Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 8:13:46 PM EDT
I am going to buy a 91 clone this month. Which one do I need to buy? I was planning on going with Rapid Fire, unless you guys have a better idea. I just cannot afford a real HK. You advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ken
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Whats your budget?  Expect to pay for some minor small parts and accessories.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find one and you budget allows, the Greek SAR8's (steel receiver) imported by Springfield are as close to a German HK as you'll find.  Expect to pay anywhere from $900-1300 for one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Century Clone, $500 range (expect to send it back for repair

JLD PTR-91, $750-900 (Get SN>250)

Greek SAR-8, $900-1300 (HK license, Some variance on stock)
Portugese 91, $1000-1500 (HK license, I think)

I guess the CIA one works, sorta. At least it's cheap. The PTR sounds good and is supposedly built well. The Greek SAR-8 is built to HK specs on HK tooling, supposedly the best you can get without buying an actual HK.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you decide to go with a PTR-91, e-mail me. I have one that is having some work done at Investment Grade Firearms. When I get it back, I will probably sell it.
Shorten barrel
Perm install fake flashider
Refinish in Envirotech black

It will have SAR-8 sporter furniture on it, including wide forearm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope I don't step on anyones' toes here, but technically, the HKs are clones of the CETME and not visa versa.

German developers working on the SturmGewehr 45(Assualt rifle) fled Germany after the war. The following is a timeline of what followed:  

1948: The CETME (Centro de Estudios Tecnicos de Materiales Especiales - Special Materials Technical Studies Center) is conceived, as a medium to counter the effects that the international isolation was having on the army.
1949: The CETME is created.
1952: The demonstrations begin in Spain and Germany
1956: The manufacturing of the Modelo A begins.
1957: Germany adopts the CETME assault rifle. The Spanish Army adopts the CETME assault rifle.
1958: The manufacturing of the Modelo B begins. The Navy and the Air Force adopt the CETME assault rifle.
1959: The first joint-development accord with Germany is signed.
1962: The second joint-development accord with Germany is signed.
1964: The 7'62x51mm NATO cartridge is adopted by the Spanish Armed Forces. The manufacturing of the Modelo C begins.
1966: The development of the Modelo L begins.
1976: The manufacturing of the Modelo C stops.
1980: The development of the Modelo L finishes.
1982: The first AMELI prototypes are finished.
1984: The first batches of the Modelo L and LC are produced.
1985: The first contract of 600 AMELIs for the British Army is signed.
1996: The first M-16 begin to appear in special units, as an evaluation.
1996: The basis for a public offer to replace the CETME are established: The canadian DIEMACO C-7, the belgian FNC, israelian Galil, german H&K G-36E, swiss SIG-550 and austrian AUG-77 start the race.
1999: The H&K G-36E is selected as the future spanish assault rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope I don't step on anyones' toes here, but technically, the HKs are clones of the CETME and not visa versa.

Exactly who's toes do you not want to step on? No one even mentioned the CETME. It's the predecessor to the G3. Nothing wrong with that. Just not as developed.

Calling the G3 a clone of the CETME is sort of like calling the newest AR-15 a clone of the original. Those German guys spent about five more years of development on the CETME to create the G3. Even if you stay in the same brand (CIA) there is about another $150-170 difference between the two.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone here own an HK91 clone made by Rapid Fire?
Does anyone know anyone who has owned one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The origonal sets of G3's that were delivered to the Bundwher were stamped CETME...Not H&K.
It was A couple years before H&K stampings started to show up on the rifles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The origonal sets of G3's that were delivered to the Bundwher were stamped CETME...Not H&K.
It was A couple years before H&K stampings started to show up on the rifles.

So I hear what you are saying, but unless you're gonna get to a point that pertains to the original thread's post, or for that matter just get to a point, I'm gonna sit here confused.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Rapid fire should be fine.
Avoid century and hesse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top