User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i love my M1 garand in 308. and as a navy man. i say they are true garands since the navy converted their M1s from 30\06 to 308.
View Quote
It was a military design, so I take it as the final version of the Garand.

But I also just ordered two WW2 bayonets.  But I only have one Garand.  The only reasonable solution is to mail out to the CMP to get another one; hoping to get that packet out tomorrow.

I learned my lesson on the .308 Experts; time to get off my ass and get my order in before they run out.  

Not even sure what I'll do with a second.  Maybe a Mini-G conversion, maybe "just" another .308.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As was stated, the Garand will probably never be declared a "assault weapon". For those who live in states with 10 rd limits having a fixed 8 rd magazine is not a real hinderence.  The real advantage of the M14/M1A platform is its ability to be easily scoped.  I have both.

Here are my self built 308 Garands.  Full sized and "Tanker".

https://i.imgur.com/iREFQh8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pZTOSMY.jpg

View Quote
@Sailormilan2

How well does your tanker run?  And what is the pouch on the tanker's buttstock?  If it holds an en-bloc, where can I get one?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Sailormilan2

How well does your tanker run?  And what is the pouch on the tanker's buttstock?  If it holds an en-bloc, where can I get one?
View Quote

My Tanker runs fine.  I built it using a Woodless Dane from the CMP that had an absolutely worthless barrel on it.  The stock pouch holds 2 en blocs, and you can get them from Olangapo Outfitters.  Left or right hand, different camo colors, and can be had in .308 or 30-06.  Whether or  not they have any in stock, you would have to check.  They've really been slammed since Covid and the riots in the PNW.
I have them for both the Garand and the M1 Carbine.  Well made, and work.  Though I'm a little iffy on how they attach on a Carbine.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/equipment-and-gear/grand-stock-pouch/
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My Tanker runs fine.  I built it using a Woodless Dane from the CMP that had an absolutely worthless barrel on it.  The stock pouch holds 2 en blocs, and you can get them from Olangapo Outfitters.  Left or right hand, different camo colors, and can be had in .308 or 30-06.  Whether or  not they have any in stock, you would have to check.  They've really been slammed since Covid and the riots in the PNW.
I have them for both the Garand and the M1 Carbine.  Well made, and work.  Though I'm a little iffy on how they attach on a Carbine.

View Quote
I just bought one, thank you!

My refreshed .308 Garand oughta return tomorrow, I can't wait!  Here's to hoping the shipper doesn't screw anything up somehow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My refreshed .308 Garand oughta return tomorrow, I can't wait!  Here's to hoping the shipper doesn't screw anything up somehow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be sure to post up a few pics of this Bad Boy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Be sure to post up a few pics of this Bad Boy.
View Quote
I got it back, and it's gorgeous.

Unfortunately I can't get pictures yet, due to competing family priorities.  But I am planning on taking it to the range tomorrow.

It'll be good to check off another long-time project/grail gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Received my rechambered Garand back from Jeremy2171 (same poster as in this thread), and the Worksmanship/pricing/turnaround were great.  He kept me informed every step along the way, and mic'd out my parts on my rifle to let me know some that needed replacing.  Reasonable prices and a more than fair turnaround time given what I wanted him to do.

I got a chance to put 50 rounds through it, and it worked flawlessly when it was fed from clips that were worth a damn; any issues were 100% the fault of the old, bent surplus clips I was using, and the newer/better condition ones were flawless.  It was about 1-1.5 MOA with some ammo, and about 3 MOA with other ammo.  I'm quite pleased with Jeremy's work , less so at my clip selection  

After reading this thread, researching, and thinking on it, I also got a CMP rack grade Garand that I want to send back to Jeremy for a .308 rechamber/re-Arsenal, and then to Shuff for a mini-G conversion with an Ultimak rail.  As received the "new" CMP rifle had a horrible stock, but the stock from my "old" rifle matched the new stock almost exactly.

