Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/13/2002 6:38:44 PM EDT
Here is my dilema, I purchased a new Springfield M1A Scout Squad last month. I have plenty of mags, ammo and spare parts. I'm down to the last item, the scope. I am looking for a short to medium range scope, it has to fit this requirement. Now don't flame me, but I'm REALLY considering the Leupold CQT on a smith mount. I also like the idea of a Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. But the Aimpoint is more of a CQB scope I think. What do you guys think? I have been tossing over this for the past 2 weeks and can't make up my mind.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:23:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M203:
Here is my dilema, I purchased a new Springfield M1A Scout Squad last month. I have plenty of mags, ammo and spare parts. I'm down to the last item, the scope. I am looking for a short to medium range scope, it has to fit this requirement. Now don't flame me, but I'm REALLY considering the Leupold CQT on a smith mount. I also like the idea of a Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. But the Aimpoint is more of a CQB scope I think. What do you guys think? I have been tossing over this for the past 2 weeks and can't make up my mind.

I would go with the aimpoint. Its going to be hard to find a scope with enough eye relief to work on the scout setup. you are really limiting yourself when you use a forward mount like that instead of a reciever based one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:41:11 PM EDT
I'm considering both mounting options. First being a scout mount w/ an Aimpoint and the second using a ARMS #18 or Smith mount with some type of Leupold scope. I just can't make up my mind. Any other opinions out there?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:05:54 AM EDT
Elcan?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:51:24 AM EDT
What's the Elcan? Any links to pics? Does anyone think the Leupold CQT cope would be best choice?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2002 7:45:13 AM EDT by Hoplite]

The C79 Elcan is a 3.4x Optical Sight similar in usage to the TA01, TA11, TA31 ACOG series.

got that from another member who uses them in the canadian army. so its pretty much a low relief scope that cant be mounted forward like a scout scope I think these are pretty heavy also and bettr options can be had for a smith mount that are lighter and slightly more powerful
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:15:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:20:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By btdrygulch:
photos.yahoo.com/bc/btdrygulch/vwp?.dir=/photos&.src=ph&.dnm=M1A-ACOG.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/btdrygulch/lst%3f%26.dir=/photos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Here's My M1A with an ACOG I bought recently off the EE

Nice setup, I have an ACOG on my M4 and LOVE it. What kind of mount is that? I am really leaning towards a Smith mount, so I can still use the iron sights. Then either a Leupold CQT or US optics. I have to do some research on the USO stuff today. The only reason I hesitate about the Loopy CQT is battery life and it will be just TO BIG for my M1A Scout Squad.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 12:17:29 PM EDT
The mount is actually part of the ACOG....I really like it ... and it does allow use of the iron sights
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:08:45 AM EDT
Leupold will be too high, so will any ACOG, so will the ELCAN.

Aimpoint works great.

Or, do like I'm doing and try this.....

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:38:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Leupold will be too high, so will any ACOG, so will the ELCAN.

Aimpoint works great.

Or, do like I'm doing and try this.....

www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03/114x26.jpg

Any pics of it mounted on an M1A? PLEASE!!! ;) Do you have a web site for the scope also? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:05:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:44:10 PM EDT
Here's the IOR M2 on my M14s:

and...

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
Cincinnatus
What kind of cheek rest is that and did you put the bipod on yourself? I'm looking for a QD stud for my M14.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:27:59 AM EDT
Cheek rest is available from DSARMS.COM.

I did the stud myself. It took a lot of grinding and sanding.
If you have a belt sander, and a decent sense of mechanics... try it.
Otherwise, Springfield does it cheaply, for you.
Top Top