Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 7:32:32 AM EDT
Ruger has just announced a new version of their budget based AR-556. This new version (called the MPR) appears to be quite a departure from the earlier offering.

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/models.html

A few noteworthy points. Ruger is using an 18in 1X8 twist barrel with 5R rifling. The gas system is rifle length with a low pro gas block. Ruger appears to be following the industry with MLOK.

Questions I have so far. Is the bolt carrier fully shrouded or does it have the "Colt" cut? What barrel nut is used in case a shooter wants to change out the forend for something else? And how is the gas block attached in case the barrel nut needs to be changed? Why 4140 barrel steel rather than 4150?

Anyway, the new model should compete fairly well with the Springfield Saint and some other AR's that are not quite entry level.

We'll see how it goes...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
4140 Steel barrel with no chrome lining or nitride finish?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4140 Steel barrel with no chrome lining or nitride finish?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
interesting.... Maybe they heard all the good press the Savage MSR Recon is getting and want to hop onto the 5R bandwagon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Msrp at $899 not bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Msrp at $899 not bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Msrp at $899 not bad.
my local retailers show it as MSRP $799 and internet order price to me of $649  18" 5R CHF nitrided barrel with RLGS, a two-stage trigger, a 15" free-floated M-Lok handguard, that's a helluva deal!

ETA: These are good questions below, but even if they are proprietary non-standard parts that make it a pain to modify, it's a great price-point for the non-hobbyist who doesn't intend to disassemble/rebuild it.

Questions I have so far. Is the bolt carrier fully shrouded or does it have the "Colt" cut? What barrel nut is used in case a shooter wants to change out the forend for something else? And how is the gas block attached in case the barrel nut needs to be changed? Why 4140 barrel steel rather than 4150?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If it can really be had for $650 That's a pretty good darn good deal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#9]
A: Springfield is dead to me after the carve out

B: I can get a mil-spec AR + an American made AK with matching serial numbers for less from PSA based on the MSRP.

C: How many ways can you make a mil-spec rifle better than the other mil-spec rifles and still be mil-spec?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

B: I can get a mil-spec AR + an American made AK with matching serial numbers for less from PSA based on the MSRP.

C: How many ways can you make a mil-spec rifle better than the other mil-spec rifles and still be mil-spec?
View Quote

A: It's Ruger, not Springfield Armory.

B: Would anyone really WANT an AR and AK combo for less than $800?  That's risking some bottom-of-the-barrel parts right there.

C: The only thing claimed to be mil-spec is the buffer tube.  BTW, mil-spec does not always mean "Best."
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Says nothing about the bore being nitrided. Lots of barrels are treated with nitride on the exterior for corrosion resistance. It may well be. Either way, it's a budget barrel built on 4140.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Says nothing about the bore being nitrided. Lots of barrels are treated with nitride on the exterior for corrosion resistance. It may well be. Either way, it's a budget barrel built on 4140.
View Quote
That is false.  The process coats the entire barrel, both inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I emailed them to ask.  I will post once I get a response.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I especially like the gigantic holes in the handguard for keeping your fingers warm.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, you know for a fact the Ruger MPR bore is nitrided? Source?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I emailed Ruger this morning to ask if the bore was nitrided too, or just the exterior.  Here is their response.  Note that Model 8514 is the Ruger AR-556 we have been discussing in this thread.

We have received your inquiry. The entire barrel on the model 8514 is nitrided.

Thank you for your interest in Ruger Firearms.

Ruger Customer Service
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I emailed Ruger this morning to ask if the bore was nitrided too, or just the exterior.  Here is their response.  Note that Model 8514 is the Ruger AR-556 we have been discussing in this thread.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitriding is done in a bath, the only possible way to get a non-nitrided bore would be to drill and rifle the bore after nitriding the outside. I'm not aware of anyone that does that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nitriding is done in a bath, the only possible way to get a non-nitrided bore would be to drill and rifle the bore after nitriding the outside. I'm not aware of anyone that does that.
View Quote
This.  It is starting to get irritating see the "non-nitrided bore" thing pop up in almost every forum here.  It's a ridiculous speculation.

Of course Ruger comes out with this right as I'm finishing the touches on my PSA cheap beater rifle  
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Do we know yet if the carrier is shrouded? I think Ruger is the only one left using the "Colt cut" carrier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do we know yet if the carrier is shrouded? I think Ruger is the only one left using the "Colt cut" carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
cant tell from that picture with 100% certainty.  I think an email is in order.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Ruger does a good job of bringing guns to market that address specific niche markets, and do so at a fair price.

I have more AR than I can ever use now, so I won't be buying one of these (or any other AR for that matter) but kudos to Ruger for listening to the market.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I especially like the gigantic holes in the handguard for keeping your fingers warm.

View Quote
I just noticed that it is not MLok on the bottom 45-degree sides. WTH? How you supposed to keep the heat off your hands, Ruger?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Mil spec?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mil spec?
View Quote
thats not always a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mil spec?
View Quote
mil-spec does not mean "best."  It just means it matches the requirements of the M4's technical data package (or whatever TDP stands for).  The private sector has developed many improvements to the M16 and M4 families.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a great rifle to start 3gun with.  Add your favorite optic, MBUS, and go to town.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
A) derp

B) do you even know what 5R rifling is? The price they offer this at is a steal with what it offers

C) see above

If I didn't win a LaRue barrel recently, this would have definately been on my radar. We are truly living in salad days
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A) derp

B) do you even know what 5R rifling is? The price they offer this at is a steal with what it offers

C) see above

If I didn't win a LaRue barrel recently, this would have definately been on my radar. We are truly living in salad days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) derp

C) see above

D) PSA AKs are trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top