I'll get some photos up in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a couple more pictures, but they hardly do Jeremy's work justice.

Next to its ragged out brother:

And with some bayonet on the end:

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Good lookin M1

I have a CMP built RM1 Special that I truly LOVE to shoot
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice! … Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Pictures added to OP.

I still want to get more pictures, this rifle's a beauty.  

Thanks, Jeremy2171!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got some better pictures of this rifle:

But now, Jeremy2171 has again worked his magic on getting my 2nd Garand, a Rack grade, converted to .308 with an ultimak install.

While it's already gorgeous, this rifle will soon be off for a Shuff's Mini-G treatment, which I didn't even know existed before this thread.  You guys are costing me money.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Finally got some better pictures of this rifle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/36C6BB83-9CFF-49EE-BC66-D1475612D8D4-2556872.jpg

But now, Jeremy2171 has again worked his magic on getting my 2nd Garand, a Rack grade, converted to .308 with an ultimak install.

While it's already gorgeous, this rifle will soon be off for a Shuff's Mini-G treatment, which I didn't even know existed before this thread.  You guys are costing me money.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/1384E803-E984-4951-9E19-8957D76F795E-2556873.jpg
View Quote
Today I sent my second .308 Garand off for a Shuff's Mini-G conversion.  Because "get both" seemed like a great answer.

And now I wait.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Today I sent my second .308 Garand off for a Shuff's Mini-G conversion.  Because "get both" seemed like a great answer.

And now I wait.
View Quote
In case anyone cares, this rifle was confirmed by Shufflin's to have been received a couple days later, and this weekend they cashed my check.

They still said it would be 90 days from receipt of everything until I received my rifle back, but oh well; I'm 2/3 down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely gorgeous re-build brother -- and eagerly waiting to see how the mini-Shuff comes out!

Merry Christmas to you -- and looking forward to the Mini-G for the New Year!
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Absolutely gorgeous re-build brother -- and eagerly waiting to see how the mini-Shuff comes out!
Merry Christmas to you -- and looking forward to the Mini-G for the New Year!
View Quote

Very nice! Also can’t wait to see how your Mini-G turns out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Jeremy swapped my Expert Grade barrel over to 308. Zeroed in a few minutes and was hitting 300yd plates too easy! Gonna have to take some pics and make a thread.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Jeremy swapped my Expert Grade barrel over to 308. Zeroed in a few minutes and was hitting 300yd plates too easy! Gonna have to take some pics and make a thread.
View Quote
You should  :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#19]
New ETA is about 2 weeks behind schedule, so nothing more until mid-February
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm almost depressed reading about your Mini G. Mine is currently on the way to Tim, and seeing your timeline, if I'm looking at May or June, I'll need therapy. I'm really leaning towards having my HRA barreled to 308 too but keep the original barrel just in case. This rifle is two parts from being correct, which is the only reason I hesitate. But if I keep the HRA '06 barrel I can return it to correct. Decisions...
Anyway, hurry up and get your G out of the way so I can get mine done!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm almost depressed reading about your Mini G. Mine is currently on the way to Tim, and seeing your timeline, if I'm looking at May or June, I'll need therapy. I'm really leaning towards having my HRA barreled to 308 too but keep the original barrel just in case. This rifle is two parts from being correct, which is the only reason I hesitate. But if I keep the HRA '06 barrel I can return it to correct. Decisions...
Anyway, hurry up and get your G out of the way so I can get mine done!
View Quote
I have yet to hear from him since the last time I reached out to him in January, and my rifle is now close to 4 weeks beyond the original date estimate.  This puts it 2 weeks beyond the "two more weeks" estimate.

I'll email him again on Thursday to check in on its status, as that will be 5 weeks beyond the original finish date.  In two more weeks from today, it will have been 90 days from when he cashed my check (which was a while after he received my rifle).

