Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 11:11:14 PM EDT
Have the mini a new look today..

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta say I like the overall look and accessories, but I think I would have gone for the two-tone green tigerstripe paint job like that which comes on the Charter Arms 38 snubbie

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0874/7670/products/13825_2048x2048.jpg?v=1433312865.

Aside from that I like the rifle as set up. What did you use for the top handguard/mount. Last time I did something like this I used the Ultimak Ruger mount.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. Are they still 4 MOA rifles?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
my old one would do 2-3 all day with wolf.  Better then my AKs
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job OP.  I like the setup you've got there.  Consider joining PerfectUnion.com and share your experiences with us in the Mini forum.

Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, they are much better than that.  Yes, the original pencil barreled Mini-14s weren't that good, but Ruger upgraded the design and added thicker barrels back around 2005 and the newer 58X series (as well as all of the Mini-30s) have the more accurate designs.  With a bit of tuning and the use of decent ammo (the single most important improvement), sub-moa Mini-30s are very doable.  Perfect Union's forum on Mini-14 and Mini-30s has all the info you need to tweak them into solid performers.

The Mini shares an action heritage with the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M14 (M1A).  While their action design isn't as inherently accurate as the AR's design, both the M1 Garand and M14 (M1A) enjoyed long stints as excellent CMP competition rifles.  Yes, the 5.56 chambered ARs now dominate but that is in large part a function of the better accuracy potential of the round as well as the base action design.  The Minis can be made to shoot as respectably as most rifles today with just a bit of love.

I have a newer, thicker barreled, 583 Series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and much like the thick barreled Mini-30s, after a bit of tuning, mine shoots close to moa (1½" at 100yds) with irons and my handloads.  No, shooting junk commie ammo it won't group worth a darn but neither will any other rifle.

The fact is, it shoots as well with irons as my RRA mid-length AR.  While I've had ARs for about a dozen years, I actually prefer the Mini's ergonomics as they aren't as bulky as the ARs.  I use both my AR and my Mini to shoot bowling pins.  It's a dead heat accuracy wise.  However, I prefer shooting the Mini as it feels more comfortable.  I like shooting it much like my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A, so it feels familure even though I've owned my ARs longer and shot them thousands of rds more.  My Mini is a blast to use on bowling pins and at 200 yds it's pretty easy to knock them down while at 300 yds it's much more of a challenge but it's still doable. 

Try that with your irons only ARs and you'll see that it says a lot about their accuracy.  In truth, most ARs won't do sub-moa groups either without a bunch of work and a lot of upgrading.  My other AR, a RRA A4 set up for 400+ yd apple shooting is sub-moa but that's with a 12x scope and a bunch of tuning in addition to my special 68grn long range handloads for it.  I know that many AR shooters look down their noses at Minis, however, that's due to ignorance, not real world, first hand experience. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, the scout rail is actually from Omega arms out of Texas. It's a billet milled mount that's rock solid. It was a bit expensive but well worth it. I like my stuff set up but yet clean and functional as well. This one fits right in with the others.

When I did have a scope on it for deer hunting I was getting around 2" MOA with silver bear SP ammo. Other than that it's had a dot on it for its whole life.  Maybe I'll do an accuracy test for ya. I got lucky and mine eats anything I feed it. Once in a great whole Wolf will give me a light primer strike but other than that it's great. It's hard to decide if I want to reload for it since ammo is so cheap. Only thing I'd gain is quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, the scout rail is actually from Omega arms out of Texas. It's a billet milled mount that's rock solid. It was a bit expensive but well worth it. I like my stuff set up but yet clean and functional as well. This one fits right in with the others.

When I did have a scope on it for deer hunting I was getting around 2" MOA with silver bear SP ammo. Other than that it's had a dot on it for its whole life.  Maybe I'll do an accuracy test for ya. I got lucky and mine eats anything I feed it. Once in a great whole Wolf will give me a light primer strike but other than that it's great. It's hard to decide if I want to reload for it since ammo is so cheap. Only thing I'd gain is quality.
View Quote
What did the rail set you back?  I like what you've done with your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Rail was $140 shipped..
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, the scout rail is actually from Omega arms out of Texas.
View Quote
I believe that it is actually Amega Mounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top