BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think its cut a little wide .050 would be plenty, you can tell comparing your mag opening on the trigger guard to mine that the magwell cut on mine in definitely wider.  I just went on got my 583 tactical and its fits a little tighter but you can still pretty easily push it forward until the top of the stock stops it.  I just measured and the 583 is .020 wider then the early one I have where it would contact at the front, its probably a tolerance stacking thing - thin receiver and wide stock..

I can either fit a mini 14 reinforcement or can probably just bend the ears of the one that came with it in a little, since I refinished the stock I'm sure warranty on the wood is out of the question.
View Quote

Yerrrrrp, give the inside tabs a lil caressing.

My warranty is def gone now

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks good, that was quick refinish.  I'll just bend the tabs in a 'U' shape, should be good enough, the rear part is the most critical and thats fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/1stprsw/IMG-20200410-200418782.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZWSnCj9/IMG-20200410-200555712.jpg

View Quote
You and I think very, very alike.

Also
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Figured I'd post this pic in case someone else has the same issue, few minutes of bending and it should be good to go.  Most likely its just me, always happens that way :(

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Figured I'd post this pic in case someone else has the same issue, few minutes of bending and it should be good to go.  Most likely its just me, always happens that way :(

https://i.imgur.com/V3rvPH9.jpg
View Quote

No issue with mine securely blocked from moving forward and reverse.

Let me get this straight, without bending yours slides forward right over the parts you bent?

My receiver fits in that U quite well.

Now comparing it to a factory original. Yes they are using a Mini-30 reinforcement. Fit is perfect on original and not perfect on Samson. But still OK. Yours is way way off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/1stprsw/IMG-20200410-200418782.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZWSnCj9/IMG-20200410-200555712.jpg

View Quote

What type of finish allows you to reassemble so quickly?

Can I assume it is just stained?

Color is nice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a sherwyn-williams wiping stain, in dark cherry, but custom tinted to match some BM-59 stocks i redid for a buddy. Its my "GI stock" color and works very well.. It goes on with a rag, you coat it evenly, and add more coats to darken. This is just one coat. It dires very fast after it seeps in, can handle without worry. I have to buff it a bit and maybe seal it. I love it.

Also, i added a sling (GI M4 sling) The rear hole needed cleaned out a bit with a round jewlers file. Some flash was preventing the swivel from going through.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Color is nice.
View Quote

I'd say about perfect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No issue with mine securely blocked from moving forward and reverse.

Let me get this straight, without bending yours slides forward right over the parts you bent?

My receiver fits in that U quite well.

Now comparing it to a factory original. Yes they are using a Mini-30 reinforcement. Fit is perfect on original and not perfect on Samson. But still OK. Yours is way way off.
View Quote

Yes, the front tabs didnt even touch the receiver and you could slide it forward.  The original stock works just fine as well as the ruger plastic stock for the tactical, I think they screwed up and cut the magwell too wide on mine.  My 583 tactical was a little tighter but you could still slide it forward with a little pressure.  The receiver can still move a little too much side to side for my liking (the wood in the 'U' is what limits side to side movement) and next time I bed another stock I'll build it up a little.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't stand it anymore.  After watching how nice you guys did yours I had to darken my wood.

I went with Varathane "Gunstock" witch I think looks reasonable.   Its better than blonde for a Ruger Mini.

" />

Here is before - but indoor pic - It is much darker now.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I couldn't stand it anymore.  After watching how nice you guys did yours I had to darken my wood.

I went with Varathane "Gunstock" witch I think looks reasonable.   Its better than blonde for a Ruger Mini.

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/001_zpshwftxasc.jpg" target="_blank">https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/001_zpshwftxasc.jpg

Here is before - but indoor pic - It is much darker now.

https://oi1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/001_zpsaeroxdve.jpg
View Quote

That is nice.

Nice clean look.

The ones with the wild grain patterns seem to come out cool.  The ones with straight subtle grain seem to come out nice with a factory professional appearance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Factually this A-TM is not a Mini-14 folding stock.

It is a Mini-30 folding stock that can be used for a Mini-14.

Cut to Mini-30 specs and even uses a Mini-30 reinforcement. And will not accept a Mini-14 reinforcement.

So when Samson states this is not a copy or reproduction it is a lie unless you base that on it being a totally new product that never existed.

A Mini-30 Ruger folding stock never existed so there is that.

"Q: How close is it to the original?
A: Cast components are coming off the original Ruger molds and wood is also supplied by Ruger. New production wood is Walnut instead of the original Birch, and pistol grips are Polymer where the originals were Bakelite. The retention screw uses an Allen-head instead of the original slotted head design. Other than that, it is the original stock."

