Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 8:17:27 PM EDT
seems like a dumb question....but it is the ATF....
so I build a form 1 can with the intent to put it on two rifles.
the two rifles have different threads on the bbl
can I build one endcap with threads for one bbl and another endcap for threads to fit the other bbl.
the endcap is just a mount to attach the suppressor to the rifle.
is that legal on one stamp? or do I have "extra parts"

I know I have seen people with multiple threaded boosters for pistol cans.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be legal....but again...atf and all
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
External Boosters and their Pistons are not classified as silencer parts. Hence, why they're able to be sold at retail and w/o a tax stamp. End caps are silencer parts and must be dealt w/ accordingly. What you can do is make a rear cap with the largest thread you intend to use and build bushing to fit smaller pitches. The bushing/adapters are also not considered silencer parts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Historically BATFE considers a tube, the endcaps, and everything they contain silencer parts.

So no, you can NOT make two different endcaps for threading onto different hosts.

You could do as stated above, and make an adapter for the smaller thread size.

You could also make an endcap with a much larger thread (like a gemtech multimount) and then make multiple adapters (or purchase commercially available if using the same thread as others on the market) for hosts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
DM will also thread for Bowers VersAdapt inserts.  Thats a fairly cheap option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DM will also thread for Bowers VersAdapt inserts.  Thats a fairly cheap option.
View Quote
But heavy and still direct thread with adapters. I have one. But agreed, good option
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Historically BATFE considers a tube, the endcaps, and everything they contain silencer parts.

So no, you can NOT make two different endcaps for threading onto different hosts.

You could do as stated above, and make an adapter for the smaller thread size.

You could also make an endcap with a much larger thread (like a gemtech multimount) and then make multiple adapters (or purchase commercially available if using the same thread as others on the market) for hosts.
View Quote
This is how I understand it as well. For  home made can...

a "D" sized tube with one of the two endcaps being a "D" to "B" reducer, then the suppressor is complete. from there you can put what ever thread adapter on it you want. This is the exact concept of a Gemtech Multimount. ( I have one of these ) Any b sized adapter will fit it and is not considered a suppressor part.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two barrel adapters but I use both as end caps at the same time, one on each end and swap them for each application. This way I don't have any extra parts. It seems kind of stupid, but I didn't want to risk tolerance stacking with threaded bushing type adapters and I didn't write the stupid rules. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Endcaps are part of the silencer as far as BATF is concerned.

On the other hand, you can have multiple adapters that fit the threads of your endcap.  For example, my Form 1 can is in .22 and has a 1/2-28 threaded end cap.  That works for just about any .22 barrel, but my Walther P22 has a metric thread on the muzzle.  I have an adapter for between the metric barrel end nut thread and the 1/2-28 thread, which is apparently a typical approach for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Endcaps are part of the silencer as far as BATF is concerned.
View Quote
But what about different direct thread endcaps that have another use other than suppressor use such as perhaps a solvent trap ?????
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But what about different direct thread endcaps that have another use other than suppressor use such as perhaps a solvent trap ?????
View Quote
The ATF sees them as part of the suppressor.  Form 1 cans CANNOT have spare parts; those are considered unregistered suppressor parts.

Even if all it does is hold the parts in, an end cap is a "suppressor part" and not something you can switch out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on how much anal probing you want from the ATF. If you have an ACTUAL solvent trap and use it as a SOLVENT TRAP. then you would be better off permanently affixing the end cap so there is no constructive intent. OR... just don't play games. Your life, live it as you see it. I personally believe that all supressors should be an over the counter paperless accessory. However until the feds sees it that way we're under different rules.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have considered building a rather large muzzle break that consists of a short tube with the same size/threads at the silencer tube and slots cut in the sides. Then, build various ends for that muzzle break in whatever thread/caliber I desire.

May or may not be legal, not sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on how you do it.

Example:

Red piece #1 is an end cap, only one allowed
At spot #2, the tube holds the baffles in.
Gray piece is a thread adapter.  Baffles won't fall out without it.   Most cans have 1/2" or 5/8" internal threads, in this case the green, blue and red parts are a complete can with a 1.25" external thread (#3)
Gray piece could be pinned and welded to the barrel at spot #4.  Or you could start out with a big enough barrel blank and have that thread at the end.

Not a silencer part but equivalent to the gray piece:

Has a common thread to attach to a barrel, and a less common thread to attached to a specific silencer.

But really, just make your can to permanently be threaded for the bigger muzzle, and buy or make something like this:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/thread-adapters/thread-adapter-1-2-28-to-5-8-24-prod54364.aspx

Edit: Well ok, I don't know if any of this shit is actually required.  But if you think it's required this is one way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Exactly what does the "hold the baffles in" discussion have to do with it?

Nothing as far as I know. Pure internet myth...like the "ok to build it shorter but not longer" myth.
View Quote
It's the same setup as the Gemtech Multimount 9mm setup. Same concept. There is an threaded end cap that hold the suppressor guts together, then it's reduced down to a slightly smaller thread, then any endcap you can come up with can be threaded on that.  Jesus fucking Christ. Some of you guys worry about this shit way too much, and definitely overthink it.

The Multimount design is acceptable to copy for how it's setup. No difference in how it works. With the MM you can have as many endcaps as you want, or as many different boosters as you want. They are an UNREGULATED item. if they were regulated Gemtech would have had their shit pushed in by the ATF long ago.

I know this is a tech forum. . . But you guys seriously think the ATF is standing over your shoulder waiting to try to come up with any excuse to fuck your life up. Copy an existing design from a big company and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Big Waylon, please correct me if I'm off base with any of this...

I think it's important to keep in mind that major silencer manufacturers can and have "done things" that you and I might run into ATF trouble with.

My read is that any structural part of a suppressor is a "suppressor part."  It may or may not hold baffles in, but there's some sort of necessary function to that part, making it somehow special to that suppressor.

The whole point of the flash hider/silencer mount is not (necessarily) to allow you to use the silencer on multiple firearms, but to allow you to remove the silencer from that particular firearm.  Gemtech, AAC, YHM, and other brands of silencer mounts are essentially the same thing as the thread adapter I mentioned in my earlier post.  The part that the mount fits in the suppressor is a suppressor part (whether it holds in baffles or just whistles "Dixie") and you can only have one of these per suppressor, while the XYZ suppressor mount is unregulated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's all complete nonsense.
View Quote
I totally agree on this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope the reply to my question by Getnlwr was directed at the thread in general,
View Quote
You are correct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I just built my cans around sd tacticals' griffin taper mount d tube adaptor. Then you just buy griffin armament taper mount muzzle devices for all your hosts. They come in all the common thread pitches. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
SD makes a pig cover that fits all of their thread adapters. Would that give the alternative use for different adapters making then essentially not suppressor parts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]
The only true "safe" adapters to use are the ones commercially available.

If you can buy a part that has been determined to not be a silencer part, and use it how it was intended without modification, you will obviously be fine.

Whether or not you can then make your own exact copy, or a similar copy, of that part (thread adapter, swappable endcap aperture, etc.) to use on a form1 suppressor is pushing into the grey area.

Being able to legally swap parts like endcaps between different suppressors is pushing into the grey area.

It is highly unlikely ATF or anybody else will ever pursue a case of illegal possession of an unregistered silencer in these cases, but that doesn't mean they couldn't.

Historically ATF has always been on the side of more restriction, and it has taken court rulings to keep them in check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top