Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 8:32:46 PM EDT
Had all of my paperwork ready for the CMP but I didn't want to take a gamble for my first m1 so I found a CMP garand from a guy an hour away. He bought it from the CMP last year and never shot it.

It's a Springfield from Sept-Oct 1944. Barrel is from 1947 and it has a 3 throat and 2 muzzle.

I think it has a few thousand more rounds in it before I install a new barrel.

I ordered a Schuster adjustable gas plug and I have some reloads I made ready for it.

9 more days then it's out of jail!

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine.  After shooting my ugly old rack grade Dec. 44 SA M1 I put my M1A in the safe.  That old M1 shoots rings around the M1A (and the M1A has a NM barrel on it).

Mine's got a Schuster in it, too.  Just follow the instructions for installation/adjustment and things will go fine.  No issues from mine, ever.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats. But I fear these things will multiply faster than ar15's!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure why you think it only has a few thousand rounds left in her. That barrel will probably outlast you.
There is also no need for a Schuster valve if using proper handloads. Nice looking rifle, enjoy her
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure why you think it only has a few thousand rounds left in her. That barrel will probably outlast you.
There is also no need for a Schuster valve if using proper handloads. Nice looking rifle, enjoy her
View Quote
I want a new barrel when the groups open up. I will probably get a chrome lined barrel and never replace the barrel again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's painfully true!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hear of receivers cracking. Using s schuster plug and m1 garand loads will keep the violent forces down to a minimum and keep the receiver for many more years.

Prevention/maintenance is cheaper than replacement, with guns and wives.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to finish the stock.

I was thinking of 3-5 coats of BLO + Mineral spirits mix. Letting each coat dry. To show the grain.

Then finish off with 2 coats of Tom's 1/3 Military finish.

I want to keep a low sheen military finish, not a glam gloss finish.

Has anybody used Tom's on a new stock?

I don't want to sand and remove the CMP cartouche. I know I could add in a sealer and then sand lightly with 220 grit sand a paper to create a slurry and fill in the holes. Makes for a nice low sheen finish but it's not Military.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want a new barrel when the groups open up. I will probably get a chrome lined barrel and never replace the barrel again.
View Quote
It depends on your shooting expectations.............. shooting at 600yds is different than 100yds.
Nothing wrong with having a spare barrel but I would expect that barrel to last for awhile.

BTW..... I don't think there is  a chrome lined barrel for the M1 but I could be wrong.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been shooting garands for many years and thousands of rds and havent wore out a barrel yet. There is no need for a adjustable gas screw if using correct ammo. What we keep you receiver heel from taking a battering is replace the op rod spring with one from Orion 7 or Garand gear. Who knows how old the spring is that is in it
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It depends on your shooting expectations.............. shooting at 600yds is different than 100yds.
Nothing wrong with having a spare barrel but I would expect that barrel to last for awhile.

BTW..... I don't think there is  a chrome lined barrel for the M1 but I could be wrong.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fulton Armory has CL barrels for $299.

I will be shooting at 600-1,500 yards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been shooting garands for many years and thousands of rds and havent wore out a barrel yet. There is no need for a adjustable gas screw if using correct ammo. What we keep you receiver heel from taking a battering is replace the op rod spring with one from Orion 7 or Garand gear. Who knows how old the spring is that is in it
View Quote
Will do next payday. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I bought one in '15 from CMP. Shot it two weeks ago, and just mailed in my paperwork for another one last week.

Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would like to finish the stock.

I was thinking of 3-5 coats of BLO + Mineral spirits mix. Letting each coat dry. To show the grain.

Then finish off with 2 coats of Tom's 1/3 Military finish.

I want to keep a low sheen military finish, not a glam gloss finish.

Has anybody used Tom's on a new stock?

I don't want to sand and remove the CMP cartouche. I know I could add in a sealer and then sand lightly with 220 grit sand a paper to create a slurry and fill in the holes. Makes for a nice low sheen finish but it's not Military.

