Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 6:25:22 PM EDT
My aluminum reciever SAR-8 has a canted front sight, dented cocking tube, and an occasional failures to feed so I sent it back to SA for reapir.  I have heard they don't have the parts to repair these so they often offer a M1A to replace it.  Anyone know if they will fix it or replace it?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy sent his back.  Didnt hear from them for weeks. Finally he got credit toward a M1A.  But they will only give you credit matching what you paid for the SAR8.  Supposedly the parts supply has improved.  You would have to call and talk to them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Their policy towards replacing these seems all over the place - from 1-1 swaps to the credit mentioned above.  I was told two different things by two different people and Springfield - the person in the repairs dept was only going to give me the credit since I bought mine used.  I did not have my receipt, so they were going to charge me the difference in retail prices between the two.  She was then out for quite some time and I then started dealing with the CS manager.  I mentioned that I heard of others getting relacement M1A's at no charge after I agreed to the deal with the repairs folks and she indicated that was all she ever heard was taking place (replacement).  She said she'd work out the replacement for me, no charge, and also upgraded me to the walnut stock ;).  Couple of weeks later, it finally shipped, but they still charged me.  I spoke to the person in repairs who was a bit pissy at this point - she seemed to feel that I "went behind her back" to renegotiate another deal, but it wasn't my fault that she never responded to my multiple voicemails over a period of weeks...  Anyway, took a bit of arguing, but I got them to refund the charge.

So... moral of the story is, if you bought it used, there seems to be a bit of room for negotiation.  If new, they should do a direct replacement.  They will ask for a receipt if used, but I don't think they can reasonably expect you to have it (if you got a good deal on it, you may not want to give them the receipt ;) - claim it was a private sale or something.  Make the argument that it shouldn't matter which # owner you were - it really doesn't make sense that they would give the original owner a complete replacement and you less for a rifle in the same condition...

I think you will end up getting a better deal by NOT mentioning replacement yourself.  Don't make it seem like you are trying to take advantage of them, but rather that you bought the rifle in good faith and sent it in for warranty repairs in good faith.  If you start off asking for a replacement right away, they will likely give you the minimum - apparently there are folks who are intentially buying beater SAR-8's with known issues for this purpose, or in some cases intentionally damaging their own.  They know this is happening and I would imagine not very happy about it or inclined to go the extra mile for folks they may suspect of doing this.  I found out they were doing this before the notified me, but after I sent mine in - I did not do it expecting a replacement, but rather a repair.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information.  I sent the rifle with a letter stating the problems I had with it.  I did not ask for a replacement. If memory serves me correctly I paid ~$850 for the rifle.  Since I am a packrat I probably have the receipt here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the information.  I sent the rifle with a letter stating the problems I had with it.  I did not ask for a replacement. If memory serves me correctly I paid ~$850 for the rifle.  Since I am a packrat I probably have the receipt here somewhere.

OT: everyone should save EVERY receipt or be able to document how much you paid for your gun, thus ownership. I put my original receipt in a safe deposit box along with my important papers, you never know when you might need it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OT: everyone should save EVERY receipt or be able to document how much you paid for your gun, thus ownership. I put my original receipt in a safe deposit box along with my important papers, you never know when you might need it.

Yeah, my point was that if someone was to have gotten a very good deal on their SAR-8 and provided the receipt to Springfield, then they would only get a credit/cash back for that amount.  Say, if someone were to have paid $425 for theirs , getting a new M1A would be better than $425 back...  May behoove you to "lose" the receipt, if that is the case.  

Worse comes to worse, in my situation, the least they offered was me paying the difference in retail price between the SAR-8 and whatever replacement I wanted.  IIRC, it was $175 difference between the SAR-8 and the synthetic stocked standard M1A.  Being a 1K+ rifle, may be best if anyone who paid under $800 to "lose" their receipt if they find themselves in this situation and would rather a replacement rifle vs. cash back for purchase price.

Rocko

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked one up awhile back but haven't been able to do much shooting yet. Just what are all of the problems that I should be looking out for??
Do I need to wear body armor next time I go to the range??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent my SAR 8 back for repair because of FTE about 50% of the time.  I waited a few months and then called in to see what the deal was.  The ended up replacing it with a M1A w/ walnut stock.  I have been waiting for a few weeks for it to transfer over to my dealer.  I was offered the option of them reimbursing me (but I needed a receipt) or replacement.  I had about $700 worth of trade into the SAR 8.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I called them today, it has been received.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
My SAR-8 (Aluminum) HATED HK steel mags. I bought a bunch an aluminum ones, and all problems were solved. (FTE, fail to close the bolt,...)

Also, MINE had a dent in the cocking tube!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
SA called rifle is none repairable. So I get a refund ($950) or a new M1A.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
SA called rifle is none repairable. So I get a refund ($950) or a new M1A.

Do you have a M1A already? If not, take them up on the offer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have one yet so I think I will take it.

Since I have several G-3 magazines already I will probably buy a PTR later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you think they will do this if the SAR-8 is not damaged?  I have one and would love to "trade" it for a M1A.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't have one yet so I think I will take it.

Since I have several G-3 magazines already I will probably buy a PTR later.

Good! Mags are going to be a bit on the pricy side around $30-40 for USGIs, but what the heck, you only live only once.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I am getting a M1A and they even let me upgrade to the loaded M1A for a fee.  Can't wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top