No, you are using a Mini-30 reinforcement and the wood is cut for a Mini-30 and will not accept a Mini-14 reinforcement.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Factually this A-TM is not a Mini-14 folding stock.

It is a Mini-30 folding stock that can be used for a Mini-14.

Cut to Mini-30 specs and even uses a Mini-30 reinforcement. And will not accept a Mini-14 reinforcement.

So when Samson states this is not a copy or reproduction it is a lie unless you base that on it being a totally new product that never existed.

A Mini-30 Ruger folding stock never existed so there is that.

"Q: How close is it to the original?
A: Cast components are coming off the original Ruger molds and wood is also supplied by Ruger. New production wood is Walnut instead of the original Birch, and pistol grips are Polymer where the originals were Bakelite. The retention screw uses an Allen-head instead of the original slotted head design. Other than that, it is the original stock."

No, you are using a Mini-30 reinforcement and the wood is cut for a Mini-30 and will not accept a Mini-14 reinforcement.

View Quote

Ruger made mini 30 wood stocks a while ago, no folder though, thats why reinforcements are available.  I'm not going to throw Samson under the bus for this, if ruger supplies the wood and reinforcements then its possible Samson doesnt even really know.  All they know is it fits a min-14 and mini-30.  Yes it is not an accurate reproduction, allen bolts, round cut, walnut and big SAMSON etched on the folder isnt accurate either.  Its a good thing for OE folder owners, its also a good thing for customers since for 280 bucks you can get a better look then any other aftermarket folder out there I have seen.  Also I'm sure neither ruger or samson wanted two part numbers.

I honestly had no clue mini-30 and mini-14 stocks were different, took a while of internet searching to figure it out.  You can use a mini 14 stock on a mini-30 with some modifications, including the different reinforcement.  And you can use a mini-14 in a mini 30 stock with no mods (according to the internet anyhow).  Unfortunately I probably have a little narrorwer receiver and a little wider stock and the combination didnt work.  I doubt I'm the only one but most people will probably just throw it in the stock, lock it down and not notice.

What baffles me is why Ruger doesnt source/make a mini-14 style flash hider, perforated stainless upper handguard, side sling gas block, stainless 30 round mag and put an A-Team clone out there :)
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I am 100% satisfied with my stock and how it fits and functions.  I have a grand into something that costs $1500 for an older version.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome stock!  Love it!  A refinish is just busy work for the anal retentive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I will eventually get one, once I get a stainless Mini-14 to go with my blued GB
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I will eventually get one, once I get a stainless Mini-14 to go with my blued GB
View Quote
It seems as though the stock might have a longer lead time than the rifles.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome stock!  Love it!  A refinish is just busy work for the anal retentive.
View Quote

I wish a whitish, light, zero grain, 2X4 colored A-TM upon you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to try to hold out for darker wood and a blued version.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The picture my 'Smith sent indicates that's exactly what I received, complete with round cut.

Oh well, I'm more than happy with that .
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Another customer.

Colors are now trending darker and square cut groove becoming the standard. I believe Samson/Ruger is responding to complaints of light color.

On a side note pics from this thread are still being suppressed or censored by Google. AR15.com I believe is blocked from Google IMAGE.

Samson is still also censoring reviews posted to their site. MANY reviews have been submitted and Samson refuses to approve them.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Will a Mini-14 malfunction with the Mini-30 reinforcement installed on this stock?  My GB seems to fit tight when locked up, but it does have fit issues before the trigger group is locked in.  I'd rather not bend the reinforcement.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]

My stock, as mentioned earlier.  Blonde wood with the figure and elegance of a 2x4, with a round cut.  Received from Ruger.  And I'm fine with it, because I'm not planning on recreating a classic look, I was interested in the functionality of it.  YMMV.

ETA:  he says it's better in person, but oh well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#25]
All this talk of Mini30 parts, gave me the idea to maybe use my stock with a mini30 instead of my 14GB since I can't find the keltec folding bayonet, so why have a folder on a bayonet gun?

But damn, new Mini30's (want threaded, nice that they're 5/8X24) are $1k, what the hell Ruger! They cost as much as my vz58 did!

So yeah, screw that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Will a Mini-14 malfunction with the Mini-30 reinforcement installed on this stock?  My GB seems to fit tight when locked up, but it does have fit issues before the trigger group is locked in.  I'd rather not bend the reinforcement.
View Quote

Only issue I can see is the rifle moving forward in the stock when firing, most of the recoil is directed to the rear naturally and those lugs engage just fine.  There is some forward recoil when the bolt slams home (mini-14s are violent little things) and it may be enough to let the receiver move forward.  If that happens it will slam back under recoil, not good.  The friction fit of the locked trigger guard may be enough, you will easily be able to see if its moving by shiny spots in the wood on top and where the trigger guard contacts the stock.  