It's already been 4 months, at this point I hope it comes back sometime in the next 2, when I am hoping to move.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Garand all the things! (Don't mind the photo bombing m1a) I can attest to the Mini-G being a very cool piece. And boy is it an attention getter at the range.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a UPS email that the supposed ETA for the return of my rifle is Friday.  But I'm busy during the middle part of that day, so I'm hoping they attempt delivery later in their route/later in the day.

We shall see.

ETA:  UPS updated to Saturday, which actually works better for me.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Mini-G got delivered back here today.  I'm currently trying to get the accessories installed on it, hopefully I'll have pictures up later today.

Initial observations:  Much, much handier than the full size.  It makes me giggle.  Also smells like smoke  But that may have been the UPS guy, where he dropped off the box also smelled like smoke
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude you have to post pics! I'm trying to be patient, as Tim confirmed mine arrived ok, but he didn't open the box and USPS confirmed the MO I sent hasn't been cashed. No idea when mine will be done. I sent the parts from Standard for the Beretta gas system, but didn't touch the new CMP stock, figured I'd work on that when it got back. Damn I want to see mine, but I'll settle for seeing yours!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#26]
As promised, here are a couple of quick pictures of my .308 "Mini-G".

As received:

This was a relief.  A whole corder of the box's tape had come undone, and I feared for small parts (like the normal gas lock, and Allen keys for the shuster gas system).  Kudos to Fulton Armory's shipping box for surviving trips to two different gunsmiths!

With a hair better lighting, after putting on the sling and buttstock pouch:

With bayonet (which might need a hair of relieving to lock fully):

I will work on getting the scope into its rings, and hopefully mounted, later tonight when I have a chance.

Aside from the initial smoke smell (which I blame on the UPS driver), my only complaint is that the Ultimak rail seems ever so slightly 2-3* tilted off to the right, but it could just be that Ive never needed to notice before if I was holding a Garand at a slight can't.  Nothing that isn't easily overcome during scope adjustments.

The whole rifle is considerably handier than before.  I can't wait to shoot it, but it might be a couple of days before I can get it to a range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Here it is with a scope attached:

I think it's gonna be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
SWEET!! That turned out really nice. I'm on the fence about the rail. Don't get me wrong, I need help with my eyesight, which is why I went with the Beretta gas system, I can add that rail without having to relieve the op-rod, which would mean a trip back to Tim. I went that way so I CAN add an optic if I just can use the irons anymore. But your rifle turned out so nice! I already have my sling and Olangapo pouch ready to go on too. Man I can't wait...
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that I know it can still mount a 1905/1942 bayonet on there, that's amazingly slick.

Tip off rings on the scout scope, flip up NcStar red dot underneath?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now that I know it can still mount a 1905/1942 bayonet on there, that's amazingly slick.

View Quote
It's an M5A1, not a 1942 type.  Not with the Smith Enterprises brake.  With the normal gas lock, then yes you could mount a typical 1942 type Garand bayonet on it.  My M5 might need just a hair bit of relieving on the crossguard to clear the extra girth of the Smith brake, then I'll be able to have a bayonet equipped on my .308-chambered, scout scoped Garand carbine.

For a minute I thought about adding a WML in some sorta offset mount that attaches under the optic, but there's not a whole lotta clearance there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's an M5A1, not a 1942 type.  Not with the Smith Enterprises brake.  With the normal gas lock, then yes you could mount a typical 1942 type Garand bayonet on it.  My M5 might need just a hair bit of relieving on the crossguard to clear the extra girth of the Smith brake, then I'll be able to have a bayonet equipped on my .308-chambered, scout scoped Garand carbine.

For a minute I thought about adding a WML in some sorta offset mount that attaches under the optic, but there's not a whole lotta clearance there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking slightly higher tip-off rings with maybe a laced on cheekpiece.  You can always mount a light offset on the optic itself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was thinking slightly higher tip-off rings with maybe a laced on cheekpiece.  You can always mount a light offset on the optic itself.
View Quote
 You're right, didn't think about that.

