Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2017 3:39:39 PM EDT
Has anyone tried or had any success with welding on an endcap as opposed to using something like a DM or SDTA endcap that just screws on?

I'm just wondering if it would be worth the trouble of finding a local machine shop deal with welding a TI tube.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welding titanium is a pretty specialized process. Many shops may not have the equipment.  Id say threaded end caps would be ideal, as you'd probably need to have the weld on end caps turned on a lathe anyway.

Hope you get something figured out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have several cans that are welded shut. My current Form1 build will also be sealed.
Typical reasons for welding would be:
-Allowing thinner tube walls due to not needing extra material for threads
-Centerfire rifle can that doesn't need servicing
-Welding on a rear cap so it may be pinned/welded to short barrel to alleviate SBR stamp
-No need for threads equals a shorter OAL or more room for baffles in the same given length

Yes, welding Ti requires extra steps and equipment. However, calling around to a few welding, machine, and fab shops couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the cleaning part? Does the welded cap take away from ease of taking it apart to clean?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Welding Ti need to have the parts in a purged chamber filled with 100% Argon.

For a can, it should work with just the back purge since the tube is encapsulated, but it is not ideal, since it's gonna be used in a very violent environment.

Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you run dual flow meters and just run a hose to backpurge the tube a min or two before welding you should be ok with a large gas lens and a slow travel speed and short welds 1/2” at a time. Make sure you use enough post flow. The color will tell you if you’re effectively shielded.  I’m not a professional welder or certified. I have only played around with ti in my shop. I would not trust it to be xray quality, but it’s a silencer not an aircraft part.  A purge chamber would be best, but you should be ok with just back purging and limiting your travel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I just welded a TI endcap on a recent F1 can. I weld for a living but had never welded TI. I purged the tube just like you would a stainless pipe weld. Without any filler wire I fused the endcap to the tube in quarters. It welds much different then other common materials(carbon steel/stainless). I actually lightened my lense shade from a 10 to a 9 and could probably have gon to and 8. In the end it looks like a solid weld but not that pretty. I haven’t tested the can yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top