Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:10:51 PM EDT
Was at the gun shop and they have a M1 tanker in .308. Their asking $845.00 for it.
It looked to be in pretty good shape. metal/bore looked good, not to worn. and the wood looked good. Good finish, no scratches.
Just wondering if you guys thought this is a good buy?  I know you can't tell much without seeing it but it looked good, didn't look like it had been used that much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Who made it? Watch out for cut and weld receivers. Inspect the receiver closely for obvious signs of welding, grinding marks, mis matched tooling marks and drawing numbers that don't match the serial number range.

S.A. Inc had a run of M1 Tankers, AKA T-26's back in the 80's. Those are fine.

Frankly, you can buy a woodless M1 from the CMP, send it off to Tim Strait at Warbirds custom guns warbirdscustomguns.com and get the Tanker conversion for less than the asking price of your Tanker. At least then you will know what you have is good quality.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was at the gun shop and they have a M1 tanker in .308. Their asking $845.00 for it.
It looked to be in pretty good shape. metal/bore looked good, not to worn. and the wood looked good. Good finish, no scratches.
Just wondering if you guys thought this is a good buy?  I know you can't tell much without seeing it but it looked good, didn't look like it had been used that much.

Depending on who did the conversion, the reason it may look like it has not had much use is because it can't. Tankers are renownd for functioning problems, unless you have it built by someone who really knows what they are doing and builds it right. Personally, $845 sounds a bit high to me, and at the very least you need to make sure it will function reliably before plunking down *any* money. At least that is what I would do.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Run away for that price.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree.. run away from that price...... the seller got took and is trying to make up his loss.....I wouldn't pay more than $450 for a 'Tanker'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top