Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 12:37:07 PM EDT
I have been shooting my STG58 which is a great gun and very accurate but my only complaint is that in order to get a good site pic I have to really cinch my cheek down low and hard onto the butt stock and when firing the stock hits me right on the cheekbone hard.  At first I thought it was just my anatomy involved but at the range today I had 2 other ARFCOMer's try the rifle and both wanted no part of firing more than a couple shots and both agreed that the stock hitting them on the cheek was painful.  Anyone else experience this?  Any suggestions as to a cure?  I am thinking about putting on a new receiver cover with the rail and then mounting an EO tech which would not require me to put my cheek down onto the stock but would love to hear from some other people who have this rifle.

THANKS
p.s.  I also changed the butt stock to one of the X series thinking this might help and I think it actually made it worse??
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people have replaced the STG stock with a humpback stock similar to the original Belgian stock.  Some feel it helps with the cheek abuse.  I have an Israeli humpback stock on my STG and it still whacks my cheek pretty hard.  I don't worry about it much, though, 'cause I know it's worse for the guy on the other end of the muzzle!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to say the same thing as Brad, but I think the X-series is already a humpback contour.  If that is still whacking you too hard, I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have the gas system closed off?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Also,
You don't want to keep your head up so far (in AR position) on an FAL.  Move it back and that should help alot.

Rich
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an STG58 carbine, with an Eotech 511 on it. You can be pretty loose with the cheek weld and still get a decent sight picture, so the Eotech should help.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the X series stocks on my SA58, and from a bench it slams me pretty hard too. The X stocks have a sharper angle.

I'm thing about getting the www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=CR139A&storeid=1&image=itccheekrest.jpg

I think this would help. My FAL has the tiger stripe cammo, so I dont want to change the stocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top