Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2017 12:02:24 AM EDT
Here in Belgium, original home of the FAL rifle, FAL parts are getting scarce, very scarce and there is no more gas tube on the market.

I am looking at making a new batch, as FAL & L1A1 are getting unserviceable in the hands of
the shooting community but I would need some advice from knowledgeable members.

I was able to get all the requirement but what material would be suitable ? Of course, a chrome-plated 4140 would be probably perfect...But the
company willing to manufacture doesn't have chrome-plating capacity, I would
need to out-source it to another company.

They have suggested to use stainless steel but, as far as I know, no FAL gas tube was ever made of SS.
Would it be a good idea ? Otherwise, I am thinking (maybe) of standard carbon
steel (something like 1040) with QPQ treatment.

Any input welcome
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]
DSA has offered a stainless, short (late style) gas tube for quite some time.
https://www.dsarms.com/p-13480-fal-sa58-stg-type-short-4-1116l-gas-tubecylindersilver-solder-flux-not-included.aspx

They also offer a blued chromoly full-length (early style) gas tube.
https://www.dsarms.com/p-13479-fal-sa58-standard-gas-tubecylinder-full-length-threaded.aspx

I don't know how popular the silver solder (high temp solder) method of attachment is there, but I'd be inclined to offer both lengths, unless market data tends to favor one.

I'd probably just roll out plain 4140 (or 4150) tubes initially. I think most would favor a black tube, since part of it is visible through the vent holes, and the originals were black.

I'm guessing more full-length tubes than short tubes were used during FN's FAL production. I'd research that, and factor it into my decision, since most builders/buyers interested in FALs go for original/historical configurations (at least in the U.S.)

Belgians must be lacking more than just gas tubes, right? Are the older ones failing with some regularity?
The early (full length) style was known to develop damage in the threaded and pinned area, which is why the shorter tube and high-temp solder procedure were adopted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
In Belgium, gas tubes (and pistons) are failing due to a lack of maintenance...Some months ago, I stripped a FAL Para. I needed a wooden hammer to get the piston out of the tube: it hasn't been cleaned for at least 20 years. The tube is toasted, way oversize I.D.

I saw DSA tubes but those aren't easily available here...It's why I took the plunge. If needed, I also plan to make new springs kit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]

The example of the threads on the left is commonly how the longer threaded tubes fail (assuming proper maintenance). They eventually snap off as the wall gets thinner. The author of the post where I found this thinks the thread got compressed by someone unscrewing it against the retaining pin, but I have seen gas cutting cause this damage over a long period of time.

Silver solder eliminates this problem because there is no gas blowing by to cause the cutting, and no pin. Soldered short tubes were the FN standard factory repair for replacing damaged gas tubes (because it didn't matter if the gas block's internal threads were bad also). Then they began incorporating short tubes on new production rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
As I mentioned on the FAL Files, I still think nitriding/meloniting would be the best application, especially if there are a lot of tubes to be treated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top