Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a Garand receiver with nasty tool marks.  This one is Breda receiver BMR 61.

And here is a nicely machined Garand receiver. This one is Breda BMR 67. It was made on the same day as BMR 61, yet BMR 61 has such poor matching.

Many WW2 receivers are similar to BMR 61. Many 1950s receivers are similar to BMR 67.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If I specifically request (nicely) a post-WWII H&R Expert Grade from CMP, I wonder if they would be able to fulfill it...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I specifically request (nicely) a post-WWII H&R Expert Grade from CMP, I wonder if they would be able to fulfill it...
View Quote

You would be much better off advertising in the GCA Journal.  On the other hand, here's a video on the Expert Grade. It seems pretty good; however, I would change the stock

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can ask but its all luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you buy a rifle from the CMP, get the Expert Grade.

Here's a video where some poor soul received three beaten up rifles. I dont know how the CMP can send such junk out.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked for a post war Springfield for my 2nd one and got a H&R. It's luck of the draw for sure
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you buy a rifle from the CMP, get the Expert Grade.

Here's a video where some poor soul received three beaten up rifles. I dont know how the CMP can send such junk out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-uaCWokLc

View Quote

That's deceptive. Those are Rack grade in that video, clearly shown in the title
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's deceptive. Those are Rack grade in that video, clearly shown in the title
View Quote

I said that he should get the Expert Grade and not the junk depicted in the video. Go back and read what I said. I said, "Get the Expert Grade"
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's an Expert Grade from earlier this year.

Unboxing- CMP Expert Grade M1 Garand and Function Test.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I said that he should get the Expert Grade and not the junk depicted in the video. Go back and read what I said. I said, "Get the Expert Grade"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize, I was in hurry.

I'll be the first one to admit there is a risk of pitting with the current batch of Expert Grade Garands. My theory is towards the end of last year and beginning of this year they were doing better QC on what parts they were using. The more orders they got the more pitted ones went out.

They then started offering the Rack grade and people started loading up on those. Hopefully that will save some better looking receiver's to be used for Expert builds.

As I've mentioned, I've thought about trying my luck again with another Expert but decided to take a different approach. I'm not as fond of Garands as I am M1 Carbines so the 2 I have now will be enough
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Should I expect a CMP Expert Grade to have heavy pitting?
View Quote

Yes, look at the current CMP auctions. There is an expert, field and service grade all with heavy pitting. Watching what people have receiver in 2022, CMP has churned out the worse condition receivers ever. Every time I can think they go lower, someone posts something worse.

Experts are $1100. The Garand market has cooled off fast with inflation. You can find nice rifles that far exceed an expert in condition and collectibility for nearly the same price to a hundred or two more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, look at the current CMP auctions. There is an expert, field and service grade all with heavy pitting. Watching what people have receiver in 2022, CMP has churned out the worse condition receivers ever. Every time I can think they go lower, someone posts something worse.

Experts are $1100. The Garand market has cooled off fast with inflation. You can find nice rifles that far exceed an expert in condition and collectibility for nearly the same price to a hundred or two more.
View Quote

What's a good Garand auction site?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Or ... the OP could go the GCA route as was suggested.

Join up and place an ad in the GCA Journal for a "shooter" M1, like a Rack Grade or Field Grade from the early 2000s. Be specific and indicated in the ad that you're looking for a reliable shooter-grade Garand, one with all GI parts and wood and no pitted receiver.

There are a LOT of those type of M1s (i.e., mixmasters with no real collector value) just sitting in safes and not being shot by their GCA owners, many  - if not most  -  of whom likely already own 8-15 Garands of various makes and grades.

That said, be ready to spend up to $1500.00 ... but they're out there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Join up and place an ad in the GCA Journal for a "shooter" M1, like a Rack Grade or Field Grade from the early 2000s. Be specific and indicated in the ad that you're looking for a reliable shooter-grade Garand, one with all GI parts and wood and no pitted receiver.

There are a LOT of those type of M1s out there (i.e., mixmasters with no real collector value) just sitting in safes and not being shot by their GCA owners, who likely already own 8-15 Garands of various makes and grades.
View Quote

I started this thread thinking I wanted to acquire a receiver and send it to Fulton to assemble into a rifle.

Based on feedback here, my thinking has now evolved into wanting a CMP Expert Grade, either from CMP or 3rd party resale.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I started this thread thinking I wanted to acquire a receiver and send it to Fulton to assemble into a rifle.