For my uses, I like carrying a reload or two on the rifle, and cinching my cheek down.

But for alternate scope uses, the leather cheekpieces have a certain old-school charm.

Another fun thought would be to get a beat up mixmaster Garand, get a good 'smith to turn it into an M1C or M1D type (complete with leather cheek piece), and then give it the mini-G treatment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SWEET!! That turned out really nice. I'm on the fence about the rail. Don't get me wrong, I need help with my eyesight, which is why I went with the Beretta gas system, I can add that rail without having to relieve the op-rod, which would mean a trip back to Tim. I went that way so I CAN add an optic if I just can use the irons anymore. But your rifle turned out so nice! I already have my sling and Olangapo pouch ready to go on too. Man I can't wait...
View Quote
Thanks

If I had known the Beretta system wouldn't require op rod mods for a later Ultimak rail, I might have gone that route.  As it was, the BM-59 hybrid thing would've only saved me like $100 after it was all said and done, and I figured it was simpler to stick with the Mini-G gas system if problems cropped up.

My scope is in some QD LaRue rings that hold zero.  I can easily take it off and shoot irons for a few years, but I know that time isn't kind to irons-only, so I figured I'd get the Ultimak on there now so I can keep shooting later.  

To each their own.  But this thread cost me the cumulative couple grand that my Mini-G product cost, and I'm glad it did; I haven't been that excited to receive a firearm in a long time.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I was about to call it quits with the Beretta system and just go like you did, but then Standard Parts came through for me and found the muzzle break I wanted so I wouldn't have to cut down one of those 7" breaks. Had they not found that break I would have just done what you did. I like those red dots that mount where the rear sight goes, but then you lose the irons all together. At some point I'll probably end up putting a dot on a rail and call it good. The idea of a Mini-G Sniper actually has some appeal to it. Not sure how far you'd have sniper grade accuracy, but I can see where it would make a handy package.
I saw where Tim actually center mounted a scope on a Garand, his personal rifle I believe, and it has me wondering, why couldn't you do that, but use a flip to side mount like they do on those red dot magnifiers? Is there a zero problem with those mounts? Above my paygrade, just wondering out loud. Probably a million dollar idea and will be at SHOT next year with everyone throwing money at it for their M1...
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I think Tim likes the Holbrook device that holds your clip, and turns the Garand into basically a giant SKS that you have to single load into the action (but allows a center mount).  I specifically instructed that he not install a Holbrook device on mine, because scout scopes exist for top feeding rifles.

And another picture just because:

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't remember telling him not to install a Holbrook, but since I don't have a rail installed I'm thinking it's obvious I don't specifically intend to hunt with this. Isn't it just the perfect, all-around rifle? Is there anything it can't do? Ok reach beyond 500 yds is probably something it can't do but I think it could be called on to do it all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't remember telling him not to install a Holbrook, but since I don't have a rail installed I'm thinking it's obvious I don't specifically intend to hunt with this. Isn't it just the perfect, all-around rifle? Is there anything it can't do? Ok reach beyond 500 yds is probably something it can't do but I think it could be called on to do it all.
View Quote
Several reviews online indicated that he often installs them, and the Mini-G page indicates modifying parts for "bolt hold open".  I specifically mentioned it in my work order just in case.  His website isn't particularly well-organized.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For my uses, I like carrying a reload or two on the rifle, and cinching my cheek down.

But for alternate scope uses, the leather cheekpieces have a certain old-school charm.

Another fun thought would be to get a beat up mixmaster Garand, get a good 'smith to turn it into an M1C or M1D type (complete with leather cheek piece), and then give it the mini-G treatment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet one of Haley's offset mounts might fit under the scope.

Nice looking rifle

I've been contemplating an ultimak with a T-1 and wml on my full length rifle
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

An Arisaka offset mount should fit easily.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Just curious, did you ship via an FFL? UPS? USPS?

