Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2017 9:34:45 AM EDT
I have a line on 2 Mini's;

One 183-series SS Mini and One 184 Blued Mini. NOT Ranch rifles, but the Mini's with the original iron sights.

I called Ruger and was told they only offer "Limited Service" on these. Significantly they do not offer any barrel servicing. I forgot to ask but I don't think they service the rear sight, either.

Both are 1/10 twist barrels.

Here's the question:

Do you guys know the details of what parts DO interchange with current models?

Is there any inherent flaw with the two series' parts, specs? I am already in full knowledge of the potential accuracy issues. For what I want these for, 4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 meters +- is fine. But though they are in essentially new-in-box condition, I will be able to shoot them first before buying. So I'll know if they are real lemons.

I want the old sights so that is not an issue unless the sights themselves possess some inherent flaw in adjustment or something like that.

Anything you know about these old rifles would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I remember reading on here, the rear sight on some of the older models adjusts in 1.5 MOA increments, leading to myths of wandering zero.  Barrels still whip, so an accu strut is good. Otherwise, everything other than maybe the gas block and barrel itself ought to interchange.

Old style rifles might be problematic to mount a sling, if you do that.  I sling up every long rifle, even my .22's, so that mattered to me.

Otherwise, see which one you like, buy all the factory brand hi caps you could want, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Where to start.  

The older Mini's are extremely reliable if they are lubed well and shoot good ammo.  The 1/10 twist is a little hard to find accurate ammo with but they shoot 50 and 52 grain ammo better than 55 or heavier ammo.  An Accu Strut does wonders. When you offer a price, factor in buying the struts. The rear sights are steady but sometimes you cannot get them low enough or high enough to hit center.  They tend to either shoot too high or too low.  The rear blade has a hole in it that could be too high or too low.  The only way to know is look at the hole position.  They mostly have the hole close to the bottom of the blade which will cause the sight to wobble when you move it to the top of it's travel.  There is a new sight out called the Tech Sight and it does not have the issues and seems to be pretty well made and dependable.  Bedding the stocks helps with accuracy.

For more information go to Perfect union.com.  We talk about this stuff every day.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tech-Sights has a replacement if you are so inclined.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/accessories_img/adjustable_rear_features.gif
View Quote
I highly recommend this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I highly recommend this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tech-Sights has a replacement if you are so inclined.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/accessories_img/adjustable_rear_features.gif
I highly recommend this.
It does look like a good, solid, design.

I've been playing with a couple old Minis and I actually like the OEM sights, too.  They are not conducive to rapid hand adjustment but for zeroing they are just fine.  

You guys are real trouble.

I'm starting to like these things...

Here's a quick test I ran with them.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/AR15-vs-Mini-14-Iron-Sight-Duel-/118-717688/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top