Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cigardad:
Howa 1500. Auction closes today
View Quote

Not bad if you want the funky stock (I don't).

Couldn't resist the siren's call and got a 223 to go with my 762x39 ...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504616/order_jpg-2861733.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
Originally Posted By cigardad:
Howa 1500. Auction closes today

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504616/order_jpg-2861733.JPG

You could probably sell the ORYX and cover a new stock with change to spare. I still regret not buying one of the kryptek blems cabelas had for $400 or $450.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
What about that Ruger ranch rifle? It's 556 and takes ar mags
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
After reading this and a few other pages, I am leaning toward the Ruger Ranch in 5.56. The use of AR mags and 5.56 grabbed my attention. Throw a decent scope and Bipod should make it a gun shooter.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Have a Howa.  Picking up a RAR 556 today
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G21] [#6]
I set up two Tikka T3X Lites for general range use and hunting if I ever want to go. One is .223 and the other is .308

In my old age my .308 Bergara B14 HMR is getting heavy and these are much easier to tote.

Both are set up identical, Mountain Tactical bottom metal & recoil lugs, Talley light weight mounts, Trijicon 3-9x40 Credos with green duplex, Tikka vertical grips and Limbsaver Airtech recoil pads.

The T3X's come with a steel recoil lug where the T3 was aluminum. The MT recoil lug is .003 thicker and seems to fit better in the receiver slot. You could tell it was thicker putting it in the stock recess.

The bottom metal is nice and the mags seem to have a little less play when inserted, but I don't think it is really needed, I just like to tinker.

No issues with shooting 5.56 in the .223 rifle.

My vote would be for a Tikka.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this thread is a few months old but I would get a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa over a Tika. Don't get me wrong, Tikas are good guns and are accurate but Howas are better made. They are what a 700 would look like if all the problem areas were fixed. It has a 1 piece bolt, a flat bottom, beefy extractor and are made true and square from the factory with tight tolerances. They are very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 1Coyote-conquest:
I know this thread is a few months old but I would get a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa over a Tika. Don't get me wrong, Tikas are good guns and are accurate but Howas are better made. They are what a 700 would look like if all the problem areas were fixed. It has a 1 piece bolt, a flat bottom, beefy extractor and are made true and square from the factory with tight tolerances. They are very accurate.
View Quote

Weatherby=Howa

Howas are great guns.  I'm a fanboy and have several.  That being said, they're in NO way better than a Tikka (unless Tikka has had some horrific QC issues recently that I've not heard about).
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m liking that Tikka T3X super Varmint!  Nice!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#10]
I had a Ruger American Ranch 556. Shot great . But it did not like Federal primers. 2 out of 10 would not go off. Changed ammo lot and the same thing.  The ammo was and is 100% in all other 556 rifles I own.  I got a bunch. I got rid of it for only that flaw. The rifle shoot all other brands of 556 with no issues.  But I shot Federal mainly. Ruger told me to shoot the other brands.  I got rid of it. I settled ,,,,lol ,,,, for a Tikka t3x Super Varmint 223.  Love it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I really love the Legacy Sports Howa Mini Action .223 Bolt Actions. They're affordable, more accurate than they should
be and just so nice and handy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Purchased a Mossberg Predator in 5.56 from Sports Authority for a good price when they were closing down.  Takes AR mags and has a 1/9 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Weatherby=Howa

Howas are great guns.  I'm a fanboy and have several.  That being said, they're in NO way better than a Tikka (unless Tikka has had some horrific QC issues recently that I've not heard about).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Originally Posted By 1Coyote-conquest:

Weatherby=Howa

Tell me how a Tikka is better than a Weatherby Vanguard? And I understand Howa makes them to Weatherbys tolerances. Is it because the price says it should be? I'm not saying a Tikka is a bad gun but they do a lot things for cost savings that could be better. I know they have also fixed a few things for the better like the ejection port and recoil lug.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I would keep a eye out in the local classifieds and see what turns up,’there are usually a few floating around ie Remington or Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:28:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmarshall1] [#15]
Bumping this one up.

I am looking for a .223 bolt action, maybeeeeeey .308 but really leaning toward 223 as it suits my needs best (punching holes, cheap ammo, under 500 yds).  Another huge plus is anything that would take an AR mag.

It seems Tikka T3x Varmint is the ruler to which others are measured by, and roughly $1,500 (accurate and very good bolt action/feel)   The barrel is a little longer than I would like and don't really want to send out a brand new gun for a barrel chop and thread.

Having said all that.  I have been looking at the Howa (barreled) mini action and adding a stock and should be ~ $1,000 or so. How does the Howa compare to the Tikka?  I have a Ruger American in 300 BO and love the lightweight feel, but not a big fan of the bolt slop and very loose tolerances of it (I want a bolt that feels like a finely machined firearm.

I'd prefer a barrel 20" or under, threaded, and under $1,500 (for $1,500 I'll just go for the Tikka).

Hera makes some chassis I like and they are reasonably priced but there's not one for 223, they are also coming out with the Hera H6 side load that takes AR magazines which to me is a HUGE plus, not certain I'm sold on the side load though.

https://hera-usa.com/the-long-awaited-h6-rifle/  forgot to add link

Howa mini action vs Tikka?

Anything else I'm missing in my comparisons?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Howa Mini is a cool gun but has some limitations. Proprietary mags for one. Fit and finish is really good on mine.

Tikka does some of the heavy barreled guns in 20”.  Think the new Super Varmint has a shorter option.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Howa Mini is a cool gun but has some limitations. Proprietary mags for one. Fit and finish is really good on mine.

Tikka does some of the heavy barreled guns in 20”.  Think the new Super Varmint has a shorter option.
View Quote

Ugg, why the proprietary mags? I wonder why any bolt action chambered in 223 doesn't run ar15 mags.  I'll relook at the Tikka and see if they have 20 in barrel option
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:

Ugg, why the proprietary mags? I wonder why any bolt action chambered in 223 doesn't run ar15 mags.  I'll relook at the Tikka and see if they have 20 in barrel option
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Because they’re tiny. If you want AR mags get the Ruger but that’s a standard short action.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:46:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasoncar40] [#19]
Originally Posted By KWGuy:
Purchased a Mossberg Predator in 5.56 from Sports Authority for a good price when they were closing down.  Takes AR mags and has a 1/9 twist barrel.
View Quote

The price was so good when I got mine on closeout, I bought 2

No mag in it for this picture, but it does take AR mags. I just need to get mine threaded.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top