Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 8:56:07 PM EDT
Since LMR barrels were used by all post war contractors (so I've read), I am trying to see if the LMR on my HRA is an original or replacement. If you've got nothing better to do, please review the following photos and help me ID a few things.

First, the complete view- Where's the proof mark punch?

What's to the left of the LMR stamping? A "J"? Does it mean anything?

The heat lot "A40"? What's the dimple? Is that an "M" to the right of it? Does it stand for anything?

Is that an acceptance punch mark just to the left of tapering? I know it's not a good close-up shot but it looks to be a DOD 3-star eagle mark.

Where's the HRA receiver heat lot number? Is it the "T"?

Thanks for taking the time and I look forward to your replies.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
First off.. we would need the serial number of the receiver to tell if the barrel is original to the receiver....first pic.. right above the defense stamp.. it looks lke a verry poorly struck P for the proof.. in the 2ns pic.. the J is probably the shift code.....the 3rd pic.. the punch is the punch for the harness test.. some have saud that that was a proof punch.. the M means the barrel was particle magnifluxed... as for the receiver.. the 6528291 is the drawing number for the receiver... and the T might be the steel lot code or once again the shift code....is that the only markings on the receiver on that side????
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
HPS: Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The receiver was made in early part of 1956 with a serial number of 564XXXX. There are no other stampings on either side of the receiver other than the drawing number and the T stamping. According to the article I read, the proof punch mark should be right in the center of the "P" for it to be an original LMR on a HRA. FWIW, This was the article I read.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
OK.. it would help if I look in my books.. the T on the receiver is indeed the heat lot, and the barrel is indeed original to the receiver.. as there was a big mixup to receiver dats and barrel date in the porduction period.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, HPS. Now, I just have to find an all HRA trigger group to replace the SA WW2 group to restore it back to an all HRA rifle. I believe even the stock is an original used by HRA based on the cartouche stampings. At least it got all the right stampings for the time period.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I took a look at my HRA and IHC and late  5.3mil SA Garands.. I probably should have looked at them before I even started my first reply... the 5.3mil SA and my IHC both have the P with the proof punch on the barrel where it can be viewed when pulling back the op rod such as you show on your rifle.. but.. my HRA #4,701,4xx has the P and the proof punch further forward up the barrel... only seen with the removal of the rear handguard.... interesting....... maybe yours is hidden too???
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have the tool to take the rear handguard off. Though, the more I think about it the more I think it's probably a replacement. With a TE of 1 and a MW of slightly over zero, I very much doubt a barrel installed in 1956 would have endured so well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't be so quick to judge the condition of the barrel.. a lot of the later production Garands didn't get shot much.. I have seen quite a few HRA's and IHC's as well as SA's come through the CMP pipeline with verry low mileage....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top