Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 12:30:09 PM EDT
I made good on a 2 year quest today...I just went and picked up a CMP Garand from a guy who lives a couple of blocks away. I'd run in to him at a gun show a few months back, and he said he was selling it.  

I called him last week, and he still had it.  It's a Springfield, Danish turnback in good condition with the VAR barrel, throat erosion 2...he had the guage.  At least this way, I could see what I was getting, and I can shoot it tomorrow...and I had the money now hehehe....I always worried about the CMP charging my bank card 6 months from now when I'm broke.    

He charged me what CMP is charging, minus the wait hehehe.  I got the rifle, an extra stock, manual, sling, and 2 clips of ammo for $445...can't wait to get out on the range to shoot it.  

I think I'll watch SPR tonight, to help me realize what our fathers (if you're old like me hehehe)went through protecting our freedoms with this tool.  

I looked around for a while...most of the Garands in these parts are going for around $1000 or so; I've even seen people selling Danish CMP rifles like this one for $700, so I feel pretty happy all in all.  At least this way, I could see what I was getting.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
you'll love it, at least I love mine
I paid more than the CMP price at a gunshow, but I got to pick it out myself, didn't have to find a club to shoot in a competition at and got to take it home that day. to me the extra money was worth it
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Fenian,

Sounds like you got a good deal on a nice rifle.

ED
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys,

I procrastinated for about 3 years before finally buying my Garand through the CMP process.  I'm in the military, which allows me to skip the competition requirement - I just had to join a local club and provide proof I was a member.  I received my Garand in what must be record time - it arrived literally two weeks from the day that I _mailed_ my order.

It's a pure Springfield, as far as I can tell from all the markings I've found on various parts, and it was manufactured in May 1943 - a World War II vet like I requested.  

http://www.mindspring.com/~drolsen/garand1.jpg

http://www.mindspring.com/~drolsen/garand2.jpg

I would definitely recommend CMP to anyone - looking around at the National Gun Day show last weekend, there were plenty of Garands, but most were pretty expensive and looked about as nice as mine.  My stock is a bit dinged up, and the wood doesn't quite match, as you can see from the pictures, but the metal parts are all in great shape.  I do understand the positive aspect of being able to pick out your own rifle - I may have gotten lucky with this one.

Everyone should own a Garand!

Dave

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
3ACR

Great looking rifle.
The stock is only dinged becaused it was used for verticle/horizontal buttstrokes during the BigOne  

Take care of her.

ED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top