Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 6:51:54 AM EDT
I'm looking into building my own gun and I have found parts kits for the MP5 and is says NO FFL required because there is no receiver  BUT I see a lower (or at least what appears to be a lower) does anyone know where I could get the rest of the gun?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you saying you want to build an MP5?

If so you must be a licensed manufacturer.  A newly made MP5 cannot be owned by a civilian.  If you want a legal full auto MP5 made legally (before May, 1986) they cost about $13000 to $15000 and up depending on the type of conversion.

If you are saying you want to build an HK94, the semi-auto version of the MP5 with a 16.25" barrel, then you need to get a semiauto receiver through an FFL first.  You can't get a receiver any other way.

Then you can build your semi-auto 16.25" HK94 clone.  If you want a short barrelled rifle which is semi-auto then you also need to file and get back an  ATF Form 1 FIRST with your fingerprints and $200 tax, and you need a CLEO signoff before assembling the gun, which requires welding skills, a fixture to set the barrel, as well as a press.  It isn;t for a beginner, and it isn't easy.

It sounds like you need to learn a lot about this before doing anything.  Check out the NFA FAQS in the M16 section.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking to make a semi auto version.  Isn't it the same basicly as buliding a AR-15?  I mean if you have the parts kits plus the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
An AR-15 is like a lego set compared to an HK clone.

AR-15 = Easy Difficulty

AKM    = Moderate Difficulty

HK       = Hard Difficulty

You can assemble an AR with minimal tools, i.e. simple hand tools.  AK requires shop style tools, i.e. press, vise, drills...  

HK requires welding.  Just keep reading on this forum, you are in the right place for the information.  You are better off buying a completed firearm from SW, BW, Vecter, or JLD.    Check Atlantic Firearms .

Good Luck.  You need to do some more research to find out what you are getting into.  Make sure you research before you spend lots of money on a parts kit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The lower on an MP5 is not the registered part.

The registered part is the receiver tube ( what the rear sight ,barrel, etc is attached to).

And yes you are more or less correct, if you want to build with 16 inch barrel is just like building an AR15, with the exception that the HK requires some serious knowledge / tools to build.

Not a job for the home builder.

Get your kit, and a receiver ( Special Weapons, I think) then send to a reputable gunsmith.

They will assemble, convert the auto trigger pack to semi only, and maybe weld a fake suppressor to you r 8.85" barrel to make it legal 16 inch.

This will cost you lots of dough, probably about 2K based on current parts kit prices and labor rates.

A better option option may be to just purchase a CA DOJ HK94 (still out there from around 2300)
or
purchase a complete Bobcat for 1500 or so.

Advantage to HK is factory receiver
Advantage to Bobcat is cost.
Advantage to gunsmith / parts kit build - should work perfect for shade cheaper than HK.

Now, where you get your receiver ... good question, I would contact a smith that does builds, Investment Grade Firearms, tell them what you want to do, and maybe they can help you find a suitable receiver.

But, unless you have some serious tools, and skills, this is not a home build type of gun.
AR - easiest
FAL - next
AK - next
HK - hard

I build ARs, going to try an FAL, I personnally wouldn't try an AK at home but I have seen it done.
I pay people to work on HK style guns.
IMHO

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Building a semi-auto MP5 (called an HK-94) is not as simple as an AR-15 build.  The concepts are the same but this isn't someone can do in their garage on a Saturday afternoon.  On HK guns, the reciever (think upper in AR-15 world) is the controlled part of the gun, not the lower like in an AR-15.  That's why they sell the trigger pack with the parts kit without going through an FFL.  Now for the problems:

For one thing, an MP5 parts kit will come with an 8" barrel which is, of course, illegal for us lowly peons to own without getting permission from the ATF.  

The second problem is that you're going to have to find the receiver to put all the parts into.  These aren't very easy to find, currently there is only one company making them here in the US and as far as I know they aren't selling just the receiver.  The company is Special Weapons, you might check the forums at www.hk-54.com/board and check under the Special Weapons section, that is where Todd Bailey, the owner, will announce when he's selling receivers.

