Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:06:01 AM EDT
If I ever get an M1A it would probably be the black fiberglass stocked Scout version,

What do you guys think about it?

Is that a teh ghey muzzle brake or a flash hider on it?www.springfield-armory.com/images/rifles/AA9126Large.jpg

How much would I expect to pay for one of these?

A little off topic but what is the 7.62x51 ammo and M14 magazine situation? Really expensive and hard to find or what?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the squad scout, and I prefer the 18in bbl length. It's shown with the Muzzle brake, but you can get it from the factory with the 5 slot Flash hider. I would actually suggest a SEI (Smith Enterprise Inc) Vortex Flash Hider, its what I use on my Mk14.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The scout is a hot little gun... I just got a socom 16.
As for the mag situation... its good.... Just got back from a gun show and magazines were coming out of the walls :)
Ammo on the other hand is going up faster than I care to think about... were you could get 1260 rd of SA for 199.99   now they are 199.99 for only 900 rds... a few guys at the gun show said that 399.99 for the same case might not be unusual before the end of the year.... They said the last SA 308 is coming in about july and after that.... nothing...
I suggest everyone check out the thread about the ammo situation at www.m14forum.com in the ammo bunker section... its pretty scary....
I am going to be picking up 5 cases of 1260 SA before this week is over...
Also I found a place with 1060 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 308 ammo for only 137.00 a case...I am gonna check those guys out next week.
I shot my friends M1A full size and that is what sold me on getting the SOCOM... recoil was not bad but muzzle rise was a little much... the socom break should handle that.... then we shot the ARs and after the M1A... it was like shooting a pellet gun... fast follow up shots... little recoil.

Anthony
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Never fired a Scout, but handling one was pleasant.  I like the feel, balance, and size of the SOCOM version better, so that's what I picked up, though.  I hear that if you're planning on doing any >300 yard shooting, the 18" barrel helps optimize performance of the .308, though.  I can't realistically see myself shooting at any range greater than three hundred yards with any frequency, so it was a non-issue for me.  It's something to consider, though.

That said, I love my SOCOM a lot.  Twice, even.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also I found a place with 1060 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 308 ammo for only 137.00 a case...I am gonna check those guys out next week.

Please let us know when you do. That sounds like an awesome deal and I'd be interested in a case or two if it works out. I reload match HPBT .308 for my Standard M1A, but I'd like to have a case or two of milsurp or whatever stockpiled away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
O.K... got the skinny on the S&B 308 Mil. Surplus.
It is corrosive and they mention that as soon as you ask for it.  that said... good cleaning should handle that issue.
the only problem I had was the 54.00 a case shipping.... considering that AIM only charges 27.00 case shipping on the same amount of ammo... I am a little pissed... They are in florida and that was the excuse she gave me... who knows... 70lb per case.... maybe 54.00 is right...
I may wait to see if it shows up at a gun show... If I can find it at a show for 140-150 a case I will score atleast 2-3 cases...  
With SA ammo supplies starting to dry up... this may be another round to look into for bulk shooting ammo.
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I ever get an M1A it would probably be the black fiberglass stocked Scout version,

What do you guys think about it?

I love the Scout - I think everyone should own one.

My first M14 type rifle was a brand new SAI Scout in black fiberglass.
Within a few months I had SAI bed it in walnut with a few NM mods.

Then I put it in a 1st generation SAGE EBR stock with more mods.
My Scout recently underwent the full MK14 conversion at SEI and is in a second SAGE EBR stock.

I like the 18" Scout/Bush so much I'm having SEI build me a second one

BTW, I like Port and USGI mags.

HTH and good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The first thing I did when I bought mine was replace the muzzle brake with a USGI flash hider and I removed the scope mount and put on another handguard...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
A LOT of M14 mags out there and a LOT of them are fake USGI. If I can't see it, hold it, and check out the welds on the spline, tab and follower, I consider them to be fakes. Sounds bad but it's the truth. Any packaged in white "bags" are probably fakes. Any with unevenly spaced welds up the spline are fakes, and any W marked needs to be cked out carefully. Thanks to a great sticky at THE m-14 site I saved a crapload of money staying away from fakes. Got some very nice real USGI ones instead.

That goofy muzzle device seems to have a pretty good rep for being a reasonably good working comp.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my M1A. Started off as a scout but I converted it to a bush soon after I got it. Also replaced the crappy black krinkle stock with a USGI synthetic, and replaced most of the SA Inc. parts with USGI parts, plus switched out the Taiwan muzzle brake for a Vortex flash hider. Now it's good to go.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love my M1A. Started off as a scout but I converted it to a bush soon after I got it. Also replaced the crappy black krinkle stock with a USGI synthetic, and replaced most of the SA Inc. parts with USGI parts, plus switched out the Taiwan muzzle brake for a Vortex flash hider. Now it's good to go.

home.comcast.net/~nusoox/P9040027.JPG

---

There is something about the "Bush" configuration with these simple mods that is just so right.  I love my M14SE, but a Bush configuration would be the ticket for me.   Maybe on my next rifle...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's mine:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/368120.jpg

I've posted it before under a different screen name, but it's the same me.

I love the Scout length barrel. I never owned one of the long ones; I've always been a fan of bolt-actions for long range shooting. The Scouth is very nimble and the punch it packs blows the doors off of 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If I only had the $$$$
Top Top