User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Neato
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to see an Open division PRS rifle built on this platform. Take the Impulse Predator action with the AICS mags, drop it into a MPA/MDT-style aluminum chassis, add a Proof Research barrel and all the latest precision competition gadgets and tech and go run it in competition for a season. Let the competition space act as a proving ground for the accuracy and durability of the action. Plus a timed competition environment would be the perfect scenario for demonstrating any speed advantage of a straight-pull rifle. If Savage is smart they’ll have their sponsored precision shooters do exactly that. Whether they win or not isn’t so much the question, I just want to see if the action holds up to a full season of competition.

And if it does then I’d build one the same way for myself
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how similar the actual mounting interface is between the Impulse action and Savage’s more conventional long- and short-actions. Maybe it would be possible to modify a current chassis designed for the Model 10/110 to work for the Impulse action...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like that they’re trying new stuff, even if it is ultimately a failure.
View Quote

They said that about Blaser when they first came out and look at where they are now.
Three models in varying calibers, totally Ambi, springfield style extractor, straight pull and my favorite, Made in the USA.
I own three straight pull rifles already, Blaser Tac2 + R8 + Browning T bolt, so when available, I think a .243 predator will find a home with me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder how similar the actual mounting interface is between the Impulse action and Savage’s more conventional long- and short-actions. Maybe it would be possible to modify a current chassis designed for the Model 10/110 to work for the Impulse action...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like it may not need much modification. Recoil lug and bolt holes look similar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool looking rifle!  Looks like it also does away with the plunger ejector and has a fixed ejector like a Mauser or Sako action, which is neat.

I really like Savages so depending on how this thing performs in the long run I may end up getting one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plus a timed competition environment would be the perfect scenario for demonstrating any speed advantage of a straight-pull rifle.
View Quote

There's no doubt that a straight pull action is much quicker than a turn bolt.
Once you get used to a straight pull action, turn bolts will seem like your using a muzzleloader.
I have no clue as to it's durability yet, but I'm sure someone will test it once it's available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love savage rifles. My very first .22 rifle at seven years old was a savage and my current hunting setup is a savage.

But how in the world has savage not been sued in today’s political climate for their name by the woke crowd? Lol
View Quote

They quietly changed their logo fairly recently.  You will notice their is no longer an Indian Chief anywhere.

I don’t really blame them.  Basically avoiding a battle that would be pointless to fight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
after watching what some European shooters are capable of with their straight pulls as far as speed and accuracy, I think it's cool as hell. Not sure why they are not popular here.
View Quote

Because we can hunt with semi autos (at least in most states) and in sone Euro countries this is not allowed, or difficult to own SA rifles or just Euro fuddism,

Maybe this will become the new PA rifle of choice
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like it may not need much modification. Recoil lug and bolt holes look similar.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Once you get used to a straight pull action, turn bolts will seem like your using a muzzleloader.
I have no clue as to it's durability yet, but I'm sure someone will test it once it's available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus a timed competition environment would be the perfect scenario for demonstrating any speed advantage of a straight-pull rifle.

I’m just saying there would be no better test of the durability of the action than building one into a competition precision rifle. One season of PRS/NRL competition would put more rounds through the action than most private purchasers will in their lifetime.

If you want to find out what’s likely to break on your product, give it to someone to compete with. They’ll always find the flaws wherever they are
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#12]
So the barrel nut isn't really a barrel nut and just locks the recoil lug again a face on the extension and the barrel is held in the receiver buy a clamping of the front of the action?  Am I seeing this correct?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ll wait a bit to confirm the action is at least semi-compatible (or can be made to be) with other Savage stocks/chassis, but if it is this is the rifle that’s going to get me started in precision bolt guns
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m just saying there would be no better test of the durability of the action than building one into a competition precision rifle. One season of PRS/NRL competition would put more rounds through the action than most private purchasers will in their lifetime.

