Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:07:19 AM EDT
I have a lot of experience with firearms and a little bit with MP5's.  I'm toying with the idea of investing in an MP5-type weapon.  I am unfamiliar with import laws that may or may not affect the ownership of these.  I've always thought that MP5's were great weapons and just want to start gathering information about what I should get.  I don't want to spend $5000, but a couple grand wouldn't be out of the question.  I would like it to be as close to a real HK as possible.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You have a couple different choices.   The first thing you need to decide is if you want a 16 inch barrel (HK94) or a 9 inch barrel like the MP5 (Short Barreld Rifle).

The second thing you need to decide is clone or German.

The least expensive route is to go clone 16 inch.  Even here, you have 2 options:  
1) If you never intend to go short barrel, get a regular Bobcat BW5.
2) If you may eventually want to go SBR, then get a BW5FS, which has a short MP5 barrel with a barrel extension pinned on to get the barrel to 16 inches.   When you decide to go the SBR route, and file the Form 1 with the ATF.... you can remove the barrel extension once you get the approved From 1 back from the ATF.

If you must go German (which many people recommend), you should look into the California Dept of Corrections HK94s that are on the market right now for around $2,500.

It costs about $1,000 plus or minus to convert a std HK94 into a SBR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the extra $1000 for SBR conversion of a German gun for parts and labor or taxes?  I would definately go short barrel because it just doesn't seem reight otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
HK all the way. You won't regret it. If you get a clone you will want to move up to HK anyway. It would just be a matter of time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the extra $1000 for SBR conversion of a German gun for parts and labor or taxes?  I would definately go short barrel because it just doesn't seem reight otherwise.

If you have an HK94 already you have to first file a Form 1 ($200) with ATF to get the gun converted to SBR.  It can be done by a good smith: including cutoff barrel and add 3 lug, remark to MP5, add paddle mag release and refinish.  I am having an HK94 converted by S&H of Oklahoma for about $600. If you want a real HK 3 lug barrel it might add $400 to the cost (total about $1000) depending on the cost of the real HK 3 lug barrel.

There are SBRs available already converted, in which case you have to go through the process of getting the gun with 1 or 2 transfers through ATF, depends whether the seller lives in your state.  These guns cost about $4000, add $200 for each transfer from individuals.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
To be clear, these are HK94 clones.  MP5 clones would be machineguns.  They do look a lot like MP5s though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
To be clear, these are HK94 clones.  MP5 clones would be machineguns.  They do look a lot like MP5s though.

Yes, if you want as close as possible you will want a transferable full auto gun which will set you back between $13000 to $16000 depending on the type of conversion.  Pretty much all transferable MP5 guns are conversions from HK94 semi-auto guns. An SBR can be converted to full auto using a transferable HK sear pack and a full auto bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The standard BW5 is no longer in production.  I don't think any dealers have them in stock (at least, none I could find).

There are some BW FS models around.  I don't know for sure, but have heard Bobcat is stopping production of the BW FS too.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are these California Department of Corrections guns?  How do you find info on them?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out sturmgewehr.com non-nfa firearms board.  There are some listed there for $2300.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I think V-93's are nicer then HK93's!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think V-93's are nicer then HK93's!

You may the only one

Cheaper yes, but nicer?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got a Vector V-53 and it is a very nice gun.  I formally carried an HK 93 for a duty weapon and an MP-5/40 for SWAT.  This V-53 is every bit as nice as either of the real HK's.  I know it's a big no-no to say that on this board but it is true.  

I was very pleased with the way my V-53 shot too.  It ran through several mags without a single problem.  From a bench rest it was extremely accurate with open sights and I just love the feel and recoil of an HK style weapon.  I shot my RRA Entry/Tactical M4 back-to-back with the V-53 and I really prefer the smooth action of the 53.  Vector is making some nice guns and I am very pleased with mine.  In fact, I'm out the door now to work and the V-53 is going with me for my shift.  I wrote up a request to allow them for patrol/SWAT duties about 18 months ago and it was approved.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the great info, guys!  I really appreciate it.  I'm getting married in about 5 months, so funds are kinda tied up at the moment, but a California HK-94 is definately in the future!  My fiance is cool with my addiction and even wants to learn how to shoot after the wedding!  I'll have to find a good class for her, though.  One of the first things I learned about relationships: never try to teach your girl anything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the great info, guys!  I really appreciate it.  I'm getting married in about 5 months, so funds are kinda tied up at the moment, but a California HK-94 is definately in the future!  My fiance is cool with my addiction and even wants to learn how to shoot after the wedding!  I'll have to find a good class for her, though.  One of the first things I learned about relationships: never try to teach your girl anything.

You aren't kidding!  I saw a couple at the range the other day.  He was trying to teach her to shoot a handgun and both were getting very frustrated.  They were actually screaming and yelling and cussing each other.  I actually felt sorry for the girl because the guy was being a smart ass and really short with her.  He would pop off and yell at her then look around to see if anyone else was laughing.  Not the kind of crap you want to pull when the person you are making fun of has a loaded Glock in her hands.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top