I've been meaning to send him one but the new Fedex and UPS bans on shipping firearms by individuals has been annoying.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Just curious, did you ship via an FFL? UPS? USPS?

I've been meaning to send him one but the new Fedex and UPS bans on shipping firearms by individuals has been annoying.
View Quote

"Unlicensed individuals" can still ship Title 1 rifles & shotguns via USPS.  It's not very expensive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Unlicensed individuals" can still ship Title 1 rifles & shotguns via USPS.  It's not very expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Just curious, did you ship via an FFL? UPS? USPS?

This.

As a warning, it was a PITA.  They wanted me to sign a form that I was an FFL.  I told them I was not an FFL, they said they couldn't do it.  So I showed them on the USPS website that they could, in fact, mail a firearm from a non-FFL to an FFL.  I had Shuff's FFL printed out (also a copy in the box), the work order printed out (also in the box), and was very calm and polite; it still took a level 3 manager to tell the desk peon they could ship it, but only if I didn't include any ammo.

YMMV, and if you don't go in prepared to the hilt, be prepared to be denied your rights because they're too stupid to know their own rules.

This isn't my first rodeo shipping firearms, so I went in "over prepared" so that the bureaucracy didn't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve got a C&R so that shouldn’t be an issue. But I think I can also set up a pickup with UPS now that I looked at their policy closer.

Been meaning to send one in for a while. One of the Hackberry Rack grades. Didn’t have these issues when I had him do a BM59 years ago.

Does Shuff post his FFL somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, I had to email him.  I would forward you a copy, but doing so seems uncouth, and I'm not sure Shuff is someone you want irritates with you if you want him to work on your stuff.

Ye be warned, making sure I had the order documents correct/accounted for was a PITA, as  relevant details for what I was trying to accomplish were scattered over three separate pages on his website.  Even so, I apparently missed details regarding a $35 "degreasing fee" (which was buried somewhere that seemed irrelevant to what I wanted him to do), which he waived due to the delay in returning my rifle.

I'm still glad I sent it to Jeremy2171 before Shuff, to rechamber it and check it out to replace some out of spec parts.  Jeremy2171 works some beautiful magic, but also manages to communicate with clients.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, I had to email him.  I would forward you a copy, but doing so seems uncouth, and I'm not sure Shuff is someone you want irritates with you if you want him to work on your stuff.
Ye be warned, making sure I had the order documents correct/accounted for was a PITA, as  relevant details for what I was trying to accomplish were scattered over three separate pages on his website.  Even so, I apparently missed details regarding a $35 "degreasing fee" (which was buried somewhere that seemed irrelevant to what I wanted him to do), which he waived due to the delay in returning my rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the Timbo can get frosty. It just depends on the issue that’s irritating him at the moment.

DO NOT ask him what he thinks about the CMP Forums site or certain posters there, the ones who trash his M1 “conversions.”

I'm still glad I sent it to Jeremy2171 before Shuff, to rechamber it and check it out to replace some out of spec parts.  Jeremy2171 works some beautiful magic, but also manages to communicate with clients.

Tim communicates too, but only after 90-days+ from when he received your M1 for whatever work you wanted done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Was able to get out and shoot the Mini-G earlier. I mounted a scout scope to it, but that didn't magically turn it into a DMR.  Still a 3 MOA rifle with mil spec .308.  I didn't have time enough to dial it in 100% given some of the spread.

Even so, it was a hoot with just irons.  Absolutely a blast to shoot, and considerably more handy than a full-size Garand.

I'm toying with putting some form of RDS on it, because whenever I put a magnified optic on something I somehow expect more out of it, or expect better accuracy.  But by the same token, it's accuracy I would gladly accept if just shooting irons or something without magnification, so .yeah.

Great fun, and reminds me I need to get better clips.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top