Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:08:08 PM EDT
Who has handguards at a descent price?

I received a CMP field grade and will be shooting it for the first time sunday(can't wait,dang these weekend chores). The rifles metal is a great 90%, I only had to replace the lower band because it was cracked and missing the pin(thanks cmp for the replacement).

The stock is a SA walnut in good condition. It has few dings and is stamped with '2304'at the but.
The only draw back is the handguards. Both are cracked(repaired with gorrila glue), rough and the front guard has an arsenal repair.

I would like to replace them with decent walnut handguards that have some charracter as the stock has. I can get new from Boyds but then they would lack the marks of use(of course I could distress them to match the stock use) and I would have to stain them to mach the stock(proubly have to do this with any handguards).

Of course I could leave it a lone and buy a second cmp field grade. Then get a fancy french walnut stock and repark the metal if needed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:46:05 PM EDT
I would recommend getting the complete set from the CMP.
For 120 bucks, you get all three wooden stock pieces!
Add your stock metal and you will have a damn fine looking rifle. I saved my orginal(?) wood for one day when the old soldier gets a rest.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:06:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:39:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
i vote for the cmp stock set too. superb workmanship. i simply dropped my rifle in the stock and then started rubbing furniture oil/polish on it, it looks fantastic, and i didn't sand, stain, poly-ur-e-thane, or nothing.

wood and oil. not saying it couldn't stand a bit of working over, but i don't see putting a bunch of poly on it ever...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
heck, why not dress up your perfectly good new rifle with a nice stock?
Top Top