Thanks.
View Quote
The CMP stocks from what I've seen are pretty tough to refinish due to the finish they (Boyds) put on them to start with.  Unless something has changed most people had to strip the finish completely off the rifle for it to take on any BLO, RLO or TO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The CMP stocks from what I've seen are pretty tough to refinish due to the finish they (Boyds) put on them to start with.  Unless something has changed most people had to strip the finish completely off the rifle for it to take on any BLO, RLO or TO.
View Quote
What?!?! I thought they were unfinished!

I wonder if a 50/50 tung oil/turpentine will work? Turpentine would thin out the Boyd’s finish?

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to oil it first thing the night I pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked her up this afternoon!

Took her apart, greased her and will work on the sight next.

I’m in love.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wonder if a 50/50 tung oil/turpentine will work? Turpentine would thin out the Boyd’s finish?

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to oil it first thing the night I pick it up.
View Quote
Read this for some good info.
CMP stock re-finish
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CMP stock re-finish
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMP stock re-finish
Thanks svt!

I did a 50:50 pure Tung Oil turpentine coat last night, wiped off the excess and it was absorbed into the finish. Don’t know if the turpentine thinned our the finish and allowed Tung Oil to get through but it worked.

Will take a pic and see if there is any difference later.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice score OP!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want a CL barrel, you better let Fulton do it. Adjusting the head-space can be an expensive bitch for the "do-it-yourselfer".

600-1,500 yards will require a good "glass" bedding and a few other tricks.

get this book to know more:  
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What size target will you be shooting at 1500 yards?  This I gotta see.  Not saying it can't be done, I'm just sayin......  I'd like to see that.

Nice looking Garand OP.  You might like the barrel it has on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool rifle OP. I had one about 18 years ago with the replica cast receiver. I've always wanted to get an authentic one ever since I sold that thing. How involved is the process going through CMP? Is it a PITA?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What size target will you be shooting at 1500 yards?  This I gotta see.  Not saying it can't be done, I'm just sayin......  I'd like to see that.

Nice looking Garand OP.  You might like the barrel it has on it.
View Quote
It a steel target at 1,500-1,600 yards. It’s more of a fun shot. I’ve used an type 99 Arisaka using irons and bullets are dancing around it like a 20ft circle.One of these days I’ll hit it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very cool rifle OP. I had one about 18 years ago with the replica cast receiver. I've always wanted to get an authentic one ever since I sold that thing. How involved is the process going through CMP? Is it a PITA?
View Quote
I had all of the paperwork ready but in California it still has to ship to an FFL plus the FFL charges $50-100 + taxes.

It’s redundant as the CMP goes through a background check but California sucks balls.

I have a CCW and did an Appleseed shoot. But it was going to cost me $730 for the rifle + $15 for a notary signature + $2 ship envelope + $100 FFL fees + $54.75 taxes + and I could get a great rifle or a beat up wall hanger. $901.75

Nah. Found one online from a guy who bought one from the CMP but did not shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want a CL barrel, you better let Fulton do it. Adjusting the head-space can be an expensive bitch for the "do-it-yourselfer".

get this book to know more:   www.amazon.com/dp/B0006F5XOW
View Quote
Thanks but at 1,500-1,600 yards I’m going to use Kentucky windage.

I was going to let Fulton do it. Since chrome lines barrels are finished (too hard to use a reamer) they said they have extra bolts to get headspace for a chromed barrel.

I’ll shoot this rifle first and see what it can do before an get another barrel. Still has some life in it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]
congratulations.  I am going to get me one again one day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to install a chrome lined barrel on a Garand, you need to use a shorter bolt.  The WRA and SA-12 bolts are the shortest and they will just drop in when used with a chrome lined barrel.

It's actually very easy.  Just install and time the chrome lined barrel, drop in the stripped short bolt and then verify proper headspace with headspace guages.

Done.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep in mind m14 match barrels were unlike rack gun barrels NOT chrome lined as it was proven that chrome
Lining was statistically less accurate than unlined. Doubt you gain anything with chrome lining. Also as mentioned if you are handloading for it ( and it would be senseless to not be loading using garand specific data at this point) the schuster is completely unnecessary
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Keep in mind m14 match barrels were unlike rack gun barrels NOT chrome lined as it was proven that chrome
Lining was statistically less accurate than unlined. Doubt you gain anything with chrome lining. Also as mentioned if you are handloading for it ( and it would be senseless to not be loading using garand specific data at this point) the schuster is completely unnecessary
View Quote
I use the schuster for hotter factory ammo.

