Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:44:36 AM EDT
I'm psyched.  Bought it from Rodent off the EE, I've never been so anxious about a new toy coming in.

Have a 30 cal can of korean surplus on clips on the way as well, anyone know if this is corrosive?  I've never shot nor handled a garand anything I need to know before hand?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
All the clipped up Korean 30-06 ammo I've seen IS corrosive.

You need to clean the bolt face and barrel with ammonia to neutralize the corrosion after you are done shooting. Most folks use Windex for this. Then hit it with bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the headstamp. KA-marked ammo is corrosive. PS is not.

I sent my paperwork to the CMP and they're processig it. I hope to see my M1 Garand in closer to 45 days than 60 according to their website. I know the feeling, literally.

ETA: You'll only get Garand thumb once because that's all you need to learn to move your thumb out of the way in a hurry! You can attempt to use the blade of your right hand to hold the charging handle back while your thumb pushes the clip in. Once the clip is engaged fully, just pull your hand away and all your fleshy bits should be clear of the action as it closes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]

You'll only get Garand thumb once because that's all you need to learn to move your thumb out of the way in a hurry!

He's not kidding, Mausermark...

If you want ten fingerNAILS to go along with your ten fingers, you'll not make this mistake..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The ONLY way you get M1 Thumb is messing around with the rifle and closing the action while NOT paying attention.. You will NEVER get M1 Thumb loading a Garand.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
haha.

People have done similar things with the SKS.  I've personally smashed my thumb once on in SKS bolt closing.  I'll look out for that.

From what I've seen though, you push in the clip and just push the handle forward..?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
haha.

People have done similar things with the SKS.  I've personally smashed my thumb once on in SKS bolt closing.  I'll look out for that.

From what I've seen though, you push in the clip and just push the handle forward..?

To be extra safe make SURE you place the edge of your hand in front of the op rod handle while inserting the enbloc, preventing it from closing until your fingers are out of the way, as shown in the following picture taken from www.surplusrifle.com:

Edit:  You may have to use your left hand to load while your right steadies the rifle and blocks the op rod handle, which is actually how I do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as you continue applying downward pressure, the bolt will remain to the rear.

So go ahead and push it down really hard to make sure it goes all the way, but don't panic. You can sit there and hold it for a while if you like; it doesn't matter as long as you keep downward pressure.

However, move your hand QUICK once you release pressure. Depending on your rifle, the bolt may either snap forward quickly or stop shortly after starting to strip the round off. If it is one that stops, give it a quick slap forward and you're good to go. If it goes forward on it's own, you're ready to shoot.

Key is to KEEP APPLYING DOWNWARD PRESSURE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Sniper_Wolfe speaks the whole thruth and nothing but the truth. I've owned several Garands and most of mine required a tap with the heel of my hand to make the bolt go home anyway. Been shooting them for over 10 years now and by far the closest I've come to M1 Thumb was while cleaning one when I first started.

Welcome to the club!

Beware the Korean Stuff. In addition to possibly being corrosive some of it is pretty damn hot. The CMP Greek ammo on clips is some good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the suggestions, although I don't quite understand the loading advice just yet.

I'll just use this one 30 cal can of korean and stick to american eagle 30-06 or something of that sort.

btw, what about Olympic 30-06?

-mark
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The photo illustration is the correct way to load, if you keep your little finger in contact witht he op rod handle it will not bite you.  You should also always do this when closing the bolt on an empty mag well.  The rifle will bite you if you are careless.

You will learn to love the gun.  The garand is such a cool system.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe the Olympic stuff is crap.  I'd second the CMP stuff (either Greek or LC).  I have some of the PS headstamped Korean stuff and it's just fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't shoot Olympic whatever you do.  It is not safe for the M1 and it has a HUGE muzzle flash.  Get M2 ball from the CMP, either the Greek or LC.  Either one is good to go.  Either that or get PS headstamp Korean, just make sure it's not PS 75 with lot number 2-152.  There has been several instances of case head failure with this lot number.  I've have seen PS ammo on clips, however.  It's out there.  You'll probably get the KA headstamp ammo, though.  It shoots fine, just make sure you clean immediately.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You want M2 ball spec ammo. Anything faster or heavier than that will produce excessive pressure at the gas port and slowly warp your op rod.

M2, IIRC, is around 150gr at 2700fps.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
There is no real  pain when the bolt slams on your thumb.  It just goes numb.  It's only a few minutes after you extricate the damaged digit from the receiver that you can truely appreciate what  M1 thumb is really like.    You not only have to be careful while loading the clip, but also while cleaning the rifle.  That's when I had the pleasure of fully joining the club.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Have a 30 cal can of korean surplus on clips on the way as well, anyone know if this is corrosive?

Yes, that is the KA headstamp Korean.  I would personally NOT shoot this in your garand.  I'd shoot it in an 03a3 or anny bolt action 30-06 and just make sure to clean with windex AT THE RANGE.  Save the clips for your Garand.

The Korean you want is PS headstamp, comes 20/box, 400 to an ammo can.  It's noncorrosive.

Or, Danish ammo (more expensive) is good.

I've never bought any Lake City, but everyone says it's great ammo.  A little pricey for me.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There is no real  pain when the bolt slams on your thumb.  It just goes numb.  It's only a few minutes after you extricate the damaged digit from the receiver that you can truely appreciate what  M1 thumb is really like.    You not only have to be careful while loading the clip, but also while cleaning the rifle.  That's when I had the pleasure of fully joining the club.

Just lock the bolt back and/or load AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS and you'll never have to worry about Garand thumb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top