Based on feedback here, my thinking has now evolved into wanting a CMP Expert Grade, either from CMP or 3rd party resale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a LOT of those type of M1s out there (i.e., mixmasters with no real collector value) just sitting in safes and not being shot by their GCA owners, who likely already own 8-15 Garands of various makes and grades.

Yes ... and a 3rd party sale might result in you getting a better specimen of the breed than what you'd get with a CMP Expert  - "better," in the sense of an all-USGI rifle at the early/pre-2012 Rack- or Field-Grade level.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes ... and a 3rd party sale might result in you getting a better specimen of the breed than what you'd get with a CMP Expert  - "better," in the sense of an all-USGI rifle at the early/pre-2012 Rack- or Field-Grade level.
View Quote

Got it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's a good Garand auction site?

Thanks.
View Quote

Gunbroker is decent but you have to vet sellers and have to be able to tell what they have from limited photos. It is also an investment of time. I have watched the auctions for months looking for particular M1’s examples and receivers. Every time it has really paid off when a good deal pops up. In the process I have become even more knowledgeable in identifying and grading M1’s in auction listings. There is a risk to buying there but I have never had an issue.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got it.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

Thanks.

On the 3rd party resale of a Expert Grade make sure that the auction or sale includes photos of all of the gun. There is a number of them listed on GunBroker and at gun shows that only show you the upper part of the receiver above the wood line.

The major pitting issues will be below the wood line.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On the 3rd party resale of a Expert Grade make sure that the auction or sale includes photos of all of the gun. There is a number of them listed on GunBroker and at gun shows that only show you the upper part of the receiver above the wood line.

View Quote

Excuse my ignorance, but how would a pic show below the wood line?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take the barrelled action out of the stock.  Like this

You want to see a close up of the receiver legs and the metal that hides under the wood.

Here is an extreme example of what may be hiding under the wood!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As Fluffy mentioned, some sellers will field strip the rifle and take photo's similar to what I've posted. Here's a example of someone being honest on Gunbroker IMO

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948578818

This one shows minor pitting below the wood line.

Here's another honest one

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948541865

The "hang tag" on this one shows 8/25/22 The 1st 8/24/22 so these are both from recent batches.

If you look through these "Expert" grades listed on GB you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/search?Keywords=m1%20garand%20expert&Sort=13&PageSize=24
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/IMG_1012_JPG-2465455.jpg

You want to see a close up of the receiver legs and the metal that hides under the wood.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/IHC4_JPG-1638688-1-2534608.jpg
View Quote

Yikes!

That is really bad.

What likely caused that?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yikes!

That is really bad.
As
What likely caused that?
View Quote

The rifle was probably near the ocean and salt water remained under the wood.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Check this out.  Start at 12:06.

Palmetto State Armory's NEW H&R M16A1 Clone - SHOT Show 2022
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yikes!

That is really bad.

What likely caused that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/IMG_1012_JPG-2465455.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/IHC4_JPG-1638688-1-2534608.jpg

Yikes!

That is really bad.

What likely caused that?

The current batch of CMP Garands came from the Philippines. They were stored in very poor conditions. Unfortunately, this is only large batch of Garands available for import into the US. The only other large batch known are in Korea and Obuma banned their imports back to the US as "weapons of war". CMP can't get them since they were sold to the ROK, not loaned like what CMP is allowed to sell.

The really sad part is a large number of the ROK Garands were new production rifles, never issued and "pickled" for long term storage in 55 gallon drums and comsoline. Those would be well preserved.

You can cry with the rest of us, there is rumored to be 250.000 Garands and M1 Carbines in ROK hands. A few have trickled into Canada I think but no one knows were the majority are
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep. Pretty cool but like most I am curious to see what their price point will be. They are going to have to keep it low to compete with the cmp (which will be dang near impossible) and with the private market.
View Quote

I can't imagine that CNC milling a Garand receiver out of a solid billet is THAT much harder than machining an AR-15 lower.  I'm almost positive that it can be done, in quantity, at a reasonable (sorta ish) price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@DonFlynn

Very nice rifle!

Does CMP send you pics of the receiver before you commit to it?

Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're wanting a nice Garand, my suggestion is get the Expert model from CMP for $1100 bucks. This will be much cheaper than having Fulton build you one for the current $2300 bucks plus having to provide a hard-to-find USGI receiver that will add to the cost

The Expert's use new production barrels and stocks. There is a risk of getting one with pitting but that doesn't affect function on Expert models.

Case in point

My 1st Expert Garand

I got that in February when they ran $1000  and was pleased with what I got. So much so that I ordered 2 more since. One had more pitting than the other but both are serviceable. I traded 1 to a buddy and kept the 3rd.

If you still want Fulton to tweak it after you get it you can do that. The Garand I linked I contacted FA about repairing the very minor pitting in the pictures. They said they could "blend" it in and I like the darker Parkerizing they use on their rifles so I sent it in for a tech check and repark. I figure unless they find an out of spec op rod it'll run me a few hundred bucks as opposed to the $2300 bucks plus $500-600 for a USGI receiver.

As to why FA doesn't make Garand receivers it's never been cost effective until very recently to CNC machine them. Cast Garand receivers have never been popular (see new Springfield Armory) and surplus USGI receivers were still fairly easy to find.

FA's M1 carbines do use a CNC machined receiver but those are very expensive and limited run.

@DonFlynn

Very nice rifle!

Does CMP send you pics of the receiver before you commit to it?

Just curious.

I was up to Perry for the National Matches and they had some of the Expert Grades Don is referring to and they were fantastic looking rifles!

Living in PA, it might be worth checking with the North Store about stock of these rifles and making the trip to Port Clinton to select one in person. That way, you know exactly what your getting. I doubt you'd be disappointed with what you get in a Expert Grade, but going yourself removes all doubts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Probably not. I would be curious where the other parts would come from. Are there that many parts kits floating around? New criterion barrels and mil surp parts? Only time will tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Pretty cool but like most I am curious to see what their price point will be. They are going to have to keep it low to compete with the cmp (which will be dang near impossible) and with the private market.

I can't imagine that CNC milling a Garand receiver out of a solid billet is THAT much harder than machining an AR-15 lower.  I'm almost positive that it can be done, in quantity, at a reasonable (sorta ish) price.

Probably not. I would be curious where the other parts would come from. Are there that many parts kits floating around? New criterion barrels and mil surp parts? Only time will tell.

Odds are the supply of Garand parts is getting low also. That could be a way to get the ROK Garands back would be destroying the receivers and importing remaining parts back as kits. The biggest problem IMO with a new production Garand is how well they would sell. Collectors will look down their noses at new production rifles, and those looking for a "shooter" might balk at the price.

I use my experience with Fulton Armory M1 Carbines to base my opinion on. The "early" production FA M1A1 Carbine I purchased used early this spring has a barrel date of 8/12 and serial number under 00200 on it. The 1 I purchased and received January 2021 has a serial number under 001800. That's only 1600 units in a 10 year time frame and assuming FA only uses that serial number range on their Carbines. If they share the serial numbers with their M1a and AR15 series that number could be even lower in number of Carbines produced by them
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Odds are the supply of Garand parts is getting low also. That could be a way to get the ROK Garands back would be destroying the receivers and importing remaining parts back as kits. The biggest problem IMO with a new production Garand is how well they would sell. Collectors will look down their noses at new production rifles, and those looking for a "shooter" might balk at the price.

I use my experience with Fulton Armory M1 Carbines to base my opinion on. The "early" production FA M1A1 Carbine I purchased used early this spring has a barrel date of 8/12 and serial number under 00200 on it. The 1 I purchased and received January 2021 has a serial number under 001800. That's only 1600 units in a 10 year time frame and assuming FA only uses that serial number range on their Carbines. If they share the serial numbers with their M1a and AR15 series that number could be even lower in number of Carbines produced by them
View Quote

Springfield Armory made new Garands not that incredibly long ago.  2010 maybe?

ETA: here's some food for thought: why can't whoever is making M1A receivers make Garand receivers?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ETA: here's some food for thought: why can't whoever is making M1A receivers make Garand receivers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern Springfield Armory used cast receivers for their M1 Garands. At the time they were still competing with a decent supply of surplus Garands at a lower price. I'm not sure if they used surplus USGI parts or made their own.

