Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:16:19 AM EDT
I have a standard SA M1A that I've owned for almost 20 years. It's always been a reliable, good shooter. With my 50+ year old eyes, I've been thinking about scoping it.
I have a Springfield Armory mount and have been reading about scopes. It seems that the M1A is prone to destroy some optics. I see in pictures that many of our M14's in Iraq and Afganistan are scoped. Will the Super Sniper scopes as sold by SWFA hold up well to the M1A? Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#1]
For a quality scope (I use a Leupold), I don't believe you'll have a problem.  The difficulty with the M1A and scopes is simply getting a good 3-point mount.  It's been ~ 15 yrs. since I had my Mil-Spec mount put on, and would imagine there have been advances since then.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You get what you pay for in optics. I recommend Leupold.

Whatever you do, avoid Simmons. Absolute garbage from personal experience.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What mount system has everyone had sucsess with?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a standard SA M1A that I've owned for almost 20 years. It's always been a reliable, good shooter. With my 50+ year old eyes, I've been thinking about scoping it.
I have a Springfield Armory mount and have been reading about scopes. It seems that the M1A is prone to destroy some optics. I see in pictures that many of our M14's in Iraq and Afganistan are scoped. Will the Super Sniper scopes as sold by SWFA hold up well to the M1A? Any other suggestions?

To ansnwer your original question, yes the super sniper will work fine with an M1A.  The military uses it.

Smith Enterprises scope mounts are also awesome and used by the military, but they are pricey, I am trying to save for that exact same package.

Super Sniper 10x42 rear adjustment for $300
Smith Enterprises scope mount for  $275

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The Springfield mounts just won't do the job.You have to have a 3 point mount.Here's your options...

Brookfield Precision-The original military 3 point mount by which all others are judged."If" you can find one it's going to be $400 or so.

SmithAn extremely good 3 point mount.Mine has served me very well.A clone of the Brookfield.

ARMSAnother fine 3 point mount that will serve you very well.

There's a couple of other small companys that make 3 point mounts like Sadler but the above are what the vast majority use.Anything other than a 3 point mount just won't hold zero.You'll just be wasting your money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean by a 3 point mount? The Springfield mount looks somewhat similar to the Smith mount. It attaches to the receiver in the threaded hole and has another attachment point at the stripper guide location.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
On a 3 point mount it will attach to (1)the threaded hole in the receiver,at (2)the stripper clip guide and (3)at the top of the mount you will have a allen screw that threads through the top of the mount down to the top of the receiver.You would tighten this screw down against the top of the receiver and this set screw will then be locked in place from the side by another allen screw.This second,side allen screw can be seen in the pic of the smith mount above.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To ansnwer your original question, yes the super sniper will work fine with an M1A.  The military uses it.

Smith Enterprises scope mounts are also awesome and used by the military, but they are pricey, I am trying to save for that exact same package.

Super Sniper 10x42 rear adjustment for $300
Smith Enterprises scope mount for  $275

www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/M14_NSN_Mount_Retail.lg.jpg

--

You also ought to look at Smith's Sale/Discontinued page.  They've got a few of the Weaver-configured scope mounts on sale.  They even have their Long MIL STD 1913 NSN mount on sale, except the NSN itself isn't on the mount.  The XM21 Picatinny versions that were also on sale sold out before Christmas.  Worth a look: www.smithenterprise.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with an ARMS #18 and a Super Sniper 20x, no problems at all.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
On a 3 point mount it will attach to (1)the threaded hole in the receiver,at (2)the stripper clip guide and (3)at the top of the mount you will have a allen screw that threads through the top of the mount down to the top of the receiver.You would tighten this screw down against the top of the receiver and this set screw will then be locked in place from the side by another allen screw.This second,side allen screw can be seen in the pic of the smith mount above.

I looked at my Springfield mount and at the pictures of the Smith mount. If the set screw bearing on the top of the receiver makes the difference, I don't see why I can't install a couple set screws into the Springfield mount. There's plenty of metal to work with.
It's not really that I'm a cheap bastard, it's just that I don't like paying for something I can do myself.
I think I'll look into getting the Super Sniper and take it from there. If I wind up with a zero problem, I'll look into reworking my mount. Should keep me busy for a while.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Trauma,
That's quite a rig. What brand mount is that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
SA M1A w/ Winchester barrel, TRP Bolt and a few other items
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not familiar with TRP. Most of my early SA is TRW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top