Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 8:11:18 PM EDT
I am interested in purchasing on older model M1A and was told to make sure it is not a "Split Receiver" by someone I feel knows what he is talking about (SWAT Sniper) but he couldn't explain to me what that meant or how to tell...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing i can think of that he meant is on some M-1A's , and M-14's - the area on the receiver that the op-rod spring guide fits into - ( small slot between barrel threads and op-rod sp. guide) - had a habit of cracking on some guns , as this area is purty thin - i have heard of this problem - but it is very rare -  the only way to tell is to visually inspect this area , and this may cause the barrels to loosen up during firing - again this is rare stuff - as the M-14 is tough as hell
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
- had a habit of cracking on some guns
- but it is very rare -
- again this is rare stuff -

So, how is it a habit if it's very rare? I've never heard M1A and "split receiver" together, maybe Mantavision should take advice from "Someone who has a clue what he's talking about" cuz the "SWAT sniper apparently don't know jack.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
- had a habit of cracking on some guns
- but it is very rare -
- again this is rare stuff -

So, how is it a habit if it's very rare? I've never heard M1A and "split receiver" together, maybe Mantavision should take advice from "Someone who has a clue what he's talking about" cuz the "SWAT sniper apparently don't know jack.

The habit refers to the specific receiver area i described , ( -i recall it had to do with certain receivers that  the 86 20 steel was too hard , or with certain cast receivers -( with tiny air bubles in casting) - in this area, that would cause a crack to form , i also recall S.A.inc making this area slightly thicker , to strengthen , than the G.I. spec- so you had to grind the top of the op-rod spring guide down to fit the receiver , again this is real inside baseball stuff , i dont know if this is what the sniper was reffering to , and is not common for a receiver to fail in this or any other area . the M-14 is my favorite rifle , IMO you cant go wrong with any of the ones currently for sale !!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Some investment cast M14 type receivers have been known to crack at the front end (barrel ring/op rod guide slot) during barrel installation if the casting had porosity in that area.  Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A receivers have been headspaced 0.001 " to 0.005 " over or under blueprint zero in the past to accommodate the chambers of chromium plated barrels in stock.  These receivers will have the numbers 1,2,3,4 or 5 on the bottom flat surface of the receiver to denote the extra length.  If the receiver is headspaced short, the number will be preceded by a "-".  Example, "-2" on the bottom of the receiver means it is headspaced 0.002 " short of the USGI blueprint zero.  Reference: 2004 interviews with Valley Ordnance Co. shop foreman Al Brezinski.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe talking about a reweld?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe talking about a reweld?

Thanks for the helpful replies,
I spoke to Mr. SWAT again and he said that some were "Cut" during the Import / Export process then put back together. So the Reweld might be on the right track.

It must not be that large of a problem if you guys don't know / worry about them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You won't see it on commercial M14 receivers.  The military did scrap reject USGI receivers by cutting them in half and for a while, there were some people that would weld together two halves.  There have been lotsa legal issues with rewelded M14's.

Ty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top