Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:11:50 PM EDT
If you turn off the gas system does it hurt anything? Is it hard on the bolt lugs? Anything else? I know it'll be a single shot but that is not my concern.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no need to turn off the gas - how heavy a bullet are you shooting and at what velocity? (load?)

There are a number of cures if you are going to go down that road:

1) Port the gas plug (usually a .036 - .040 will do it)
2) Have a slot cut in the top of the gas piston - .025 x .030-.050 deep
3) Tune the gas plug length to maximize dwell time in the gas system (also improves accuracy)

1SGA
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not actually planning on it but if I have to ever use whatever is available at the time I was just curious. I know on the Garand you have to be careful with especially some of the hunting loads of today. [yes I know you can buy a "fix" for it]

Just wondering if shutting off the port would cause problems in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top