If you want to find out what’s likely to break on your product, give it to someone to compete with. They’ll always find the flaws wherever they are
View Quote

Agreed.
The only weakness's "per say" I see with this rifle, is the aluminum receiver's durability over time and it's advertised weight.
They've made great advances in metal technology over the years, so I'm sure savage has tested the strength of it for insurance purposes.
The rifle weighs a lot, 8.5 pounds rounded off.
That's without an optic and loaded magazine.
Not that that's going to stop me from buying one, once available.
Like all savage products, it's made to be upgraded, so time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So the barrel nut isn't really a barrel nut and just locks the recoil lug again a face on the extension and the barrel is held in the receiver buy a clamping of the front of the action?  Am I seeing this correct?
View Quote

I'm not entirely sure, but it's looks like the extension and barrel nut share threads. So the extension is set, then the lug and nut are tightened down. Since the bolt head locks directly into the extension, the receiver's connection to the extension just needs to withstand some recoil (whatever recoil doesn't go into the lug) and keep the action/mechanism and scope lined up with the extension/barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is the Fix not American made?
View Quote

The fix is straight pull?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the Fix not American made?

No it’s a traditional lifting bolt as stated on Q’s website:

COMMON FEATURES & SPECS:

• 45° SHORT THROW BOLT HANDLE

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/the-fix-by-q/
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I talked with a Savage rep today and was told that all models should be available in early spring and their not going to be making a short action receiver or a competition model anytime soon.
They've done extensive testing of the aluminum receiver's durability and it passed with flying colors.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I talked with a Savage rep today and was told that all models should be available in early spring and their not going to be making a short action receiver or a competition model anytime soon.
They've done extensive testing of the aluminum receiver's durability and it passed with flying colors.

View Quote

By short action do you mean mini action for 5.56/300BLK/7.62x39? Cause I’m pretty sure the 308/6.5CM sized action is what they would call a short action.

They don’t have to make a competition model - hell I hope they don’t ever offer it from the factory with a precision chassis system. That’ll just make the one I build that much more unique
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m a lefty shooter. Naturally I must have one of the predators in .308win.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
AHA! This video confirms the Impulse is compatible with/comes from the factory in a 110-pattern stock (relevant clip starts at 0:25):

That means any chassis meant for the 110 action should be a drop-in fit for the Impulse. Looks like it’s time for me to get into precision rifles, with a 6.5CM Savage Impulse rifle as my starting point
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#22]
That’s cool
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

By short action do you mean mini action for 5.56/300BLK/7.62x39? Cause I’m pretty sure the 308/6.5CM sized action is what they would call a short action.

They don’t have to make a competition model - hell I hope they don’t ever offer it from the factory with a precision chassis system. That’ll just make the one I build that much more unique
View Quote

Yeah, that has me confused as well?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
AHA! This video confirms the Impulse is compatible with/comes from the factory in a 110-pattern stock (relevant clip starts at 0:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KASIOhq51Y

That means any chassis meant for the 110 action should be a drop-in fit for the Impulse. Looks like it's time for me to get into precision rifles, with a 6.5CM Savage Impulse rifle as my starting point
View Quote
You might want to get that confirmed by an engineer, rather than a marketing lackey.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You might want to get that confirmed by an engineer, rather than a marketing lackey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KASIOhq51Y

That means any chassis meant for the 110 action should be a drop-in fit for the Impulse. Looks like it's time for me to get into precision rifles, with a 6.5CM Savage Impulse rifle as my starting point

Good call, spoke with a representative who has better understanding of the technical features and they stated the Impulse action would NOT be compatible with any chassis system currently available for other Savage actions like the 110 - but they are already working with industry partners to make such aftermarket components available as quickly as possible. Sounds like they understand in the modern firearms market the success or failure of a new platform rides significantly on whether or not there’s much aftermarket support for it. I’ll be interested to see what companies come up with for the new action
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The impulse action is based off of the 110, which is a long action.
I guess they wanted to make one action to use on all three models, as they did with the 110 tactical line years ago.
If it sells and there is demand, they'll probably make a short action.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#27]
As I posted in the other thread, if they made a Predator model with a short action in .223 or .300 BO with a heavy 16" barrel, I'd buy it.  I also posted that on their FB page.  They didn't say "yay or nay" but they (prob a bot) at least responded with a "we'll send the message up"
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m all for new designs in the bolt gun field, and I hope this one works.   That is a lot of pressure held back by a half dozen bearings,  I just hope it works as intended.    You can imagine where that bolt will end up if the system fails.

