Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
To the guys on the M1A boards...I would like your opinions. I am considering purchasing a SA M1A as my SHTF weapon! I have an AR 15..but I prefer a weapon platform that can "dial AT&T" (reach out and touch someone). My question is which model SA should I acquire? Is there a vast difference between Standard and National Match? Wood vs. Fiberglass stocks? I would love to use the weapon in range competitions as well. But I hesitate taking a National match out in the boonies to get pounded? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
First let me direct you to Springfield web page; www.springfieldarmory.com They give a quick overview of each of these rifles specs. I went through the same dilemma as yourself before I purchased my M1A.
First what will you ask of your M1A?  Home protection, Range Matches, Hunting, ect... Mine was all the above, so I choose the "scout" as it has a 4" shorter barrel, this shorter barrel will allow you to acquire targets quicker at closer ranges & also has a forward scope mount (which serves the same purpose).
Yes, you lose a little velocity with the shorter barrel, but I'm confident that this rifle will still shoot well up to 500-600 yards.

As for the diff between the std & nm, yes I think these is a big diff. see Springfield web page for the details.

As for wood vs fiberglass, I would go with wood if you plan on entering matches, I think you can only have glass bedding done to wood stocks, but fiberglass is about 0.3lbs lighter

Let us know what you decide!
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To the guys on the M1A boards...I would like your opinions. I am considering purchasing a SA M1A as my SHTF weapon! I have an AR 15..but I prefer a weapon platform that can "dial AT&T" (reach out and touch someone). My question is which model SA should I acquire? Is there a vast difference between Standard and National Match? Wood vs. Fiberglass stocks? I would love to use the weapon in range competitions as well. But I hesitate taking a National match out in the boonies to get pounded? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!

I would grab the standard model.  It has everything you need.  All parts are made to GI spec and the barrel is chromelined (nto really a big deal, but there might be periods when you cant clean your rifle for several hundred to thousand rounds and this could be the difference between life and death).
the sights are far apart enough to allow a good platform to engage up to 800 meter targets (probably want to avoid these then attempt to shoot at them, would most likely be a waste of ammo).
Go with a synthetic stock because the weight factor gets worse over time.  

If you want to shoot matches with it then get a national match or super match one.  It will be more accurate out of the box but its components may weaken faster
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
For SHTF (i.e., practical or "social" work), I'd take the M1A Scout for the shorter barrel and optics mount, I'd also add a SF light and some sort of patrol sling.

For TEOTWAWKI (i.e., you're not expecting to resume your normal life but are envisioning something along the lines of Mad Max) I'd get the Standard - just for the enhanced corrosion resistance of the chrome lined barrel.

Best case.  Buy the standard and have the barrel swapped for a chrome lined one that has been cut back.  Add the optics mount - couple more bucks but hey, this is for SHTF so money shouldn't be an object, right?

You mentioned competition - many guys who know more about the M1A/M14 than I do seem to think that in order to get match grade accuracy out of an M1A, you end up sacrificing combat reliability, so force rank what your number one priority is for this weapon and select accordingly.  

HTH,

JAW

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a Standard and if it does not suit your needs you can always lop the barrel off.

If you buy a Scout its hard to add inches to a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys!! Just as I feared it seems I may have to get 2 M1As. One for the range and one for the bush. As for the stock...fiberglass makes sense for bush because of weight...and for the range whichever accepts glass bedding...sound like a plan????
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh! and Standard for the bush and National for matches
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top