Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 4:11:20 AM EDT
Well for the past few months I've been thinking about getting another 7.62 battle rifle. I have three  M1As and a 7.62 Grand so I wanted something different..
After much research and agonizing I decided to go with an FAL variant... I just did not like the sights on the G-3 style rifles so I went with the FAL.

At the Berea Gunshow this weekend I plunked down the money for a Congo STG58 variant. Brazilian parts kit with an Enterprise metric receiver. She has black furniture and a 16 inch barrel. I read the FN manual but really know little about the quirks  of the FAL series of rifles..

I would especially like any tips on zeroing (other than the FM manual's version..I plan on sighting in with a standard 25m/250 meter battle sight setting

I would also like tips on the upper receiver/carrier with the stripper clip guide..

also what's a good all around FAL user's manual I have the factory book; it came with the gun
what other tips and advice can you long time FAL guys give me......
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Linger awhile here:www.falfiles.comand all your questions shall be answered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto Ikar.

Also, visit www.tapco.com and the DS Arms web site.

Enjoy, and welcome to the club. They are addictive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
One note to add if you have functioning problems try drilling the gas hole out to .119" to .130" this will allow the rifle to function  with the gas reg. setting around 5 or 6. If this has already been done then don't worry and enjoy shooting this fine rifle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I took my new toy to the range last Wednesday. I have now named it the "FN Failure to Feed". However the chap I bought it from gives a one year warranty so it's going back to him next week.

After a good cleaning and adjustment of the gas system it started acting up.
It would failure to strip rounds off the magazine after the first four or five rounds. This happened with all six magazines that I had. The bolt would either overshoot the rounds or feed them half way.

Still it was fun to shoot and it shot a decent group. I just might have to get another.. they are addictive!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do get another, find something besides Enterprise, Hesse or Century.  A good quality build on an Imbel receiver shouldn't be too hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you get it from Rapid Fire in south west OH ?? I have been to their websight and have heard from others here who have good results from them .

keep us posted please .
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well I took my new toy to the range last Wednesday. I have now named it the "FN Failure to Feed". However the chap I bought it from gives a one year warranty so it's going back to him next week.

It would failure to strip rounds off the magazine after the first four or five rounds. This happened with all six magazines that I had. The bolt would either overshoot the rounds or feed them half way.

Still it was fun to shoot and it shot a decent group. I just might have to get another.. they are addictive!

My Century FrankenFAL is built on an Imbel receiver .  It runs like a sewing machine .  Just can not buy enough ammo to feed it .

Love the adjustable gas system .  Soft recoil .  :-)

God Bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It would failure to strip rounds off the magazine after the first four or five rounds. This happened with all six magazines that I had.
The bolt would either overshoot the rounds or feed them half way.

I hate hearing these FAL horror stories. Here is the only FAL rules you need to know. DSA upper receivers on DSA STG kits with DSA compliance parts witn new DSA barrels or DSA built rifles. There are no other FALS in the U.S. Not trying to be a jerk but until you fire a FAL set up by DSA and not some clown in his garage with a vise and pipe wrench, you ain't shot a FAL.
DSA ALL THE WAY

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have only shot one other FAL and I'm not sure what it was, but the DSA I just got is definitely top notch. I'm sure there are other great rifles out there, but patriot is right - DSA is a safe bet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE: Well I discovered the problem I beleive. There was unusual wear on the one side of the hole in the lower receiver where the hammer goes through.. It appears the bottom of the bolt is catching on this and that's what's slowing it down. I spoke to the man I bought it from and he actually found another lower with the same wear pattern in the same area. We have not been able to connect to exchange the gun but will do so late next week.  Hopefully this will correct the problem.

Well I am thinking of getting a full size FAL after I become more familiar with them... That one  maybe a DSA..maybe not.

No I did not buy the gun from Rapid Fire...

BTY does anyone have advice on those dust covers with the stripper clip guides on them? That's one of the first things I want to put on this weapon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
DSA is the best although they are not an FN licensed producer, they purchased the FN licensed machinery and blueprints from Styer, who was licensed. Their SA58 is the only brand new FAL out their. Unless its a preban or DSA SA58, its just a parts gun. By the way the DSA STG58 is also just a parts gun but an excellent parts gun
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DSA is the best although they are not an FN licensed producer, they purchased the FN licensed machinery and blueprints from Styer, who was licensed. Their SA58 is the only brand new FAL out their. Unless its a preban or DSA SA58, its just a parts gun. By the way the DSA STG58 is also just a parts gun but an excellent parts gun

DSA are parts guns but they do make new rifles too that are mostly DSA made with some Steyr parts. Nonetheless, their stuff is awesome FN contract or not I always prefer DSA to Imbel for many reasons. Never heard of that lower receiver wearing problem, wonder what type of lower that is or if this is a mix-match gun we're talking about here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It would failure to strip rounds off the magazine after the first four or five rounds.

You know, my DSA STG58 was doing the SAME THING.  I replaced the return springs (in the buttstock).  I laid the old springs side by side with the new ones, and the old ones were a full 3" shorter than the new ones.  I manually cycled some ammo thru it, and it seemed to feed everything.  Now if I can just get some RANGE TIME, I'll test it out

Good luck, and have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top