User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perfectunion is such a fucked up site!

Their site is broke. Signed up for a membership and they won't allow you to post. You have to wait to be activated by email that never comes no matter how many times you request it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfect Union has a whole section on the Mini.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/

Their site is broke. Signed up for a membership and they won't allow you to post. You have to wait to be activated by email that never comes no matter how many times you request it.
+1
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a regular there on the Mini and Handloading forums for years until early this year I got fed up and left it.  The Moderator, Whofarted, lets the members who pay to advertise say and do pretty much anything they want.  If someone challenges their rudeness or callouts, then they get warnings or temp bans but the real culprits go unchecked able to screw around with anyone.

Anyway, a number of us dropped out because we just didn't find PU to be the good, considerate, technically excellent site it had been in the past as more and more of the real contributors left in disgust.  It's sad as there were a fair number who regularly posted there that really know Minis and were a great source of information.  No so much anymore.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was a regular there on the Mini and Handloading forums for years until early this year I got fed up and left it.  The Moderator, Whofarted, lets the members who pay to advertise say and do pretty much anything they want.  If someone challenges their rudeness or callouts, then they get warnings or temp bans but the real culprits go unchecked able to screw around with anyone.

Anyway, a number of us dropped out because we just didn't find PU to be the good, considerate, technically excellent site it had been in the past as more and more of the real contributors left in disgust.  It's sad as there were a fair number who regularly posted there that really know Minis and were a great source of information.  No so much anymore.
View Quote
I was a member there years ago and my screen name is active but forgot my password. Its impossible to get it reset because the system won't send the email and impossible to activate a new registration because they won't send the email.

Screw them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are having some infrastructure problems.  What user name did you use, I'll send a note to admin.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are having some infrastructure problems.  What user name did you use, I'll send a note to admin.

There is some truth to what COSteve says. There are some distinct "personalities: there, and business members do get more latitude. I still hang around there because it is the best resource for Mini 14 information.

Currently part of the problem seems to be the dated platform PU uses.  I have had several people alert me to the problem of signing up or even resetting the passwords.  Let me see what I can do.

UPDATE:  I contacted admin directly.  We'll see what response I get.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its worse than that. There are 5 admins and none have logged on to site in months and some years according their last logged status. You can't contact them with PMs unless they log on and the site contact us link goes unanswered.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh Oh!  LOL  reminds me of the joke about a 747 load of passengers, half way across the Atlantic.  A voice come over the loud speaker that says "This is an computer controlled flight.  There is no crew.  Everything is done by computers.  Do not worry, though, as absolutely nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong..."
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am remiss in not complimenting OP on an exceptionally well done thread.
View Quote
Me too.  I have been a Mini fanboy since my first one I got in 1982 (a Bicentennial 180 series), and this is the single best Mini-14 thread I have ever seen.  It must have been a huge amount of work, and a labor of love!  Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing that irks me is how the Mini-14 is often subjected by their owners to ridiculous accessories that scream mall ninja.

Pin on muzzle brakes and pin on hiders.

Promag mags.

Anything made by Masen.

Barrel shrouds

Tapco

etc etc.

Leave it in its perfect form.  Its beautiful as is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One thing that irks me is how the Mini-14 is often subjected by their owners to ridiculous accessories that scream mall ninja.

Pin on muzzle brakes and pin on hiders.

Promag mags.

Anything made by Masen.

Barrel shrouds

Tapco

etc etc.

Leave it in its perfect form.  Its beautiful as is.
View Quote
LOL!  I tend to agree. I think it shines as an M1 Carbine with a hard on like mine.  Great HD/Ranch gun, and I can whack a softball sized target with iron sights at 100 yards every time.  I had a strut on it, but took it off.  It does increase accuracy on older minis, but for 100 yards and lees, it is irrelevant, AND it adds 9 ounces to the under 7 lb Mini.  I have a 1/7' twist, 20" AR15 with a 2x6 tactical and a PTR91 .308 G3 clone with a 4x10 Redfield Revenge for longer ranges.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Mini-14 GBs with folders are the Holy Grail of Mini-14 land, as for as I am concerned!  Nice mini!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mini-14 GBs with folders are the Holy Grail of Mini-14 land, as for as I am concerned!  Nice mini!
View Quote
No, I like my other one better. I wish it was SS. Its got this stupid switch on it that I never did figure out what it was for.

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish it was SS. Its got this stupid switch on it that I never did figure out what it was for.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2m6oj6f.png
View Quote
If you don't need one with a switch, I'll trade you a SS folder for yours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a question on Mini-14 GBs.

Two Mini-14 GB SS folders.

