User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 6:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By airgunner:
@waddlingweezol
The gas port on mine is .057" but it will only run suppressed. Unsuppressed it will not cycle (even with a standard 3oz buffer) which Sionics fully warns about with this barrel. If I had to guess, if you want to run suppressed and unsuppressed you would probably need to be in the low .060's range (like ~.063 maybe)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:
Did you ever get a measurement on the gas port size? I saw you said smaller than 0.060, but wanted to see if you knew the exact size. I have a 12.5 ERGP barrel waiting to be built up, but my smallest pin gauge was 0.073 which obviously was too small. I'll probably make this one a dedicated suppressed set up with my DA Sierra 5 since that can was crazy gassy.
I wonder what the gas port size is on the 12.5 standard gas port barrel.
@waddlingweezol
The gas port on mine is .057" but it will only run suppressed. Unsuppressed it will not cycle (even with a standard 3oz buffer) which Sionics fully warns about with this barrel. If I had to guess, if you want to run suppressed and unsuppressed you would probably need to be in the low .060's range (like ~.063 maybe)?

I'm running a .0615 gas port equivalent BRT tube on my 12.5" Geissele barrel. The whole upper is Geissele and it's got a Super 42 w/H2 buffer. It runs great suppressed (a touch gassy, Turbo K), and still runs unsuppressed with my 5.56 reloads (tested down to low 30's for temps).

ETA: I did not have to reduce buffer weight when testing unsuppressed as I mentioned probably having to do earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freedom_Lover] [#2]
Originally Posted By acrocat:
I love my 12.5. I have a Colt M4A1 upper cut down to 12.5".
View Quote

@acrocat

Do you have any pictures of this?  I'm considering the same thing and am interested in seeing how the m203 step works out with the 12.5 muzzle.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Freedom_Lover:

Do you have any pictures of this?  I'm considering the same thing and am interested in seeing how the m203 step works out with the 12.5 muzzle.  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By acrocat:
I love my 12.5. I have a Colt M4A1 upper cut down to 12.5".

Thanks

Just because I am currently researching/considering the same at the moment:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.  What's the lower barrel?  It doesn't seem to have the same step cut.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.  What's the lower barrel?  It doesn't seem to have the same step cut.
View Quote

It wasn't mentioned by the OP. Definitely not a proper M4 barrel profile. I know that Rosco and few others offer an "M4" barrel in that profile, correct or not.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acrocat] [#6]

@acrocat

Thanks
View Quote

I can post a picture if needed but the top picture that @TGWLDR posted is pretty much how the step looks. It should work great with a 9" M203 if that is what you are thinking. People have posted pictures of 9" M203 classic receivers with 12.5" barrels here before so it definitely works. FWIW, I went with a .068 gas port and my barrel is a Colt Socom profile barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Start wearing eye protection, which you should be doing anyway with a suppressor, and you won't even notice the gas.  Once you're not worried about the gas, build whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Vapor_Man:
Start wearing eye protection, which you should be doing anyway with a suppressor, and you won't even notice the gas.  Once you're not worried about the gas, build whatever you want.
View Quote

LOL - sorry but that's not how that works. Have you ever shot a suppressed gun? I have a hard time believing you have based on that comment
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
How about a PWS 11.85" piston upper in .223 Wylde? A substantial improvement to the GTF concern. They're pretty smooth.

Keith
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
My 12.5 Gordy and 14.5 Toob build share an SBR lower and can. The 14.5 is slightly more pleasant but it’s a pretty minimal difference. Both sound great with AEM5/Ops cans. My vote would be 12.5.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
@waddlingweezol

@Joedirt199 - Do you only run suppressed? Based on my experience with mine, I can't see yours running unsupressed regardless of buffer?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:
Did you ever get a measurement on the gas port size? I saw you said smaller than 0.060, but wanted to see if you knew the exact size. I have a 12.5 ERGP barrel waiting to be built up, but my smallest pin gauge was 0.073 which obviously was too small. I'll probably make this one a dedicated suppressed set up with my DA Sierra 5 since that can was crazy gassy.

I wonder what the gas port size is on the 12.5 standard gas port barrel.
@waddlingweezol

Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
I cut down a 14.5" midlength gas BCM barrel to 12.5" and run a Turbo3 direct mounted. I also choke down the gas by using vented set screws in all my gasblocks and front sight bases. The vented set screws come with a .049 vent hole but this one is opened to .055. I then tune the buffer and spring for lock back. Some have H buffers and some have buffers with an aluminum weight replaced for a steel weight. They shoot smooth and have next to no gas in your face.
@Joedirt199 - Do you only run suppressed? Based on my experience with mine, I can't see yours running unsupressed regardless of buffer?

Sionics wouldn't tell me their ERGP size.  Triarc Systems Suppressed only barrels are .052" - .055" from what I've seen.  Sionics looks close.  I also see they have a suppressed only option on their product page.  The ERGP option as .057" looks good.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top