Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 5:52:42 PM EDT
I have a lead on a pretty reasonably priced chi-com M1A, it is a polytech M14/S, it was bought before the ban and sat and was never used, still in the origional box, magazines in there origional packing material, It has a chrome lined barell too.

Im not a ninja sniper, and would be considered a pretty low speed kinda guy. I want a m14 for fun/ practice. besides I live in the PRK and alltho I have a M4 reciever, it is currently stationed on my desk holding some paperwork from flying away, and there arent many good choices for us here in the PRK.

I have been doing as much research as possible on this subject, and I was wondering what were your thoughts on the poly's ?

I dont want to spend springfield $$$, and I figured like anything I own and like ,I will be modifying it to suit my taste and needs any how.

thoughts...

and dont tell me to move to a free state...thanx
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive had a Chicom M14 for years and its been a good shooter. I did recently send it to get built into a match quality rifle. If you can get it for a good price go for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine and haven't had any problems with it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I tell prospective Chicom M14 buyers, always count on the gun NEEDING a $300 USGI bolt conversion and figger that into your price when comparing with, say, a used Springfield. Now you might get lucky and yours might not need it, or you might get it done for less, but at least you'll have some idea of what the gun could realistically end up costing you.

Other than that, the Polys are great rifles. Some need other minor things here and there (like sights or hammers) and most could use a USGI stock (cheap), but generally speaking if you find one for a good price it's worth buying. Many of us here have them and like them a lot. I wouldn't swap mine for a brand new SA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree with the other posters.  The Poly is a great rifle to own but expect to eventually mod it out.  If it headspaces properly, just enjoy it for now.  Then, over some time, accumulate the pieces you want to retro in and build yourself a world-class shooter.  The secret, however, is to buy it "right" so you can invest the bucks without exceeding it's market value.  I've got about $1300 into mine, including the original purchase.  I would put this rifle up against ANY other M1a on the market at this time.  It it truly my best shooter, hands-down.  If I were offered an even-steven swap for a NM SA, I'd say thanks, no.  Honest.

So, go for it. They aren't making any more ya know, and that receiver is top-shelf.

Rome
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I tell prospective Chicom M14 buyers, always count on the gun NEEDING a $300 USGI bolt conversion and figger that into your price when comparing with, say, a used Springfield. Now you might get lucky and yours might not need it, or you might get it done for less, but at least you'll have some idea of what the gun could realistically end up costing you.

Other than that, the Polys are great rifles. Some need other minor things here and there (like sights or hammers) and most could use a USGI stock (cheap), but generally speaking if you find one for a good price it's worth buying. Many of us here have them and like them a lot. I wouldn't swap mine for a brand new SA.

+1. A straight forward and informed reply. I concur.

I have a Poly. I've had it for years. It had the Smith Enterprises bolt conversion when I took it in trade several years ago. I've added several USGI parts over the years. I was lucky enough to get them from the CMP back when they sold nearly everything for the M14. But frankly, the Chi Com parts are fine and I've kept them for a budget build in the future. I just figured that since the USGI parts were so inexpensive ( they really were then), why not use them?

I must say that I wouldn't trade my Poly for any other commercial M14 currently being produced except for an LRB (yeah, like that's going to happen).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
thanx for all the great replies, it really help me to feel confident about puttin down my hard earned cash...I will post some pics when it arrives

out
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Good choice I have one and love it.

Max
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I must have been lucky because I have been using my Norinco M1A for both elk hunting and shooting for years and have never had a problem.

What price was he wanting to sell it for?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind that the Chicom receivers are some of the best on the market because they are Forged unlike the Commercial "name brands "that are out there such as Springfield. If you can get it "right" and eventually replace the bolt, and a few other pieces...it will last several life times. I have a Polytech that has around 2-3 k rounds through it and still has the original bolt. It seems to be an exception to the rule but I have a TRW bolt and Op rod assy. that will be going in it soon. I also have 2 Springfields that have around the same round count and both show the same wear with the exception to the bolt ( the polytech is noticeably wearing around the lugs ). Accuracy is right in line with both of the Springfields.

Good Luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top