One is marked with the Restricted markings post 1994 and one is not from 1989.

All being equal otherwise, which is valued more?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is another question.

GB stands for GOVERNMENT BARREL.

OR

GB stands for GOVERNMENT BAYONET.

I will please ask for supporting Ruger documentation, otherwise its just opinion based on nothing provide by the manufacturer.

My opinion is Government Barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree!  I have used the Choate before things got weird in Commiefornia.  Now a flash hider on a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine is a felony, thus the 583 sight.  The John Masen Flash Hider or Brake combo are good also.  When I move to Oregon nextb year, I am threading the barrel of the 186 1/2x28 and installing a Ruger flash hider.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE FOR 181 SERIES:

CHOATE
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't buy the John Masen FH/bayonet lug front sight assembly.

I bought one from a reseller, brand new in his packaging that was defective. (misaligned bore)

Saw him at a gunshow and he denied it was his product.
View Quote
I bought a Masen from Guns and Surplus that was off.  Contacted them and they sent me a new one that was OK.  If you live in a free state, though you are better with the Choate with the flash hider.  You don't even have to use the pins.  A little red or green locktite and it will stay forever! I just sold an old Federal Ordnance Flash Hider/Baoynet lug/Front Sight unit I had.  It was nicer than the Masen.  I think Masen bought the molds when Fed Ord folded, then converted it to the brake style.  I would have hung on to it for Oregon, but I am threading my barrel 1/2x28 and using a faux-A2 FH that is actually a brake (Wilson Combat Comp), until I move to Oregon.  Then I will put on a Ruger factory 1/2x28 flash hider.

Federal Ordnance M14 style top, and John Masen Brake bottom.

Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Mini-14........

K.I.S.S.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I too like KISS.  Even on my ARs I don't do stuff.  A scope or red dot and BUIS.  That's about it.  Don't make your mini look like this!

The top one works as a flash hider.  I had used one on my LEO trunk weapon in a low light qualification, and it worked well.  I can confirm the bottom one does not work as a brake.  It's main utility is the M1/M16 style post and wing front sight (and bayonet lug if you are into blades). I actually considered chopping off the brake and bayonet lug, and just using the sight. Now that I discovered a 583 series .562" front sight fits the 186 series, I have no use for the bottom one.  I am going to turn down and thread the muzzle on the Mini and thread it 1/2x28, rather than the 9/16x24 I was planning on.  When COMMIEFORNIA, I will use a Wilson Combat Comp brake (faux A2 style), and when in free America, a Ruger 1/2x28 flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know if Thermolds made in 1989 are desirable to persons in restricted states?

I have a bunch of these brand new for the Mini-14 and thinking about getting rid of them.

I can't remember what states needed them clearly marked with a pre ban date.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I know thermolds were around prior to 2000, but not sure how far back they go.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Thermolds made in 1989 are desirable to persons in restricted states?

I have a bunch of these brand new for the Mini-14 and thinking about getting rid of them.

I can't remember what states needed them clearly marked with a pre ban date.
View Quote
Massachusetts can still take pre ban mags.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know thermolds were around prior to 2000, but not sure how far back they go.
View Quote
I know they made them pre-1994, but not sure how to tell which ones are which.

I had some pre-94, AR, Ruger and Inch pattern FAL/L1A1 I think I even have some of the 30/45 extended ones that were expensive back then. I have to check my stash - I haven't seen thm in a while - Since I moved and being a mag hoarder, I can't seem to find stuff as easy these days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
did anyone notice how reasonable SS black stocked Mini-GBs sell for?

They sell pretty cheap. Usually in the high $600 range.

Seems to me that if someone wanted to get a damn nice original GB model that this would be a great choice.

not mine. but its a nice setup. this way you get a factory GB and don't have to pimp out a standard mini.

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw that one.  Made me wish I had already moved to Oregon.  I am moving from Commiefornia to my house in Oregon (I have had it for 15 years, using it as a rental until this day came) in May.  I was going to make my first purchase a Mini-30 stainless Tactical, but may try to find a GB in the 1/7 twist barrel range,  Hot damn!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Excellent Thread OP. Thanks for posting.   The Mini 14 was my first 5.56 rifle. I sold it off and then got into AK's and AR's for awhile. Got the itch again a couple years ago. I always wanted a factory folder...scored a NIB 1987 prod.factory SS ranch folder 1-7 twist.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is a heads up on a pretty nice Mini-GB.

Low shipping and a BUY NOW price of $800.

ITS NOT MINE!

I would not wait and I would bet that you won't get it cheaper than the buy now price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792998062

I would buy it but I just bought one last month.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:. Here is a question on Mini-14 GBs.