I do like the direction Sig and Savage have gone using a lockup in a bbl extension.
View Quote

It's a strong action (not sure of the longevity though).  From revivaler.com

The system is very strong, so strong that Heym have successfully tested it at 110,000psi pressure, which is about double the 55,000psi pressure of a typical full power rifle cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The system is very strong, so strong that Heym have successfully tested it at 110,000psi pressure, which is about double the 55,000psi pressure of a typical full power rifle cartridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm all for new designs in the bolt gun field, and I hope this one works.   That is a lot of pressure held back by a half dozen bearings,  I just hope it works as intended.    You can imagine where that bolt will end up if the system fails.

I do like the direction Sig and Savage have gone using a lockup in a bbl extension.

If they can figure out the wear-in that would make for some interesting possibilities with exotic case materials. It won't be me but someone somewhere will try it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If they can figure out the wear-in that would make for some interesting possibilities with exotic case materials. It won't be me but someone somewhere will try it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm all for new designs in the bolt gun field, and I hope this one works.   That is a lot of pressure held back by a half dozen bearings,  I just hope it works as intended.    You can imagine where that bolt will end up if the system fails.

So the Sig Fury case and pressure tech applied to other cases such as a higher pressure 308, 6.5, 7 mag, .223?
What says Quickload about these at 80000 psi.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Absolutely can't wait for the controlled round feed version of this in 9mm!!!

You know, in 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m all for new designs in the bolt gun field, and I hope this one works.   That is a lot of pressure held back by a half dozen bearings,  I just hope it works as intended.    You can imagine where that bolt will end up if the system fails.

I'm guessing worst case might be you replace the bearings when you replace the barrel... I have to say, I am very excited about this rifle, especially if they ever go to a mini action.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So the Sig Fury case and pressure tech applied to other cases such as a higher pressure 308, 6.5, 7 mag, .223?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would lead to pretty short barrel life by my guess.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Absolutely can't wait for the controlled round feed version of this in 9mm!!!

You know, in 5 years.
View Quote
That would actually be kinda cool; no real turnbolt 9mms right now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth the tradeoff in some applications hunting being one of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#36]
A mini action in 300blk would be pretty cool with straightpull.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#37]
With a msrp of $1300 it’s a hard pass for me.

If it was in the bargain price range like the Ruger Americans it would do really well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If it was in the bargain price range like the Ruger Americans it would do really well.
View Quote

That’s a lot to ask for
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Compared to other straight pull rifles, the savage is a bargain.
Blaser R8 barrels alone cost a minimum of $1,200 apc, sometimes without a magazine insert.
You want a left or right hand bolt housing, that's another $450+ apc, without the bolt, which is another $300+.
And do you want a stock/reciever with trigger housing/magazine to put it in ? Cough up another $2,500.
If their as accurate as their other rifles out of the box, it's a real bargain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Compared to other straight pull rifles, the savage is a bargain.
Blaser R8 barrels alone cost a minimum of $1,200 apc, sometimes without a magazine insert.
You want a left or right hand bolt housing, that's another $450+ apc, without the bolt, which is another $300+.
And do you want a stock/reciever with trigger housing/magazine to put it in ? Cough up another $2,500.
If their as accurate as their other rifles out of the box, it's a real bargain.
View Quote

K31s are still 500-700 locally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

K31s are still 500-700 locally.
View Quote

I have a friend who 15-20 years ago was buying a lot of C&R guns. He wasn't buying them as investments, just buying them because he enjoyed the history. I used to think he was crazy for sinking money into them at a time when we were young and light on money (not that either of us are rich now).

Seems he made the right call though. He has two K31s he bought in 2004, said he paid $90 each for them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#42]
That reminds me of a fun, but bad idea I had about 10 years back.

Mine never used bearings. But was instead a non rotating reduction gear sort of setup. Instead of rotating it pulled straight back. But with the gears the handle only moved about an inch and a half while the bolt did a full movement.

I talked myself out of it as it would be pretty useless for anything but a rapid fire bolt action. Semis exist. So I dubbed it useless.

I also had an idea for a gas operated revolver. A small gas port would cycle the action instead of double action. So you’d have a fast fire revolver. My idea had a hexagonal cylinder that snapped in and out of place so it could be quick changed.

