Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
I came across a local government entity selling 4 Springfield Armory m1a's......I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger so I don't know a thing about M1a rifles.  What I know about the rifles is this:

All 4 are low serial number 003xxx to 005xxx.....sold as receivers in 1975 - 1976 according to Springfield Armory's records.  They are also cast receivers.

They belonged to a law enforcement shooting team but haven't been fired in many, many years.

I have no idea what parts are inside- could be anything but since they were built and used for competition shooting in the late 70's and early 80's, they are probably USGI parts (but that's just a guess).

I know that's not a lot of information, but what should I look for as far as parts?  Worn bolts?  Condition of the inside of the barrel?  What can I do to check these rifles?  ( I'm trying to quickly get my hands on a go/no go guage).

Are these rifles worth picking up at about $800 each sight unseen?   Should I fo on this deal or stay away?   I have always wanted an M1A and the price seems pretty reasonable for such an early rifle.  Should I grab all 4 and use 3 of them as trade fodder other stuff That I really want?  Thank you in advance for your advice!

Updated with better pictures!   They seem to be in much better shape than I originally thought!  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If a shooting team was using them are there log books and maintenance records?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Pic is not much help but for $800 each buy two!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
$800? Fo. Fo hard!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
$800 is cheap if they are mostly USGI parts. I would expect commercial match barrels, which is fine. Barring unforeseen foolishness, I'd probably buy them all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$800? Fo. Fo hard!
View Quote
This. If there are any left pm me the address and phone number to the seller.

ETA there are at least two USGI parts on the rifle pictured... the flash hider and stock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
For $800 each I'd buy all 4 of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
That low of serial numbers they are almost guaranteed to have all USGI parts. 

At at that price you should buy them all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Updated the original post with better pictures......the rifles seem to be in much better shape than I originally thought!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy all of them, yesterday... 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
thats a nice rifle...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Replied to your IM. Buy em all
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, my guess is they're going to have a good amount of USGI parts which makes them extra special.  And I think 800 would be a very good deal.  There is a chance the barrels are shot out, but you could always have them rebarreled and you'd still probably be money ahead.  

Only other thing I could think of you might want to replace is the op rod spring.  Maybe extractors and bolt springs, but it's going to depend on how much they were shot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can I borrow $3200?

OP; get some pictures of the heel of the receiver, for masturbat...... err.... research purposes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Replying to your IM, yes I'd snap those up in an instant.  Once you get them home post up more pics and the people here can help you decipher what you purchased.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Stocks are aftermarket other then the butt. No F/A cutout on the side.

Barrel manufacturers, bolt manufacturers, trigger group markings, and barrel condition and wear are all important.

$800 is a good price IF they are in decent shape with lots of GI parts.

If they have a GI Match barrel, you may need to pull the top of the stock off as companies like Canadian Arsenal were marked on top of the barrel. [both my 4 digit NM's have Canadian Arsenal standard diameter barrels]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
@Hunduh

PM sent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m not really an expert but depending on GI parts count and wear, this could vary between “a good investment” and “deal of the decade”.

Good luck, hope it’s the latter!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I see a hooded rear sight. Past that, pics don't tell us much. Markings on the parts would help a lot. None the less, since these were used by a team, I'll assume they were not assembled using junk. In fact, I'd bet at the time these were assembled, USGI parts were about the only thing available. Markings will confirm or refute that.

Regardless, I hope your next post has close up pics with the inside of your house as the backdrop because you own at least two, preferably all four of these.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can I borrow $3200?

OP; get some pictures of the heel of the receiver, for masturbat...... err.... research purposes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I borrow $3200?

I dropped $4k last month on toys.  I'd have to go into savings for those M1As if someone offered them.  

Hope OP buys them and posts a bunch of pics.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, my guess is they're going to have a good amount of USGI parts which makes them extra special.  And I think 800 would be a very good deal.  There is a chance the barrels are shot out, but you could always have them rebarreled and you'd still probably be money ahead.  

Only other thing I could think of you might want to replace is the op rod spring.  Maybe extractors and bolt springs, but it's going to depend on how much they were shot.
View Quote
This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top