Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/18/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2003 8:26:52 PM EDT by spc-ops]
I'm looking into qualifying for and buying a CMP Garand in the next few months, and have been looking at their website (www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm). I plan on buying a service grade as I want a good rifle that wont need a new barrel anytime soon, but would like to know why the different manufacturers Garand's cost different amounts? Are some of them rarer, higher quality, or what? What makes the Winchester cost $75 more than the Springfield? Thanks in advance for answers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:27:48 PM EDT
The DCM/CMP charge you more for the rifles other than Springfield Armory because they are unique. There are some serious collectors who would like an all-Winchester rifle etc. To some its worth it, but if you want a shooter, I would just go with the cheapest one. Some of the more expensive rifles will have better barrels(ie less throat erosion), or better finish.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:33:32 PM EDT
Pricing is base primarily on the ratio of production. Example, SA mad ethe mst rifle therefore they are the cheapest and on down the line with Winchester being the fewest and wartime at that. The IHC seem to be very desirable right now though.

Looking for a shooter? Go here to read what I have to say:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=172087
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:38:31 PM EDT
Also the post war SA rifles are considered among experts, and I agree, the finest fit and finish of all the M1's produced follwed very cloisely and usually rivaling by HRA since they were an established firearm manufacturer to begin with. Winchesters are considered rough in finish and they run the gammut from very nice to ones with very obvious machining marks. All are true milspec and all USGI M1 parts are interchangeable with all USGI manufacturere except properly headspaced bolts. These need to be guaged to the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:36:36 AM EDT
The prices reflect market values of these rifles which is influenced by collectors to a great extent. Also influenced by overall shooting condition.

US military rifles almost all went thru arsenal Clean and Repair programs after WW2 and Korea and were in USAR and ARNG arms rooms until the early 1970s when the M16A1 was issued. Many of the M1s had indifferent handling in the field during wartime and reserve training, some are really ugly. Some are literally right out of the arsenals.

They're all in issue condition, which means they'll shoot to qualification standard. Which isn't X-ring.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2003 7:50:17 AM EDT by spc-ops]
As I'm not interested in owning a particular make of Garand and just want a decent shooter with some history behind it, any of the makes should serve my purpose, correct? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:42:56 PM EDT
If you want a good shooter, go with a service grade in HRA or Springfield. If you go with the Springfield attach a note politly asking for a high serial numbered rifle as you want to use the rifle in John C. Garand matches. The CMP official statment is that they do not honor these requests but I did it and like I said I got a rifle that was right from rebuild, new barrel, park, internal parts everything perfect and tight. The HRA are all post war and mine came with a beat stock but a new LMR barrel and good matel and parts. IHC rifles are the buzz right now and Winchesters will always be.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:08:27 PM EDT
check out jouster.com It is a fairly high volume site in which you will learn everything you want to know about the m1 garand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:54:05 PM EDT
Winchester only produced the M1 during WWII. They also only had a fraction of production of what SA produced. The HRAs are some of the nicest machined and finished M1s if you get a nice one. The IHCs are hard to get from CMP, they just released a few hundred more but there will be a backlog of orders on those.

A late production SA or HRA would make for a very nice shooter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:04:13 PM EDT
I bought a Springfield from CMP. I had it checked before firing it and found the chamber was too worn to safely shoot it. I had it re-barreled (~$200) and now it shoots great. It also has a rough stock with a "3" painted on the right side near the butt. My father-in-law bought one at the same time and was sent an H & R. He has not had it checked and has yet to fire it. His rifle looks a lot better than mine. I did not know that you could informally request later serial numbers, etc. The CMP folks will tell you that all they guarantee is that you get a rifle for $500. They do not guarantee condition or shootability. I'm not complaining. I got a reliable rifle with a new barrel for about $700.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:11:58 AM EDT
Sig45, if you bought a service grade rifle and it needed a barrel swap just to shoot, I'd contact the CMP and tell them,they will make it right. Service grade rifles are supposed to be in good enough shape to shoot with out barrel swaps, if, on the other hand, you bought a rack grade, well, you got what you paid for,most people buy rack grades to rebarrel to .308. The CMP will back their rifles if you paid for a service grade and get a rifle with a bad bore/chamber let them know they will make it right....if fact I'd still call them up and let them know what you had to do with your rifle (Assuming it's a service grade)they just might send you a new barrel just for your trouble....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:27:40 AM EDT
All CMP rifles are headspace checked and test fired before beint released to the public. This is a marksmanship program, not a collector's program.

The rifles may be worn further than National Match standards, but they don't need to be rebarrelled nor are they too worn to shoot safely. If your gunsmith tells you differently just contact CMP and they'll handle everything.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:49:48 PM EDT
I have a few M1s. The one I got this week from the CMP is a Dane I wanted to rebarrel to .308. It's a service grade. My gunsmith went to rebarrel it and the receiver gauged out of spec. He called the CMP and they are swapping that receiver for another. I don't have to swap the complete rifle for a different one (that's good because the rest of the rifle is nice). CMP will take care of you if you have a problem. You just gotta tell them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:19:54 PM EDT
What all is required to rebarrel a Garand to .308? I know a new barrel is needed, anything else? Will .308 rounds work in the clip and feeding system stock? I like this idea, as .308 ammo is cheaper. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:30:21 AM EDT
All that is needed to convert a Garand to 308 is just the barrel.. nothing else needs to be done... except to buy a whole heck of a lot of 7.62x51 ammo... 'cause you'll want to shoot the heck out of it!! :-)
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:44:00 PM EDT
The barrel is the only required part. Unless you're planning on National Match shooting, an oximoron with the M1 and M14, get a 7.62mm NATO chamber, rather than a ".308" which may run tight.

Smith Enterprise sells a magazine block (fits inside the bullet guide) which will prevent you from inserting a clip of M2 Ball in there by accident, and assist the bullet into the chamber.

-- Chuck
Top Top