The third problem, should be manage to get an MP5 / HK-94 receiver is that you're going to have to put all the parts into the receiver.  The biggest of the hurdles here is pressing the barrel into the trunion which requires either a 5 ton press and a lot of know how.  After getting the thing assembled, it would then need to be refinished.

Basically, you have a couple of options to get what you're wanting.  First, you could buy a US made clone of the MP5 / HK-94 made by Bobcat Weapons from Atlantic Firearms.  It's called the BW-5FS and it should run you around $1500. Link to BW-5 on Atlantic Firearms

The second option is to buy an honest to goodness HK-94 for around $2700-ish.  You might check places like www.gunbroker.com www.sturmgewehr.com or www.gunsamerica.com for listings.  HK-94 for sale on Gunbroker

Finally, you could do what you're talking about, buy the parts kit, get the receiver, apply for an short barreled rifle permit from the ATF, and send everything off to a gunsmith like Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms to have it all assembled into a kick-ass MP-5 copy.  This would probably cost you around $3000 total, depending on how much you pay for the parts kit.  www.investmentgradefirearms.com

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Post 10?  I see.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Finally, you could do what you're talking about, buy the parts kit, get the receiver, apply for an short barreled rifle permit from the ATF, and send everything off to a gunsmith like Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms to have it all assembled into a kick-ass MP-5 copy.  This would probably cost you around $3000 total, depending on how much you pay for the parts kit.  www.investmentgradefirearms.com

Hope this helps.

The one I'm building is only going to cost $1575 plus shipping...

That will be with IGF gunsmithing, a POF parts kit, and a SW5 receiver...

Having IGF do a build is a much better option than buying a Bobcat...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]

How much did you pay for your parts kit?

I think a parts kit now is about a grand... thats for HK parts, POF is a bit cheaper, but I don't know when those will be seen again.
and IGF charges about 800 or so for assembly and refinish, right ?

and then the receiver is running a few hundred at least....

Did you get your parts kit back when you could get the parts for 475?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How much did you pay for your parts kit?

I think a parts kit now is about a grand... thats for HK parts, POF is a bit cheaper, but I don't know when those will be seen again.
and IGF charges about 800 or so for assembly and refinish, right ?

and then the receiver is running a few hundred at least....

Did you get your parts kit back when you could get the parts for 475?

Well, that price is IF () I can get a POF parts kit for the price they are now...

ETA: If ever...

The receiver was $350, the NFA tax will be $200 and the gunsmithing would be $550...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Indeed.  Jayson over at IGF is the guy to see about HK94 builds.

Just talked to POF and they have no idea when they will be getting more HK94/mp5 kits(still $475). So no luck unless you can find someone selling it 3rd(or maybe 4th?) party.

And to add a question to the mix as I am not that familar with HK model numbers...  Vector has a V-93 Reciever. Would that work in a hk94mp5 clone build?

Edit: Holy crap! that was big
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]
mag well on the V-93 is for 223 sized mags.
Also I think the trunion area would be the wrong size.
I suppose a really good smith good chop/ reweld/etc...

but I don't think it would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
mag well on the V-93 is for 223 sized mags.
Also I think the trunion area would be the wrong size.
I suppose a really good smith good chop/ reweld/etc...

but I don't think it would be the way to go.

Quoted:
Indeed.  Jayson over at IGF is the guy to see about HK94 builds.

Just talked to POF and they have no idea when they will be getting more HK94/mp5 kits(still $475). So no luck unless you can find someone selling it 3rd(or maybe 4th?) party.

And to add a question to the mix as I am not that familar with HK model numbers...  Vector has a V-93 Reciever. Would that work in a hk94mp5 clone build?
www.madrussian.org/ar15//HK93.gif
Edit: Holy crap! that was big

Not no but, Hell no!

You can't use a V93 receiver to build a HK94 clone...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]
pretty good deal on a Bobcat on Gunbroker, $1250 currently with coll stock...

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43051079
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top