Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:11:18 PM EDT
I am interested in purchasing on older model M1A and was told to make sure it is not a "Split Receiver" by someone I feel knows what he is talking about (SWAT Sniper) but he couldn't explain to me what that meant or how to tell...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 8:19:38 PM EDT by buzgun]
The only thing i can think of that he meant is on some M-1A's , and M-14's - the area on the receiver that the op-rod spring guide fits into - ( small slot between barrel threads and op-rod sp. guide) - had a habit of cracking on some guns , as this area is purty thin - i have heard of this problem - but it is very rare - the only way to tell is to visually inspect this area , and this may cause the barrels to loosen up during firing - again this is rare stuff - as the M-14 is tough as hell
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:21:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buzgun:
- had a habit of cracking on some guns
- but it is very rare -
- again this is rare stuff -

So, how is it a habit if it's very rare? I've never heard M1A and "split receiver" together, maybe Mantavision should take advice from "Someone who has a clue what he's talking about" cuz the "SWAT sniper apparently don't know jack.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 10:04:15 PM EDT by buzgun]

Originally Posted By bishopm14:

Originally Posted By buzgun:
- had a habit of cracking on some guns
- but it is very rare -
- again this is rare stuff -

So, how is it a habit if it's very rare? I've never heard M1A and "split receiver" together, maybe Mantavision should take advice from "Someone who has a clue what he's talking about" cuz the "SWAT sniper apparently don't know jack.

The habit refers to the specific receiver area i described , ( -i recall it had to do with certain receivers that the 86 20 steel was too hard , or with certain cast receivers -( with tiny air bubles in casting) - in this area, that would cause a crack to form , i also recall S.A.inc making this area slightly thicker , to strengthen , than the G.I. spec- so you had to grind the top of the op-rod spring guide down to fit the receiver , again this is real inside baseball stuff , i dont know if this is what the sniper was reffering to , and is not common for a receiver to fail in this or any other area . the M-14 is my favorite rifle , IMO you cant go wrong with any of the ones currently for sale !!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:24 PM EDT
Some investment cast M14 type receivers have been known to crack at the front end (barrel ring/op rod guide slot) during barrel installation if the casting had porosity in that area. Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A receivers have been headspaced 0.001 " to 0.005 " over or under blueprint zero in the past to accommodate the chambers of chromium plated barrels in stock. These receivers will have the numbers 1,2,3,4 or 5 on the bottom flat surface of the receiver to denote the extra length. If the receiver is headspaced short, the number will be preceded by a "-". Example, "-2" on the bottom of the receiver means it is headspaced 0.002 " short of the USGI blueprint zero. Reference: 2004 interviews with Valley Ordnance Co. shop foreman Al Brezinski.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:29 AM EDT
Maybe talking about a reweld?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:53:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1811GNR:
Maybe talking about a reweld?

Thanks for the helpful replies,
I spoke to Mr. SWAT again and he said that some were "Cut" during the Import / Export process then put back together. So the Reweld might be on the right track.

It must not be that large of a problem if you guys don't know / worry about them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:25:50 AM EDT
You won't see it on commercial M14 receivers. The military did scrap reject USGI receivers by cutting them in half and for a while, there were some people that would weld together two halves. There have been lotsa legal issues with rewelded M14's.

Ty
Top Top