Most "modern" M1A's are made using cast receivers. The only exception I know of is Bula Defense, they use forged ones and USGI spec parts

https://buladefense.com/shop/m14/m14-22/

Note the price. IMO a new production Garand would be similar in price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Get a cmp gun, and you sound way too fussy about condition. A gun from the cmp will function, and they will take care of you if it does not. Pitting under the wood line that does not affect function- who cares.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get a cmp gun, and you sound way too fussy about condition. A gun from the cmp will function, and they will take care of you if it does not. Pitting under the wood line that does not affect function- who cares.
View Quote

Fair enough.  But I take pride in what I own as do many others in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The military cared and collectors care. You rarely find arsenal rebuilds with any measurable pitting. Pitting can reduce strength and increases the possibility of failure from fatigue. You also don’t give a GI risking his life a poor condition rifle. Serious collectors are also not interested in poor condition rifles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd have to drop forge the basic shape before starting the dozens of machining steps.  M1A receivers are the closest thing to Garand receivers being produced today; take a look at how LRB Arms makes their forged receivers.

But by all means, if you have a better mousetrap for making reasonable price, forged Garand receivers, start it up and make a mint!

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#37]
A brand new M1 would cost north of $3000.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A brand new M1 would cost north of $3000.

View Quote

There is a current Gunbroker auction of a like new Springfield with a buy it now of $2500. Looks like it may be an early 2000’s Greek return. I think I would go that route first.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is a current Gunbroker auction of a like new Springfield with a buy it now of $2500. Looks like it may be an early 2000’s Greek return. I think I would go that route first.
View Quote

I used to visit a local machine shop to have gas cylinders measured. The owner of the shop is a very talented machinist and I showed him a Garand receiver. He was amazed by it and after looking it over for a good five minutes he explained that it would cost between $1500 and $2000 to make today. He also found it hard to believe that such a receiver had been produced by the millions.

He also explained to me that the gas cylinder alone would be an expensive part to make today. He told me that the gas cylinder was made from a forging.  

Making the whole M1 from scratch would be a very, very expensive undertaking today.

Ohio Ordnance Works is currently producing a modernized version of the BAR that sells for $4500.  The BAR was also expensive to make and the current price just shows you how expensive it can be to bring a classic firearm back into production.

I love the Garand, but the reality of the situation is that it does not make economic sense to tool up and make the M1 today.

The AR-10 is an efficient, economical design far better suited for mass production.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I used to visit a local machine shop to have gas cylinders measured. The owner of the shop is a very talented machinist and I showed him a Garand receiver. He was amazed by it and after looking it over for a good five minutes he explained that it would cost between $1500 and $2000 to make today. He also found it hard to believe that such a receiver had been produced by the millions.
He also explained to me that the gas cylinder alone would be an expensive part to make today. He told me that the gas cylinder was made from a forging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the gas cylinder and making all the various small parts to Mil-Spec standards would be the toughest challenge. Not to mention the op rod.

M1-profile barrels are probably the easiest thing to make and offer at a reasonable price.

Making the whole M1 from scratch would be a very, very expensive undertaking today.
Ohio Ordnance Works is currently producing a modernized version of the BAR that sells for $4500.  The BAR was also expensive to make and the current price just shows you how expensive it can be to bring a classic firearm back into production. I love the Garand, but the reality of the situation is that it does not make economic sense to tool up and make the M1 today.
The AR-10 is an efficient, economical design far better suited for mass production.

I agree.

That’s why I eyeball any shot-to-snot M1 that happens to trickle into one of several LGSs. For whether the other parts are still in-spec and whether it can be rehabilitated into a “shooter” for simply the cost of a new barrel and new op rod spring.

I’ve spent a lotta time over the years cultivating friendly “contacts” with gunsmiths and counter-help at these places, plus giving them a list of what I’m looking for and my cell #. Every once in a while I’ll get a call when one comes in and I’ll drive over and check it out. One of these scores happened last summer. The M1 turned out to be an old Blue Sky import M1 from back in the day. A 2-mil S.A. with all USGI parts and stock, but really not in good shape. It came in as one of about a dozen guns from an estate. I bought it for $750. The barrel was an out-of-gauge sewer pipe, but the gas cylinder was still within spec. The op rod needed a new piston but was otherwise fine.

I had it re-barreled with a 7.62/.308 Criterion, replaced a couple of other parts from my stash of NOS CMP parts,  a new op rod spring, and a 3-pc Minnelli M1 stock from Brownell’s when they still had those. Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing re-parked everything.

Now it’s one of best shooters and decent looking too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top