Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:59:48 PM EDT
I got a great deal on a bunch of mixed head stamps 308/7.62mm .

There are 20 or so that look to be AP ammo it has a very gold colored case and head stamp "FN 69 *  " (The astrik represents a NATO CROSS CIRCLE) . The dates vary from 57 to71 .

I pulled one and the bullet looks to be AP , it is @152 gr , long for that wieght and is magnetic . The part of the bullet that was in the case has a very copper look to it , the gold seems to be a wash .

The bullets do not have a proper crimp rather two lines of "slanted" crimping indentations .
It was loaded w/ a ball powder .

I'm wondering if maybe I should just break them down and reload to suit
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't the AP rounds have a black painted tip?
~m38a1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
30/06 can be sold in AP, 308 cannot. My AP 30/06 looks exactly like my reg LC stuff except for the black tip. BTW my port .308 is magnetic and is not AP, just copper plated steel. I asked this myself a week ago as I did not know about the 308.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
~m38a1

Oh yea forgot to even mention that Black very black .

Why is .308 AP a problem to own ? I dont doubt it but it seems odd .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
~m38a1

Oh yea forgot to even mention that Black very black .

Why is .308 AP a problem to own ? I dont doubt it but it seems odd .

I'm not 100% on this, but I think that pretty much all AP ammo is illegal except for .30-06 AP.

I think it has to do with AP Pistol ammo is illegal, and since I'm pretty sure there are .308 pistols out there (I don't think they count Thompson Contenders, but I may be wrong) .308 AP is verboten. .30-06 AP is exempted from the 'verboten' list by name.

I remember reading something on the net about 7.62x39 steel core ammo becoming illegal to purchase as soon as the BATFE caught wind of somebody building a 7.62 AK pistol.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]
OH yea I forgot that pistol thing . Well , after finding out about them being agianst the law I threw them all away . The End

Thanks for the info !!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top