Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Love this post....I have read it about ten times so far.
You did a great job on the rifle and on the text as well.I have 2 M14 rifle projects currently in the works(both Chi-com receivers). I am sending one rifle to Warbird to be built.Its a Norinco rec with a S.A. inc Bush barrel and the remaining parts are all USGI. The second project is a Polytech barrelled action wich I got from R.M. Lamey. It will have all remaing USGI parts as well. I plan on doing the second project myself. I plan on getting some headspace guages and lapping in the bolt.Not nearly as complex as your project but you got to start somewhere.I dont buy all the negatives about Chi-com receivers being soft. I know the bolts are crap(most of the time) .I have one complete Polytech wich I purchased as a complete rifle all Chineses except flashhider and stock. It has the original bolt shoots great no problems at all. I want to check headspace and plan on shooting it with this bolt until I need to replace it(hopefuly it doesnt happen).
Thaks for the great post and when I get my new projects back I will post pics and a range report.
Ray
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Love this post....I have read it about ten times so far.
You did a great job on the rifle and on the text as well.I have 2 M14 rifle projects currently in the works(both Chi-com receivers). I am sending one rifle to Warbird to be built.Its a Norinco rec with a S.A. inc Bush barrel and the remaining parts are all USGI. The second project is a Polytech barrelled action wich I got from R.M. Lamey. It will have all remaing USGI parts as well. I plan on doing the second project myself. I plan on getting some headspace guages and lapping in the bolt.Not nearly as complex as your project but you got to start somewhere.I dont buy all the negatives about Chi-com receivers being soft. I know the bolts are crap(most of the time) .I have one complete Polytech wich I purchased as a complete rifle all Chineses except flashhider and stock. It has the original bolt shoots great no problems at all. I want to check headspace and plan on shooting it with this bolt until I need to replace it(hopefuly it doesnt happen).
Thaks for the great post and when I get my new projects back I will post pics and a range report.
Ray

Thanks, yeah those Chi-Com bolts are kinda cheesy, but lots of guys run them with no problems.  I just wanted a USGI M14, and that is as close as I could get at the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ekie,

Enjoyed your thread & photos. One thing I can't tell from the pics: does it have just the serial number on the side, or does it have the complete "made in China" etc as well. I've seen a few with just the serial number and am looking for one for my future build, as I like the way it looks better. Not that it matters a huge amount, though.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if it would be legal and possible to have repro original manufacturer markings on the receiver heel? With the same serial number, of course.

Richard
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ekie,

Enjoyed your thread & photos. One thing I can't tell from the pics: does it have just the serial number on the side, or does it have the complete "made in China" etc as well. I've seen a few with just the serial number and am looking for one for my future build, as I like the way it looks better. Not that it matters a huge amount, though.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if it would be legal and possible to have repro original manufacturer markings on the receiver heel? With the same serial number, of course.

Richard

Serial number is below the wood line on the side.

Ron Smith use to engrave on the heals of Chi-Com receivers.  I called him when it was time to have my kit built, he told me that he no longer offers the service, something about lawyers.  Sure, it is legal to have the receiver engraved.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Im going through the same thing right now. I found that the USGI barrel will not go on without considerable effort, I suspect the threads are slightly different. What this so in your case?

Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im going through the same thing right now. I found that the USGI barrel will not go on without considerable effort, I suspect the threads are slightly different. What this so in your case?

The TRW barrel screwed right on by hand, up to where it stopped on the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn i guess mine is just all sorts of fubar.

I also had to relieve the receiver for the bolt to drop in even without a barrel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Damn i guess mine is just all sorts of fubar.

I also had to relieve the receiver for the bolt to drop in even without a barrel.

That is normal for the bolt not to lock in the receiver.  Don't know what to make of the barrel situation though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just rebarrelled my Chi-Com reciever with a Smith CrazyHorse barrel and it screwed in hand tight with no problems.All the Chinese recievers being rebarrelled up here in Canada have had no problems taking a USGI barrel.

One thing to check, the Chinese recievers have a small set screw on the right side of the reciever barrel ring that holds the barrel in place.Could it be that the set screw is interferring with the barrel threads????Wha it back all the way out????

I simply removed that set screw and deep sixed it as it is not required.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just wanted to give a big thanks to you Ekie.

I finally finished most of the project, the bolt is in and new barrel is on. I dont know what was going on before but the new barrel I ordered screwed right in.

The sanding disk method for fitting the barrel works wonderfully for those without a lathe.

Now I just need to test fire it and refinish.

the bolt will not fully close on 1.634 so I guess its around 1.632-1.633
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear you got the barrel thread thing figured out, and that it is together.  Would recomend that you get a 1.632 gauge so you can be sure headspace is good for at least .308.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet work Ekie!

You've inspired me!

Well not to build to one, to buy one!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sweet work Ekie!

You've inspired me!

Good, because you do NEED one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweet work Ekie!

You've inspired me!

That's what I told the wife....
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweet work Ekie!

You've inspired me!

That's what I told the wife....

Well, you may just NEED two, but what do I know....
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
All done and some pics I took along the way

http://home.comcast.net/~spddemon/m14s/index.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
All done and some pics I took along the way

http://home.comcast.net/~spddemon/m14s/index.html

Looks like a couple of different rifles?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#19]
its all the same rifle.
The one where it is in a tan stock is before, the fuzzy pic of the heel is supposed to show the light grey finish and ugly hand stamped heel before I refinished it and a few are of the parts right out of the park bath.

The rest in the wood stock is the rifle completed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
its all the same rifle.
The one where it is in a tan stock is before, the fuzzy pic of the heel is supposed to show the light grey finish and ugly hand stamped heel before I refinished it and a few are of the parts right out of the park bath.

The rest in the wood stock is the rifle completed.

Ah, I see, looks very nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Great post and work as usual Ekie!

I want a Scout M1A and about have the courage now to attempt it myself after reading your post.

Thanks for great pics and explainations.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Great post and work as usual Ekie!

I want a Scout M1A and about have the courage now to attempt it myself after reading your post.

Thanks for great pics and explainations.

Danny

Cool beans, and good luck with the project.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ekie,

Richard

Serial number is below the wood line on the side.

Ron Smith use to engrave on the heals of Chi-Com receivers.  I called him when it was time to have my kit built, he told me that he no longer offers the service, something about lawyers.  Sure, it is legal to have the receiver engraved.

I have one of the Smith Ent. marked Poly's. It's all USGI H&R bolt, op rod and trigger group and a SAK NM barrel. It's too bad he doesn't still mark them.

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes it is to bad, but I have gotten use to mine being blank.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top