Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/7/2003 12:30:09 PM EDT
I made good on a 2 year quest today...I just went and picked up a CMP Garand from a guy who lives a couple of blocks away. I'd run in to him at a gun show a few months back, and he said he was selling it.

I called him last week, and he still had it. It's a Springfield, Danish turnback in good condition with the VAR barrel, throat erosion 2...he had the guage. At least this way, I could see what I was getting, and I can shoot it tomorrow...and I had the money now hehehe....I always worried about the CMP charging my bank card 6 months from now when I'm broke.

He charged me what CMP is charging, minus the wait hehehe. I got the rifle, an extra stock, manual, sling, and 2 clips of ammo for $445...can't wait to get out on the range to shoot it.

I think I'll watch SPR tonight, to help me realize what our fathers (if you're old like me hehehe)went through protecting our freedoms with this tool.

I looked around for a while...most of the Garands in these parts are going for around $1000 or so; I've even seen people selling Danish CMP rifles like this one for $700, so I feel pretty happy all in all. At least this way, I could see what I was getting.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:45:32 PM EDT
you'll love it, at least I love mine
I paid more than the CMP price at a gunshow, but I got to pick it out myself, didn't have to find a club to shoot in a competition at and got to take it home that day. to me the extra money was worth it
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:21:21 PM EDT
Fenian,

Sounds like you got a good deal on a nice rifle.

ED
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:46:37 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I procrastinated for about 3 years before finally buying my Garand through the CMP process. I'm in the military, which allows me to skip the competition requirement - I just had to join a local club and provide proof I was a member. I received my Garand in what must be record time - it arrived literally two weeks from the day that I _mailed_ my order.

It's a pure Springfield, as far as I can tell from all the markings I've found on various parts, and it was manufactured in May 1943 - a World War II vet like I requested.

http://www.mindspring.com/~drolsen/garand1.jpg

http://www.mindspring.com/~drolsen/garand2.jpg

I would definitely recommend CMP to anyone - looking around at the National Gun Day show last weekend, there were plenty of Garands, but most were pretty expensive and looked about as nice as mine. My stock is a bit dinged up, and the wood doesn't quite match, as you can see from the pictures, but the metal parts are all in great shape. I do understand the positive aspect of being able to pick out your own rifle - I may have gotten lucky with this one.

Everyone should own a Garand!

Dave

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:11:19 PM EDT
3ACR

Great looking rifle.
The stock is only dinged becaused it was used for verticle/horizontal buttstrokes during the BigOne

Take care of her.

ED
Top Top