Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
What do you like about your FAL as opposed to an AR10 or M1A?

Price of mags is the only advantage I'm aware of, but I'm open to any other advantages.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with its advantage of have an adjustable gas block as well.

What else?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Borrow one and take it to the range and you'll know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought my first a couple of months ago, second only a month afterward. I had never fired a FAL until I bought the first one. I had fired just about every type of .308 semi other than the FAL up until that time. M1As are'nt bad, Galil .308 a little sharper rap to the shoulder. Most of the .308 rounds I have fired have been through an HK 91, a very accurate and reliable rifle. Now, I am not recoil sensetive by any means, but after I fired the FAL for the first time, I never realized shooting .308 ammo by the case could be this much fun. The recoil is very mild compared to some other rifles in this caliber. As I said, I have bought 2 in the last several months, along with 2 Stg58 parts sets, one of which I am keeping as spare parts, the other, being like new, will be built. I wish I had bought one a LOOOONG time ago.
My first FAL

My second FAL

and more to come!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Trim smooth lines, no muss no fuss, lightest recoil of any .308 rifle I have ever fired, cheap and plentiful magazines, Simple gunsmithing and repair, lots of aftermarket goodies, Cheap compared to M1A, AR10 or HK91, even the shitty ones can be easily made into good shooters, best bipod, hundreds of variants, easy home builds if you are inclined to do so, 100% reliable with anything even remotely resembling ammo.

Check this link:
The Tale of Ol' Dirty. A Texas Legend

On a bet, I loaded 5 rounds with the bullets backward [sierra 168 gr BTHP] just to see if they would feed.  They not only fed flawlessly, they also fired and 4 actually hit a 50 yard target.  [the first was not aimed, 2 of the 4 were keyholed, but they were on paper..]

Let's see your M4 do that...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Ease of use.

Manual of arms is pretty easy as I am a lefty but the M1A1 is also just about as friendly.

Has a bolt hold open.  I really like that feature.

Ergonomics is great (replaced standard grip with M249 grip) and its comfy.

Low felt recoil.

Reliable.  My DSA Fal has been 100% over 1,000 rounds.

Only drawback I have with my STG58 is weight.  I was so used to shooting and training with an AR15 M4 variant that the FAL felt very heavy especially in the front.  The removal of the bipod and long ass flash supressor did lighten the load a bit.  

Everytime I have the FAL at the range and someone is around they want to shoot it.  They always smile after the first shot too!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, this one is quite handy, lightweight, reliable , and packs a punch!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I just sold mine off a couple of months ago, but I think that it's the best .308 battle rifle available.

I like

gas piston driven (notice all the hubub to change the AR to gas piston?)
cheap mags
adjustable gas (for cheap ammo)
possiblity for side-folding stock
less recoil than alternatives (AR10 and M1A)
ergonomics
light weight compared to alternatives (AR10 and M1A)
bolt hold open
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
When I first became aware of FALs, I was drawn to them because of economics. I bought a video tape about building an FAL and within 2 hours of having watched it, I had assembled my first FAL including torquing the barrel and properly setting the head space.
I was able, at that time, to build 3 FALs and outfit them with 10 mags each for the same money as 1 M1A.
I have since come to prefer the ergonomics of the FAL over those of the M1A. I love my M1A, but I enjoy shooting my FALs more.

Oh yeah, one more thing. My FALs with Austrian StG58 barrels shoot just as well as my M1A. (1.5 inch groups @ 100 yrds w/ Australian 308 surplus ammo)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It is elegant yet assertive. There is a slight nitrocellulose bouquet that is most pleasing. It should be experienced to be appreciated.

Where in Alabama are you. If you're near Huntsville let me know. You're welcome to try mine.

Women, children and the faint of heart shouldn't look at the Ol Dirty post. Dayuum.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Fit---feel---function
extreme ease of cleaning/breakdown
I have 3 FAL's and 2 M1A's----although the M1A's have been 100% reliable, if I was heading out the door and could grab only one rifle, it would be a FAL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget overall cost. You can get a DSA receivered STG 58 for substanially less than an M1A or AR10. Take that extra 200 - 500 dollars (or more) and purchase more ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my AR and my FAL.

The AR to me is like driving a Toyota truck (not a bad thing).
The FAL to me is like driving an old Chevy truck. (not a bad thing)

The only way I can describe it.
How can anyone not appreciate both is beyond my understanding.

I think the FAL might have more after-market stuff and may be a little more of a beater than a AR10 or M1A. Probably easier for the "do it yourself" type also.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]
M1A= no pistol grip = not an option.

And I love FALs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
M1A= no pistol grip = not an option.

And I love FALs.

What are you talking about - pistol grip IS an option as is collapsible stock

A Good FAL costs just as much as a good M1A/M14. With the FALs you have the option of buying crap for less too. If you want a crappy cheap M1A buy chinese/norinco. I have an M1A and have owned an FAL. I will be buying a DSA FAL very soon that will be costing more then my Sprinfield M1A. If you dont believe me see here

The reason why I like the FAL better is that the scopes seem to be better placed
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
For me the following got my addicted to FNs:

*Effective caliber
*Dependability
*Ergonomics
*Light Recoil

...what else do you need?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought an L1A1 built on an Entreprise receiver.  It was a gamble but the price was right.

I like the ergonomics,  have always been a .308 fan and I can use my inch pattern mags and metric mags run fine in it as well.  The trigger guard can be switched over for winter use (likely I'd never need that, but its there in case); the FN/L1A1 is very easy to maintain, and mine has been very reliable.    

Then there's the mystique of it - the right arm of the free world!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
History.  Read one too many books where FN-FALs were used in real world conflicts.

Would have loved to get AR15, but no selective fire capability cramps the performance.
FAL does great in semiauto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top