Again. Semi autos exist , so I didn’t think about it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#43]
While I don't really see any need for it, I'm glad to see innovations coming out in the bolt action world.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Neat. Make it fit a common footprint and I’ll be interested.

Or hell, sell it stripped. That way I dont have to spend the effort removing it from, and shit canning the garbage tupperware they ship it with.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A mini action in 300blk would be pretty cool with straightpull.
View Quote

This is what I'm holding out for. Like a Mini Fix but available and not $4.5k on gunbroker...

I predict if we actually get an AWB rolled out, we're going to see a number of common, carbine-cartridges in nice little handy, straight-pull platforms. Straight-pull 300blk SBR with a suppressor and place for a laser for NVG shooting? Heck yeah, I'd take 2!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#46]
My stimulus money wasn't in the bank more than a few hours before I got notice that a 243 Impulse Predator was available.
Great timing, as I was going to spend it on a Joe Biden special edition commemorative shotgun.
Now the shipping wait begins.
SJC
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My stimulus money wasn't in the bank more than a few hours before I got notice that a 243 Impulse Predator was available.
Great timing, as I was going to spend it on a Joe Biden special edition commemorative shotgun.
Now the shipping wait begins.
SJC
View Quote

@sjcshooter1

Congrats!

Look forward to your review!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@sjcshooter1

Congrats!

Look forward to your review!
View Quote

As soon as I get the rifle, I'll be posting here about it, Good or Bad.
I'm sure it'll be mostly good about everything but the weight of it.
We shall see.
SJC
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As soon as I get the rifle, I'll be posting here about it, Good or Bad.
I'm sure it'll be mostly good about everything but the weight of it.
We shall see.
SJC
View Quote
Can't wait
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally got my hands on the Impulse predator in 243.
My initial impression ;
It's a nice rifle, but if your expecting Blaser quality for less than what a blaser barrel costs, your going to be disappointed. ?
Unlike the blaser, where the bolt assy rides on two rails, the Impulse bolt rides on the bolt release slot and the lock up ball bearings.
It's a little rough, but with some slide glide lube and kroil, it's alot smoother and should get smoother with use.
With the bolt riding on the bolt release, you need to pull straight back or the bolt slows down because it's binding on the bolt release, especially when using it left handed.
If you place the bolt position a little foward, the binding is minimal.
When the bolt handle is facing straight down, you tend to pull it upward's and back, not staright back to unlock it.
Bolt movement is a lot smoother in the right hand configuration and to me, it's due to the fact that there's less pressure being applied on the bolt release with the bolt being on the opposite side of the bolt release.
I removed the barrelled action from the stock and the stock machining is nice and smoothe, with no noticable gaps between the aluminum bed and stock.
It's a light stock and all the weight is in the barreled action, so the rifle is barrel heavy.
I was hoping to elimiate some weight from the stock to make it lighter, but I think the only options to make it lighter and balanced, is to have the barrel fluted or get a thinner profile barrel.
The barrel is fluted on the Big game impulse and I don't know why they didn't offer that with the predator model.
I didn't try to remove the barrel from the reciever, even though I want to get a look at the barrel extension.
I want to see how accurate it is out of the box and also don't want to take a chance on screwing it up before I get to fire it.
The supplied magazine works flawless, but it's long, noisy and a little loose when locked in.
Being it's metal, when it's partialy empty and/or empty, it's annoyingly loud.
Not what you want in a predator rifle, especially when hunting at night.
I don't like how far the 10rd magazine sticks out from the stock, so the 5 round Pmags I ordered and am waiting on will be a welcomed addition.
The threaded barrel cap is fitted nicely and the threads are clean.
Two 5/8-24 muzzle brakes threaded on and off without any binding.
The trigger breaks clean at 2 lb's, on both the digital and mechhanical pull gauges.
Thats out of the box, no messing with the accutrigger.
I prefer a 3 lb pull for a field rifle, but if it passes the drop test, I'll keep it at 2 lb's.
I cleaned, assembled and lubed the rifle.
Mounted + boresighted the trusted fixed pwr leupold test scope.
I have some factory and proven reloads in different bullet weights at hand.
Range results will be forthcoming.
I would attach pic's, but it's no different then whats pictured on Savages website.

SJC

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top