Just took the m1 out today for th first time, was able to hit a steel plate at 475 yards.

Didn’t set the sights yet. I reset it to 100 yards? The line before the 2.

Seem to hit anything I pointed. Loved it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you want to install a chrome lined barrel on a Garand, you need to use a shorter bolt.  The WRA and SA-12 bolts are the shortest and they will just drop in when used with a chrome lined barrel.

It's actually very easy.  Just install and time the chrome lined barrel, drop in the stripped short bolt and then verify proper headspace with headspace guages.

Done.
View Quote
No its not always that easy, depending on barrel and receiver lugs may need to lapped

Chrome barrel on a Garand is a waste of money, it is no more accurate than a unlined barrel
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#30]
double post
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Fantastic! I hope you enjoy yours as much as we love ours. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No its not always that easy, depending on barrel and receiver lugs may need to lapped

Chrome barrel on a Garand is a waste of money, it is no more accurate than a unlined barrel
View Quote
I have six chrome lined barrels on Garands.   In all six cases,  short bolts dropped in and headspaced properly.

I agree that chrome lined barrels are not more accurate, but I can't tell if they are less accurate.  But then again that may be me. Perhaps a better shooter could tell the difference.

But I do like to have a chrome lined barrel on a rifle to be used in bad weather.

And as for value, Bula Forge's unlined barrels are superb. They are very affordable and offer great accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done.

I’m not too worried about accuracy. Barrel life. I’ll never have to replace the barrel again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have six chrome lined barrels on Garands.   In all six cases,  short bolts dropped in and headspaced properly.

I agree that chrome lined barrels are not more accurate, but I can't tell if they are less accurate.  But then again that may be me. Perhaps a better shooter could tell the difference.

But I do like to have a chrome lined barrel on a rifle to be used in bad weather.

And as for value, Bula Forge's unlined barrels are superb. They are very affordable and offer great accuracy.
View Quote
A couple of things:

-I've never re barreled an M1 with a chrome lined barrel so I can't speak to it's ease.
-I can though say they aren't as accurate,  shooting chrome lined barrels on other rifles.
-The M1 survived several wars with "regular" barrels (along with Enfields and K98's) , so I don't see the need for one in bad weather.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’m not too worried about accuracy. Barrel life. I’ll never have to replace the barrel again.
View Quote
Sir:
FWIW..............

You seem to be concerned about 2 things: shooting the M1 out to 1500 yds and barrel life.  

You can shoot the M1 out to 1500yds just as well or not with the barrel it came with.  A chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

I doubt you will shoot out the barrel (whatever that means to you) you have now and so a chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

If You really are going to shoot the thousands of rounds necessary to shoot out an M1 barrel, you aren't just wearing the barrel but other components as well.  And a chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

What will make a difference in both those experiments of yours is true match conditioning steps you take with the rifle and the ammunition you use.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sir:
FWIW..............

You seem to be concerned about 2 things: shooting the M1 out to 1500 yds and barrel life.  

You can shoot the M1 out to 1500yds just as well or not with the barrel it came with.  A chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

I doubt you will shoot out the barrel (whatever that means to you) you have now and so a chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

If You really are going to shoot the thousands of rounds necessary to shoot out an M1 barrel, you aren't just wearing the barrel but other components as well.  And a chrome lined barrel will make no difference at all.

What will make a difference in both those experiments of yours is true match conditioning steps you take with the rifle and the ammunition you use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir:
FWIW..............

Agreed but in my state, time will only make the barrel swap more expensive and if oiberals
Have their way, it might be illegal to “upgrade” your gun one day. Hyperbole now but history has taught me those who like control will continue to control until there is nothing left to control.

The 1,500 yards is a pot shot kind of deal.  Not trying to do it and shoot for records, just a “I hit an 18” steel plate at 1,500 yards once” kind of thing. Let’s not discuss how many times I tried to shoot at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top