Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:48:23 AM EDT
Just got my first Garand.

There is a trick to pushing the clip in without getting my thumb bitten.  Anyone care to teach me?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The one I hear is always apply downward pressure when putting in the clip. When you stop pressing on the clip that's when the bolt goes forward and pushes your thumb out of the way.
I'm still wating for my M1 to test this theory.
It's also supposed to help that the bullets are loaded into the clip with the top bullet on the right if your a righty and left if your a lefty.
Like this:
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
While you're pushing the clip in with your thumb, keep the knife edge of your palm in front of the oprod handle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't get bit loading it, only when dicking around with an empty gun. There is not enough room to catch your thumb if there is a loaded clip in the rifle, and the bolt will just push your thumb out of the way if you get careless.

The one thing to watch out for, make sure the oprod is locked back properly.  It is possible to hang the bolt on the edge of the follower.  If you do this, it only takes a nudge on the follower to release the bolt.  So just be careful when cleaning and servicing the weapon.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While you're pushing the clip in with your thumb, keep the knife edge of your palm in front of the oprod handle.

This is the proper way to load it.  Learn this way and you will not have a problem
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You won't get bit loading it, only when dicking around with an empty gun. There is not enough room to catch your thumb if there is a loaded clip in the rifle, and the bolt will just push your thumb out of the way if you get careless.

The one thing to watch out for, make sure the oprod is locked back properly.  It is possible to hang the bolt on the edge of the follower.  If you do this, it only takes a nudge on the follower to release the bolt.  So just be careful when cleaning and servicing the weapon.

+1, with a loaded clip inserted, the return spring really does not have enough strength to strip off the top round and push the bolt forward with enough force to smash your thumb. Half the time I have to smack the op rod handle with my hand to get the bolt to close on a full clip.

Just use caution when working around an unloaded rifle with the bolt locked back.

Rodent gave the proper procedure for loading the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the proper way to load it.  Learn this way and you will not have a problem

No, it is not, and it is completely unnecessary.

As long as you maintain downward pressure the op rod will not go forward.

Get your thumb, wrist, and elbow in a straight line and press the clip home, pull hand straight out, or forward and up, smartly,  and you'll have no problems.  

Tim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The one thing to watch out for, make sure the oprod is locked back properly.  It is possible to hang the bolt on the edge of the follower. If you do this, it only takes a nudge on the follower to release the bolt.  So just be careful when cleaning and servicing the weapon.

+1 for ar-wrench's comments.

Right there is probably how about 90% of M1 thumbs happen.

(And NO, so far I haven't been bitten, but I've come close)

Tim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
What has always worked for me is, that when I load a clip, I keep constant pressure on the top cartridge. As long as there is pressure there, the bolt does'nt close on me. You have to get a mental image that once you decide to take your thumb off the top cartridge, ya better do it and don't hesitate. I've seen how hard those bolts can close. OUCH!!!

Ken
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Just stick with the M1A and you won't have this problem. Just a thought..............
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a thought..............

Don't quit your day job.

Tim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is not, and it is completely unnecessary.

Tim

You sure? I could swear I've seen old army pics showing this...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You sure? I could swear I've seen old army pics showing this...

You probably have, but I'll wager that they were basically just getting the clip in the mag well and preparing to move their whole hand to were they could actually push it in.

Try it sometime.  Keep your hand low enough that the edge of your palm is low enough to stop the op rod and just see if you have the strength in your thumb to press the clip fully home.  I'll be surprised if you succeed.

12. Loading the Rifle

(a)...

(b.) Full clip. To load a full clip, hold the rifle at the balance with the left hand and pull the operating rod handle all the way to the rear. Place the butt of the rifle against the thigh or on the ground. With the right hand, place a full clip on top of the follower assembly. Place the thumb on the center of the top round in the clip and press the clip straight down into the receiver until it catches. Swing the right hand up and to the right to clear the bolt in its forward movement. Note that the operating rod is not held to the rear during loading since there is no danger of it going forward as long as pressure is maintained on the top round in the clip.

The above is from the army FM on the M1.

Don't see anywhere on there about the need to place your hand in a position to stop the op rod.  Matter of fact it says what I told you: It won't go forward until you let up on the pressure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Agreed with the posters above, you won't get garand thumb actually loading your gun. You will get garand thumb when the box from the cmp shows up and you are so excited by your new garand that you run around pretending to shoot Germans and shove your finger down on the follower while pretending to reload.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... you are so excited by your new garand that you run around pretending to shoot Germans and shove your finger down on the follower while pretending to reload.

That STILL won't do it, unless the bolt is resting against the follower rather that properly locked open.

You'd have to push it all the way to the bottom, and then you'd end up with M1 HAND, rather than M1 thumb!!

Tim

PS: MRW, no you're not
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Pull the op rod back with the right hand.  While pushing down on the follower with the left thumb ease the op rod forward until it just clears the edge of the follower.  Remove the left thumb from the follower and let the op rod go with the right hand.  Now imagine your thumb between the chamber and the bolt.  That's what keeps me from getting M1 thumb.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't see anywhere on there about the need to place your hand in a position to stop the op rod.  Matter of fact it says what I told you: It won't go forward until you let up on the pressure.

I never said it was. All I said is I've seen a pic with them doing it the fore mentioned way. Quite being so damn defensive man. Relax.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I never said it was. All I said is I've seen a pic with them doing it the fore mentioned way.

Then, when I stated that it was unnecessary, why did you ask "Are you sure?"?

Later,
Tim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#20]
My point was, just because it aint in the manual does not mean it isn't taught that way in the field.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My point was, just because it aint in the manual does not mean it isn't taught that way in the field.

Yet you still haven't been able to show my statement was incorrect.  

Just for the record, I really don't give a rats @$$ if you had every DI who ever taught the M1 to tell me it is:  It is unnecessary, for the reasons already given.

Out,
Tim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]
jeez louise, if the question causes this much angst, forget I asked....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
As careful as I was, I still got bit.  I use one hand to hold the bolt back, and the second hand to push in the clip.  Wow, I properly used "clip" on arfcom.  Call me paranoid, but that is the only way I will ever do it.  The blue thumb hurt for a couple weeks, worse than a hammer strike.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Old Fart here.

I was issued a Garand in basic training.  The "M1 Thumb" is "earned" while doing the manual of arms.  It is done with an EMPTY RIFLE!.

You will not get it in normal loading unless uou get really careless.

BTW, I am more than happy to help new Ga owners at the shoot next weekend, I even have a new to me M1 I need to sight in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Old Fart here.

I was issued a Garand in basic training.  The "M1 Thumb" is "earned" while doing the manual of arms.  It is done with an EMPTY RIFLE!.

You will not get it in normal loading unless uou get really careless.

BTW, I am more than happy to help new Ga owners at the shoot next weekend, I even have a new to me M1 I need to sight in.

Why do I have a hunch this happened a lot during "Inspection Arms"?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Call me paranoid, but that is the only way I will ever do it.  

You got bit because of your method.

Read the last sentence in the quote from the field manual above.

Tim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
jeez louise, if the question causes this much angst, forget I asked....

Spartacus:  It was an honest question.  The only DUMB question is one not asked.

Some people just can't accept answers that don't jive with their personal opinions/ideas/whatever.

Enjoy your new "toy".  They are a whole lotta fun.

Tim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Why do I have a hunch this happened a lot during "Inspection Arms"?

Damn, my bad.  You are right, it was "Inspection arms".  It is all kinda a blur now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top