Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 10:59:25 AM EDT
I purchased a lightly used Ruger Scout in .308.  Gotta a bargain.

Then discovered the problem.  Gun shoots well but has frequent weak ejection.  About half the time the ejector does not successfully kick the round off the bolt face, and the round pushes the ejector out of the way into its groove.  Short stroking the bolt so the ejector gets a second chance will pop the round off the bolt face.

Initially I noticed a possible hairline crack in the extractor.  Replaced that.  Didn't help.  Replaced ejector and ejector spring.  Didn't fix it.

The ejector rides in its groove just fine. Everything looks okay.

Sometimes after a round is ejected, a noticeable scratch is left on the back of the rim, presumably by the ejector.

The bolt body and face look perfect with no noticeable wear or corrosion.  Sam with the receiver where the ejector mounts.

Adjust or polish the extractor maybe?  Somehow adjust ejector?

This rifle has full length rail and traditionally mounted Viper PST 2.5-10 and it's a very cool little rifle if I can figure out the ejection.

River has been cool about sending me all the little parts for free but I don't want to have to strip off my aftermarket stuff and mail in the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like too much extractor tension to me.

Is all this with one brand of brass? If so maybe do some measuring on case rim and see if you have anything in stock any thinner.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is all this with one brand of brass? If so maybe do some measuring on case rim and see if you have anything in stock any thinner.
View Quote
Multiple ammo types.  Some worse than others.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when you say "some worse than others" I assume you are talking about reliability to eject?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So when you say "some worse than others" I assume you are talking about reliability to eject?
View Quote
Yep.  it will barely eject some at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep.  it will barely eject some at all.
View Quote
I'm saying change the extractor. They went from an investment cast to an MIM ejector some years back and this is probably why.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm saying change the extractor. They went from an investment cast to an MIM ejector some years back and this is probably why.
View Quote
I already swapped it out.  New one is still bad.  I've heard advice to mildly polish the contact points of the extractor claw, even though there are no rough spots or burs now.

Was the Gunsite Scout always MIM parts?  I think so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I already swapped it out.  New one is still bad.  I've heard advice to mildly polish the contact points of the extractor claw, even though there are no rough spots or burs now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not certain, maybe so, I thought they changed along the way but that may have been before the GSR.

You're running out of things to change, I don't know if you can get a measurement for stand off from the bolt face to the claw of the extractor? Is the bolt face extra rough?

There are a very limited number of things that can be wrong.
Extractor
Ejector
Bolt face
Brass
Operator :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Tight chamber? I know you don't want to, but I would have Ruger take it in and fix it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tight chamber? I know you don't want to, but I would have Ruger take it in and fix it.
View Quote
It extracts okay.  Just half-hearted ejection.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It extracts okay.  Just half-hearted ejection.
View Quote
I didn't see if you'd addressed this before, but is this with a firm pull rearward on the bolt? I.e. is the bolt retraction speed at all being varied?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I didn't see if you'd addressed this before, but is this with a firm pull rearward on the bolt? I.e. is the bolt retraction speed at all being varied?
View Quote
Yeah, I know how to operate a bolt action rifle.

When you pull the bolt to the rear the extractor doesn't consistently push the case off the bolt face before being drawn down into it's groove in the bolt body, at any bolt speed.  I've tried all different ways of working the bolt.  Doesn't really matter though, it should eject the round if you work it hard like a WWI infantryman at the Somme or if you baby it like a range geezer that wants to drop the case gently in his hand.  It is in essence a 98 Mauser action, should work like one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When you pull the bolt to the rear the extractor doesn't consistently push the case off the bolt face before being drawn down into it's groove in the bolt body, at any bolt speed.  I've tried all different ways of working the bolt.  Doesn't really matter though, it should eject the round if you work it hard like a WWI infantryman at the Somme or if you baby it like a range geezer that wants to drop the case gently in his hand.  It is in essence a 98 Mauser action, should work like one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apologies, I didn't intend to suggest that you didn't know what you're doing with the rifle. More intending to ask if you'd played with that variable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve owned several, and never encountered any issues, except that when cycling hard it throws them so far that I lose the brass. If you call Ruger, they will likely just ask you to send it in to them for inspection. Is it possible the previous owner modified anything on the bolt? Just a thought. I know many people do polish things, and in the right regions, this can slick things up a great deal. But anytime you are polishing, you are removing metal, so I would make sure that the issue isn’t related from a lack of metal to begin with. You might try several different ammo brands and see if it could be a matter of the rim thickness or diameter being a bit off, or also just an uneducated guess; perhaps it might have been modified to function with a certain brass setup, instead of off of the shelf stuff. I have always had good experiences with Ruger CS, though that would be a bit of a hassle for you.

Generally speaking, many GSR enthusiasts recommend cycling it like you’re mad at it, meaning full and deliberate cycling with a bit of authority.....However, you shouldn’t be having those problems regardless. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

PC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top