Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:48:56 PM EDT
Hello all,

I'm shopping around for the best G36 conversion for my SL8. I'm familiar with the usual suspects, like Top Notch and Mr. Covington. Are there any other companys or gunsmiths out there that do solid work?

I'm leaning towards Top Notch. Any members out there with first hand experience with their G36 work?

All constructive opinions are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
hepcat,
you might check over on HKpro.com and do a search for Ed Montana out of Miami, FL. He has done Sl8/G36 conversions and USCs as well. I bought a converted SL8 from someone who had him do the build and it is very nice. I also had Greg Covington do the SW36 stock 'fix' to get the length of pull down to a manageable length and get rid of the hinge block. You might also check Keith Buckner's site [http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8] for other pertinent info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Check HK91.com also. there is a guy there by the name "alpinetek" that has built some pretty awesome looking rifles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
alpinetek = Keith Buckner
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one that I converted. I really like it. First of all there is a series of people you can use for the conversion. You can purchase the parts and get special weapons to do the conversion as well if you are afraid of cutting on a very expensive weapon. Here is the low down

Mag conversion are the special weapons conversions from top notch. They involve a bold carrier key replacement as well as a gas piston, mag well, and a few other random items. You have to make a cut in the SL8 receiver at the mag well to allow the AR mag to go in. This is pretty simple with a dremel (I never used one before that day and it worked good) and then a polishing bit for the touch up.

The Stock I got was the Special Weapons clone. It is a little longer but allows for removal of the pin after the ban drops and firing from a folded mag. You can also pop a C lenth stock on this if you are not interested in firing folded. This is also simple only requiring the moving of the parts in the trigger housing.

The barrel work was done by Larry at Area 51 guns. He will cut the barrel to any length and put any attachment on it (provided it is legal). I have seen his K and C conversions for those that have the SBR stamp. Personally, I went with a 14.5 inch barrel with a perma AK break on it. He opened up the gas port for me and turned down the thickness of the barrel. The gas block is still the stock length but I can put a K grip on and have the vent poke out the front just like the C. His work if available through him or special weapons. I went through him and have not regreted it. I had a 2 week upper turn around and he took the thing back twice for service that turned out to be ammo - mag - gas hole combo problem that was easily fixed at no charge.

The black color of the furnature is easy to obtain with a 25 gallon bucket full of boiling water and a few bottles of RITs dye (I am not kiding I did my USC like this too.)

home.comcast.net/~kogashuk/g36o3.jpg
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh man...that alone is almost worth making me go and buy an SL8 and have the magwell conversion done to it. Awesome rifle, KogaShuko...I'd probably have gone with one of Kurt's A3 tacbrakes, but hot damn. That looks sweet. Especially if you can drive that pin out after the ban

I've talked with Larry (he's LarryG36 here) before, and he told me he does all the barrel work. From everything I've seen, he's the man to see about G36 barrels, bar none.

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow ADCO has a sweet rifle and the price is right!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top