Other than that its not going to affect anything else.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All this talk of Mini30 parts, gave me the idea to maybe use my stock with a mini30 instead of my 14GB since I can't find the keltec folding bayonet, so why have a folder on a bayonet gun?

But damn, new Mini30's (want threaded, nice that they're 5/8X24) are $1k, what the hell Ruger! They cost as much as my vz58 did!

So yeah, screw that.
View Quote

yes, best i found was just a tad less than $900 shipped ruger 5868. i am holding off getting one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Samson made a major change to their website and now the A-TM pic shows a sickly pale actual production model. OR DOES IT.....

Previously the pic was a pre-production dark model.

And what is F uped is THAT THEY PHOTO SHOPPED THE NEW PIC.  I examined it and these two pics ARE THE SAME but the lighter one is a photo shop of the earlier one.

HOW CERTAIN AM I THAT IT IS A PHOTO SHOP?  100% certain and there is no doubt!

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
"First come first serve basis" be like:

Preorder
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Preorder
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger
Ruger

Ps i heard more in stock from ruger on the 15th lol. Go get em boyzzz
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#30]
First video I have seen of a customer owned.

Square cut groove and color light but not terrible.

Person suggests couple month back log. Not from Samson, more like many months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty4E-O5yKF0
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Another A-TM at auction.

They must not know Ruger is getting a batch in.

Currently at over $400 shipped.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864917089
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#32]
@BRN-180 I Made a video today since you are looking for people who have em. Im not internet famous but hey, there I am. Lol.

MINI-14 A-TM STOCK overview
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@BRN-180 I Made a video today since you are looking for people who have em. Im not internet famous but hey, there I am. Lol.

MINI-14 A-TM STOCK overview
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Another A-TM at auction.

They must not know Ruger is getting a batch in.

Currently at over $400 shipped.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864917089
View Quote

Sold for $541 shipped. Absurd.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Why would u pay double for sometjingnthats a stocked item @ shopruger
Com with a definite new batch coming in?

Rich guys are DUMB!

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Samaon just called me, the guy was like hey im gonna make  your day! Lol.
I told him i got ome through ruger, and hes gonna call the next guy on the list. Hope its one of yall!

Ur gonna love it

Pay if forward, dont hock em on gunbroker!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sold for $541 shipped. Absurd.
View Quote

It almost makes me want to sell mine now and just buy it later on, it's not like I "need" it in any way. Of course, if I keep it they'll become plentiful. If I sell it, they'll immediately cancel it and the prices will jump up to triple...

Of course, since none of my local ranges are open, I've not even had a chance to shoot with it to see how it feels!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
i have taken mine out about 3 times before this quarantine lock-down happened.
Since then i put an Ultimak and crossfire red-dot on mine.  It changed the balance and i liked it better before.  Also, my gas block is a tiny bit crooked now because I wasn't paying attention.  That being said I tightened it down incredibly even.  The gap on each side of the block is exactly the same. I used my old analog micrometer to check.
I haven't shot it since and want to try it out.... waiting.

The reason I wanted the red dot on it was to shoot it more accurately with the stock folded. yeah, its silly but its what I wanted to do.  I think I am going to put a QD mount on it eventually, ADM. It is lighter without the optic. Its the nature of forward mounted optics.
By the way, the new crossfire red dots are drastically clearer than the first gen (even though they don't tell you that there is a second generation of them).

I loved shooting it each time I took it out.  It feels like a whole new animal. Everyone who has shot it really likes it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i have taken mine out about 3 times before this quarantine lock-down happened.
Since then i put an Ultimak and crossfire red-dot on mine.  It changed the balance and i liked it better before.  Also, my gas block is a tiny bit crooked now because I wasn't paying attention.  That being said I tightened it down incredibly even.  The gap on each side of the block is exactly the same. I used my old analog micrometer to check.
I haven't shot it since and want to try it out.... waiting.

The reason I wanted the red dot on it was to shoot it more accurately with the stock folded. yeah, its silly but its what I wanted to do.  I think I am going to put a QD mount on it eventually, ADM. It is lighter without the optic. Its the nature of forward mounted optics.
By the way, the new crossfire red dots are drastically clearer than the first gen (even though they don't tell you that there is a second generation of them).

I loved shooting it each time I took it out.  It feels like a whole new animal. Everyone who has shot it really likes it.

