Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
Would like to build it to use on my 16" 500 S&W rifle.

Had my rifle threaded 3/4-24

Suggested parts list for my hypothetical build before I just go buy a bowers can?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested to hear the responses. I have a encore I SBRed and want to go the same route. Not many people doing it so I've only found a handful of stories.  

On the commercial side the Bowers seems to be a great solution.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
heheheheh.   That sounds fun!!!!!    
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I take it you don't have access to a lathe and are looking for a solvant tube and storage cup solution?

if you have access to a lathe I'd do a 1.625-2" tube with modified k baffles, and either integrated skirts that stack on each other or cut a shoulder on the skirt so you could put a outer sleeve between baffles that way the whole stack doesn't accordion or collapse.

500 s&w is still a high pressure cartridge (45k psi I believe maybe higher) I would either do all 17-4 baffles thinning them after the second or third baffle or you could do 2-3 baffles in 17-4 then the rest in 7075, however if you plan on running cast (and if it were me that's all I'd be running as it would be cheap fun!) then you wouldn't be able to run the AL baffles in the dip to clean them which is why I'd recommend all 17-4 construction with a ti, stainless, or thin chromoly tube.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take it you don't have access to a lathe and are looking for a solvant tube and storage cup solution?

if you have access to a lathe I'd do a 1.625-2" tube with modified k baffles, and either integrated skirts that stack on each other or cut a shoulder on the skirt so you could put a outer sleeve between baffles that way the whole stack doesn't accordion or collapse.

500 s&w is still a high pressure cartridge (45k psi I believe maybe higher) I would either do all 17-4 baffles thinning them after the second or third baffle or you could do 2-3 baffles in 17-4 then the rest in 7075, however if you plan on running cast (and if it were me that's all I'd be running as it would be cheap fun!) then you wouldn't be able to run the AL baffles in the dip to clean them which is why I'd recommend all 17-4 construction with a ti, stainless, or thin chromoly tube.
View Quote
Thanks. Waiting to see what happens with law before dropping on can + tax.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm willing to bet that the $200 you save is going to be offset by price increase due to demand if if passes. Same with time. There is no way any suppressor will be in stock within 24 hours. If you want one, get one. just my. 02
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that the $200 you save is going to be offset by price increase due to demand if if passes. Same with time. There is no way any suppressor will be in stock within 24 hours. If you want one, get one. just my. 02
View Quote
No, I meant for making one of them myself :)
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
You might be waiting for a really long time. Over a year ago when we were all waiting for the HPA to pass, I put in my Form 1. As of September I have had my Form back. As of last month I've had the can completed. In all that time the HPA still hasn't passes but I have my suppressor.

Oh and if I didn't spend the $200 on a tax stamp last year, I'm sure it would have gotten spent on some other stupid thing I wouldn't even remember anymore by now.

You know what else has happened in the past year? Some of the companies like SD Tactical and others who sell parts have been put out of business because the ATF decided to crack down on "solvent trap" manufacturers and sellers.

The point is don't wait for anything.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You might be waiting for a really long time. Over a year ago when we were all waiting for the HPA to pass, I put in my Form 1. As of September I have had my Form back. As of last month I've had the can completed. In all that time the HPA still hasn't passes but I have my suppressor.

Oh and if I didn't spend the $200 on a tax stamp last year, I'm sure it would have gotten spent on some other stupid thing I wouldn't even remember anymore by now.

You know what else has happened in the past year? Some of the companies like SD Tactical and others who sell parts have been put out of business because the ATF decided to crack down on "solvent trap" manufacturers and sellers.

The point is don't wait for anything.
View Quote
All valid points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top