Bullet Drop Compensator built in. It states the BDC is for 168 gr bullets.

My question is: If I sight it in with 147/150 grn bullets instead of the 168 grn bullet at 100 yds, will the BDC still work when I click it to 200 yd, 300 yd and so forth?

Any help or advice in this would be appreciated!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a good chance even the 168gr won't be exactly on the mark with the BDC. Barrel length, velocity, temp and altitude will all affect how useful the BDC is.
On my AR10 I have a M3 Leupold and find the 100 yrd zero doesnt change much between 168 and 147 grn but the farther out it does start to affect it. All you can do is try it and see what happens.
You can make your own cam by taping or painting a ring about the knob and writing your own marks if the 147grn is way off.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it sort of depends on what you mean by "work". You can do some ballistics charts to compare the drop between 147/150gr MFJs and 168's. If being off by a a couple inches at 200 , a few at 300, or several at 400 is o.k., then it'll work.

If your target will still go down at 400 even if the hit is 5" low, then it works, right?

For drilling small groups at longer range is your intent, then it probably wont do.

but you can just adjust the scope elevation knobs to make the difference. You just have to figure out how much more up you'll need.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]
THANKS for the info. !

I probably will not be shooting beyond 300 yards. I am not trying to turn it into a tack driver just want to have some fun out to 200 to 300 yards with it.

Again thank you for the advice and hints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top