View Quote
I for one would love a picture of that, as that's what I'm planning to do with this Mini project.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#40]
In case anyone wants the look of a silver 30 round mag I found a few of these.  They appear nicked plated, could be stainless but I dont think so, but they are aftermarket trash.  But they look cool and work somewhat (if you dont push up on them when firing) so if you want one for the look they are 25.00 (plus 10.00 ship).  I was ordering some other stuff and came across them, they have 7 or 8 in stock. If anyone is interested I'll post the company that sells them.  Once again these are for looks only, they are cheaply made and would not trust them work at all.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In case anyone wants the look of a silver 30 round mag I found a few of these.  They appear nicked plated, could be stainless but I dont think so, but they are aftermarket trash.  But they look cool and work somewhat (if you dont push up on them when firing) so if you want one for the look they are 25.00 (plus 10.00 ship).  I was ordering some other stuff and came across them, they have 7 or 8 in stock. If anyone is interested I'll post the company that sells them.  Once again these are for looks only, they are cheaply made and would not trust them work at all.

https://i.imgur.com/rQCLsih.jpg
View Quote

Did you change the finish again? Not the same as last pic. Much different pic. Very factory Ruger looking.

What did you use this time?

Needs a factory sling and swivel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did you change the finish again? Not the same as last pic. Much different pic. Very factory Ruger looking.

What did you use this time?

Needs a factory sling and swivel.
View Quote

Last pic had the sun shining on it so it looks lighter.

I have a 'real' sling and swivel just havent put it on, I got it back when I ordered a stock from Samson.

I still have to get rid of the allen screws..
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I for one would love a picture of that, as that's what I'm planning to do with this Mini project.
View Quote

I’ll see if I can get one in the next couple weeks. I’m swamped with remote crap which is keeping me really busy.  I’ll see if I can take a picture this coming up weekend. I haven’t been a member of an image hosting website in a long time so I don’t know what’s out there. I’ll look around.

The cheek weld with the red that is not as good as it was with the irons but it’s not terrible.   It’s just slightly more of a heads up position.  An AK with an ultimak and red dot is much more natural feeling.  An AK with a Russian red dot sight is MUCH worse of a heads up position.  If you know what I’m talking about, that awkward high bore red dot set up that Russian side mounts have.   The ultimak and mini 14 with side folder is very doable.  
To be honest, I think I like it better without the ultimak and red dot more. I’m partial to wishing I would’ve just thrown a Choate handguard on it.  That being said, mini 14 irons are really only good for out to a hundred yards. I’ve only use them up close with success. Of course that’s just my opinion.  I don’t mind the irons but a red dot optic is slightly more precise. Again, that’s my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Are these in stock anywhere? Is it quicker to order from Samson or ruger or brownells in terms of receiving it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Another customer.

Changes again?

Notice the groove cut. No space between metal and end of cut. Now the 3rd variation. This one not like original Ruger cut.

First was a rounded cut.
Next was a Ruger square cut.
Now this flush with metal cut.

There can be two reasons.  Milling program changed at one maker or 3 different makers/shops cutting the raw blank.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Another customer.

Changes again?

Notice the groove cut. No space between metal and end of cut. Now the 3rd variation. This one not like original Ruger cut.

First was a rounded cut.
Next was a Ruger square cut.
Now this flush with metal cut.

There can be two reasons.  Milling program changed at one maker or 3 different makers/shops cutting the raw blank.

https://i.redd.it/68qdi5c08gt41.jpg

View Quote
To me it looks like a round cut, only blurry; there is no contrast that would indicate a linear edge near where a flat cut would end, but there does appear to be some shade and wood grain near the end of the metal in the cut.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey Magpul,  why can you not make this mag?

Dual use for AR-15 and Mini-14.

If this guy can do it you can do it.

Ramline also did it for triple use, Mini-14, AR-15, AR-180.

The market would eat them up.

Magpul, take notice of the EXTREME rebirth and new excitement in the Mini-14 as evident with the Samsom A-TM.

Sales of a triple use or dual use Pmag would be huge.

Market them for dual/triple use NOT for AR-15 only use as AR-15 Pmags are gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_i4Cvl71HY

@magpul
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/rQCLsih.jpg
View Quote

Anyone have any luck with just spray painting a mag for the "stainless" look?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Anyone have any luck with just spray painting a mag for the "stainless" look?
View Quote

Yes I used Rustoleum "Professional" stainless from Lowes - It came out fairly good on some spare factory 20 rounders I have and didn't mind painting.

in the pics below.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
This customer is pissed. One day ago.

Customer: "Ordered this in January just received it in the mail. Color was stated to be walnut, all of their promo pictures show it the same color as my original 1979 solid stock. It comes in the mail today and looks like an unfinished wood shop project with no color at all. I never wanted a white Mini-14"

Customer: "Here’s a fun fact as well. They have to approve all the reviews of their own products... was wondering why a product that sold thousands of units only had 2, 5 star reviews and no others. I put in a 1 Star review of my thoughts. It was declined to be published... by Samson."

Many customers have submitted very bad reviews and Samson refuses to post them.

Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top