Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 3:34:08 PM EDT
I am going to a gun show next weekend looking for a GI M1 Carbine. I was wanting to know what to look for and what to advoid In the way of importers, brands ,years and so on. And what is far prices at a gun show for a good Carbine.
Thanks For any help
E3
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat. The only one thing I have heard is "stay away from Blue Sky stamped M1's".
Otherwise look at general condition of the gun. Look on CMP website, they list receiver manufactures. This will give you an idea as to who amnufactured M1 carbines.

Plainfield and Universal are civilian made. Plainfield uses USGI parts. Universal uses a funny made receiver that uses mostly thier own parts(they don't make them any more).

As for price, 400 to 650 seems to be the going price in my area. I have seen a plainfield for 325 from one dealer that I have dealed with. Looks unfired to me, so I may try to get it at the next show.

Look on the auction sites to get a general idea on price. It's going to be a balance between maker-condition-price.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quick-and-dirty answer:  Go to the bookseller's table and get a copy of. "US M1 Carbines (Wartime Production)" by Craig Reisch, published by North Cape Publications.  Best small, one volume handbook for the prospective buyer.  The "Warbaby" two volume series is much deeper, and obviously more expensive.  Scott Duff's "M1 Carbine Owner's Guide", available from Fulton Armory is essential for the owner, less so for the buyer.
In the meantime, go to www.jouster.com and read up.

FWIW, the M1 Carbine, with a few exceptions for genuine collectors specimens, has long since passed the point where most specimens represent a fair value for the money spent. YMMV.

A big +1 on that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 5 of them 4 GI and a Universal.  The Blue Sky don't buy is somewhat of an urban legend.  Very few carbines were actually harmed by the stamping.  I have a Blue Sky Winnie that is a great and accurate carbine.  When you find one take a bore light and look at the bore, it will usually be fine.  My best carbine is a perfect National Postal Meter that I got from a dead Colonel's estate sale.  Go to CSP Gun talk and join the Carbine Collector's Association.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top