Two Mini-14 GB SS folders.

One is marked with the Restricted markings post 1994 and one is not from 1989.

All being equal otherwise, which is valued more?
View Quote
I would think the pre-ban one, as it should be importable across the Massachusetts and Connecticut borders, but I really only track AR rules there, so not positive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here is a heads up on a pretty nice Mini-GB.

Low shipping and a BUY NOW price of $800.

ITS NOT MINE!

I would not wait and I would bet that you won't get it cheaper than the buy now price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792998062

I would buy it but I just bought one last month.
View Quote
And its gone. Sold.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I currently have a stainless ranch rifle in .222. It's a 188 series that I bought nib maybe twenty years ago now. Does anyone have any idea what the production numbers were on these? They come up for sale every now and then but I don't remember seeing very many of them over the years. I assume it was for export in .222 cal. Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Fantastic thread and history lesson OP...well done, thanks.

I really like the Mini-14. I grew up shooting one in the late 80's/early 90's, and own one (a newer 580 series).

I didn't know until I joined this forum that it was un-possible to like the AR  and the Mini at the same time
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Agreed!

I didn't know until I joined this forum that it was un-possible to like the AR  and the Mini at the same time
Right? lol

I like everything...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
To each their own, I say.  For me, the folders are not my thing as the stocks don't give a solid support when extended.  However, I've also no interest in a full auto anything.  I'm not saying that if you haven't fired something FA you shouldn't no, I'm saying that once you have they are really kind of boring as 'groups' with one at even close ranges will be measured in feet for most people.

I had my fill of bullet hoses in the service, having fired thousands of rds of 50cal from my TC Ma-Duce and even more from an M-60 MG.  After you 'get over' the thrill of the things, you realize that you're just spraying around bullets randomly and in a civilian setting it's just too expensive and too dangerous to play that way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I currently have a stainless ranch rifle in .222. It's a 188 series that I bought nib maybe twenty years ago now. Does anyone have any idea what the production numbers were on these? They come up for sale every now and then but I don't remember seeing very many of them over the years. I assume it was for export in .222 cal. Thanks in advance for any info.
View Quote
Mini-14s in .222 Remington were made for export to Mexico and other countries that prohibit military calibers.  I know some .222 caliber Minis made their way to Australia and New Zealand.  They are some of the scarcest Mini-14s out there.  .222 is not a bad round, giving about 3,000 fps with the 55 grain load, instead of the 223s 3250 fps.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mini-14s in .222 Remington were made for export to Mexico and other countries that prohibit military calibers.  I know some .222 caliber Minis made their way to Australia and New Zealand.  They are some of the scarcest Mini-14s out there.  .222 is not a bad round, giving about 3,000 fps with the 55 grain load, instead of the 223s 3250 fps.

The .223 Remington was based on the .222 Remington, as was Winchester's .224 Winchester round for their WLMR (Winchester Light Military Rifle) for DOD's SCHV (Small Caliber High Velocity) weapons trials in the late 1950s.  In Fact, the .223 was originally called the .222 Remington Special cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  Mini-14s in .222 Remington were made for export to Mexico and other countries that prohibit military calibers.  I know some .222 caliber Minis made their way to Australia and New Zealand.  They are some of the scarcest Mini-14s out there.  .222 is not a bad round, giving about 3,000 fps with the 55 grain load, instead of the 223s 3250 fps.
View Quote
The Italians and French civilian market probably also received those.  New Zealand now runs ordinary .223, I believe - a Chinese AR runs them about $1k NZ.

Now that have I have 4 pre-ban RamLine mags, I'm vaguely tempted by the old Mini-14s @ the shows - except for the fact that I can build ARs for $257, so...
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Triple Deuce! A ton of chucks have fallen to that round.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Great write up Miami JBT!  You are the go to guy for all things 80s & 90s!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I try to email Ruger once or twice a year to let them know we're still interested in a revamped GB and/or a good quality version of that old folding stock.  It could have a few minor changes like the ability to accept an M16 pistol grip instead of the Ruger one but no changes are really necessary.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I try to email Ruger once or twice a year to let them know we're still interested in a revamped GB and/or a good quality version of that old folding stock.  It could have a few minor changes like the ability to accept an M16 pistol grip instead of the Ruger one but no changes are really necessary.
View Quote
I want them to bring back the old style wooden stock without that rubber pad
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I’d sell mine
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I've only seen one .222 Ruger, and that was at a small gun show in 1993.  IIRC a buddy with an FFL bought it and flipped it right away.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that stock and the wooden handguard would be neat
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top