Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2003 9:15:21 AM EDT
looking for one for my M14 so any opinions appreciated.  I figured the US military one should be well tested, any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The Military has used two that I know of for sure.

The Brookfield Precision mount is probably the best M-14 mount around.Sadly, it is no longer made, but Smith Enterprises makes a copy of it.

The other mount is the A.R.M.S. #18 mount.There are two styles.The older style has a two section rail, and the newer one has a full length rail.

If you are short on funds, you can fing a Springfield Armory 3rd Generation mount pretty cheap.They are ok mounts, but theabove two are the best ones out ther right now.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with skullboy.ARMS #18 is an excellent mount.I have an older style (split rail) on my supermatch and never had any problems.

I also have a newer style (full length) on my std. but haven't been to the range to try it.As soon as I see how well it works I'll post something here.

I've also heard about mounting problems with aluminum mounts.Spfld mounts are $145.00 retail and I sell ARMS #18 for my cost to board members which is about $140.00-$142.00

Not a hard choice to make.A matter fact I'll be ordering from ARMS again tommorrow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Both the BP and the ARMS have federal stock numbers.  The BP mounts are very hard to find and are very expensive, around $250 - $300.  The ARMS will run about 1/2 that.  The Smith Enterprises is a clone of the BP and is regarded highly by many here.  I use the ARMS and have been completely happy with the mount.  One thing of note, you will not be able to use the irons with the scope in place on the ARMS.  I use the #22 throw rings and can remove the scope in about five seconds and reinstall it in the same amount of time with a repeat of my 300 yard zero.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Smith and am very happy with it.You can use irons with it if the scopes objective is 50mm or less with standard height rings.If the Brookfield is the best and the Smith is a clone of the Brookfield well then commen sense tells you ........
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I called ARMS today at 4:00 and told them my order will be in the mail tommorrow.They're holding 10 #18's for me.

The price will be about $135.00ea.plus S&H not $142.00 I said earlier. As they gave me a better price on quantity.This price is for board members only.

I have 3 people who want them and I will notify everyone when they arrive in about 3 weeks.These are the new style full rail #18 mounts.They don't make the old style anymore.

I DO NOT WANT ANY MONEY NOW.I WILL WAIT TILL THEY'RE IN MY HANDS BEFORE I ACCEPT ANY MONEY WITH ORDERS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I called ARMS today at 4:00 and told them my order will be in the mail tommorrow.They're holding 10 #18's for me.

The price will be about $135.00ea.plus S&H not $142.00 I said earlier. As they gave me a better price on quantity.This price is for board members only.

I have 3 people who want them and I will notify everyone when they arrive in about 3 weeks.These are the new style full rail #18 mounts.They don't make the old style anymore.

I DO NOT WANT ANY MONEY NOW.I WILL WAIT TILL THEY'RE IN MY HANDS BEFORE I ACCEPT ANY MONEY WITH ORDERS.

That is a good price.  I own an arms 18 mount and am pleased with its quality and its ability to stay on target.  I have removed it and gone back to iron sites after having the scope on the rifle a while.  
one thing a member here had was a problem with this mount and brass deflecting into it each time he fired the gun.  IT was a problem of the extractor which had gone un noticed while using the iron sites.  There is a very slim chance (probably a lot less than 1%) that you will have to modify something to make this work
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for saving me a bunch of grief trying to sort this out myself.  Does anyone have any pics they could post of the ARMS mount in use?  I currently use a 3-10x44 scope on my SLR and would probably mount the same type on the M14.  The SLR has Leupold Medium QRW rings and scope interchangability between the two (infrequently used) rifles would be nice.  Will medium rings fit a 44obj scope on the ARMS mount?  I'd like the scope as low as possible as well.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a SA 3rd Gen mount. I have a SA 6-20x56 scope. With the SA mount, i cna use standard rings with the 52m obj, and i still ahve use of the iron sights. As long as you keep the knobs tight, you won't have a problem. If you plan on taking the scope off after shooting, i'd go with a SA 3rd Gen. If you plan on keeping the scope on 24-7, go with the ARMS.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
A.R.M.S. #18, 19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings, Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
GI_Brat those are nice photos.I'll be upgrading my membership and need to know, HOW YA DO THAT??

The ARMS #18 mounts I have coming are black also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GI_Brat those are nice photos.I'll be upgrading my membership and need to know, HOW YA DO THAT??

How To Upgrade Your Membership
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The Brookfield Precision mount is probably the best M-14 mount around.Sadly, it is no longer made,
If you are short on funds, you can fing a Springfield Armory 3rd Generation mount pretty cheap.They are ok mounts, but theabove two are the best ones out ther right now.

SKBY.

Just want to make a correction here. Uncle Sugar just too delivery of 3000 more BPT mounts. It is no longer made is quite a large error. They are currently unavailable to the public is more accurate, there is a difference.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
the bottom of the rings bolt to the picatinney rail?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, check out the one from McCann.
Very high quality.
Some of the guy's at Ft. Benning are using it.
Everyone likes it.

Semper Fi
Top Top