Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:00:35 AM EDT
Alright.... yes I know up fron't were are talking about a poor platform for it.... still:

I was testing some loads the other day and on a lark I decided to single feed my rounds by placing the cartridge in the chamber by hand. I changed nothing else. I fired 5 shots and got 1 5/8" CTC. All the other groups were running 2.5 to 3.5" that day. I tried it again later, same results, about 1" improvement over previous shots. I noticed the same thing with 168gr OTMs. Single load them and I actually got down to 1.4" average of (5) 5-shot groups.

So, that leads me to ask. What about the magazine loading process could be at issue here? 1-2" would be fine to me, 3" and above is not very interesting to me. I'm curious what there is out there to tighten it up a bit. At 3", plus the weight, plus my wobble in anything other than prone or bench... it's making it hard to keep it on a paper plate at 100yds. (I have got to work on my wobble too).

My barrel is DSA's Badger barrel made for the SA58 Predator. I know people do accurize them but I also hear it may well not be worth it. I don't have cash to just buy an M1A or an AR-10 and besides... I like my FAL.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 10:15:23 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:07:33 AM EDT
Ahhhh.... good point. So since you lock against the carrier shoulder instead of the bolt locking into the breach that pressure might be changing the angle of the bolt? Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:00:59 PM EDT
So if that pressure on the bolt carrier is making a difference in the accuracy, how can some people say that cutting a notch in a metric bolt carrier(to make a forward assist handle work) won't affect the accuracy also?

I mean that is one of the most significant moving parts of the whole gun and then you hack into it, that has got to make some kind of impact.

I would love to have a forward assist, but I'm also trying to get as much accuracy out of my FAL as possible. I will have to try single loading them and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:20:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:01:24 AM EDT
Tightening of the head space will help out, don't over do it. I had a Belgian 18" FAL, and installed a .003 thicker head space shoulder on it. It would just close on the Go guage. Groups shrank around 20%.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 12:42:01 PM EDT by Maddogkiller]
This subject has been discussed in great detail including remedies for "bolt carrier slop" across the street at FALFILES.

Essentially, steps must be taken to ensure a tight fit between the bolt and carrier and also the carrier and upper receiver. This in addition to setting the headspace to 308WIN minimums.

So many folks that built FALs insist on having the headspace set "in the middle" just to make double triple sure that the rifle is reliable. One consequence of adhereing to that nonsense is that accuracy suffers.

All of the FALs that I have built have been set to 308WIN minimum headspace and all of them are dead nuts reliable.

If you do a search over at FALFILES, use "vertical stringing" and "bolt carrier slop" in the gunsmithing forum as keywords.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:59:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maddogkiller:
This subject has been discussed in great detail including remedies for "bolt carrier slop" across the street at FALFILES.

Essentially, steps must be taken to ensure a tight fit between the bolt and carrier and also the carrier and upper receiver. This in addition to setting the headspace to 308WIN minimums.

So many folks that built FALs insist on having the headspace set "in the middle" just to make double triple sure that the rifle is reliable. One consequence of adhereing to that nonsense is that accuracy suffers.

All of the FALs that I have built have been set to 308WIN minimum headspace and all of them are dead nuts reliable.

If you do a search over at FALFILES, use "vertical stringing" and "bolt carrier slop" in the gunsmithing forum as keywords.

Thanks!
Top Top