Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 11:57:52 PM EDT
So right now I have a 10.5 pistol that got for free. I also have a Gemtech Trek I got for $269. The only reason I mention this is for perspective. I don’t have a lot of money into this if it goes wrong.

So the question. If I get the Trek “permanently attached” (welded I guess?) to my barrel, and it’s over 16 inches, I technical don’t have a SBR and can put a stock on it and a vfg, right?

The only thing That would a tad more of a pain in the ass is if I had a baffle strike, right?

Would ADCO be the place to do this?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You're correct

Search 1100* silver solder
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If the OAL is also over 26", you've got a pistol legally configured as a rifle, and it can have a stock so long as barrel is >16" and OAL is >26".

Can also go back to pistol at any time by removing the stock, then changing out barrels or lowering OAL.

Can have a VFG when it's in rifle configuration, or if it's still OAL >26" with no AOW stamp, too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I would verify that you end up with a true 16+" before perm attaching it. according to silencer shops measurement it states it's 5.7" long + 10.5"=16.2" but this doesn't include the overlap from the threads so I think you'll come up short unless the posted measurments are inaccurate.

you could verify this by screwing it on, putting the bolt into battery and use a cleaning rod/wood dowel down the suppressor and barrel until it rests against the bolt face, put a mark/piece of tape on the rod/dowel at the end of the suppressor remove and measure to the mark and if your under 16 then it's a no go and you'll need to sell or trade the barrel and get a 11.5" barrel.

as far as having adco doing it i'm not sure if they have a 06/07 SOT. on top of that you would probably have to form 3 the suppressor to and from vendor to vendor. i'd look and see if you have a local 06/07 and have them do it or you'll have to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same situation with an old inexpensive thread on can I never used and a 10.5" upper.  I ended up going to a local smith that pin/welded them together and I've been very happy with the setup.  I find myself shooting it more often and both were just gathering dust before I had it done.  If it is your only can I wouldn't recommend it since you can now just shoulder a pistol brace but if you're like me and have other options for a suppressor, it may be a good way to go.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would verify that you end up with a true 16+" before perm attaching it. according to silencer shops measurement it states it's 5.7" long + 10.5"=16.2" but this doesn't include the overlap from the threads so I think you'll come up short unless the posted measurments are inaccurate.

you could verify this by screwing it on, putting the bolt into battery and use a cleaning rod/wood dowel down the suppressor and barrel until it rests against the bolt face, put a mark/piece of tape on the rod/dowel at the end of the suppressor remove and measure to the mark and if your under 16 then it's a no go and you'll need to sell or trade the barrel and get a 11.5" barrel.

as far as having adco doing it i'm not sure if they have a 06/07 SOT. on top of that you would probably have to form 3 the suppressor to and from vendor to vendor. i'd look and see if you have a local 06/07 and have them do it or you'll have to do it yourself.
View Quote
Thank you for all of this info and please forgive my ignorance but I thought as long as it’s over 16 inches I’m good to go. The only stamp needed is my suppressor stamp.

And why would I need to do all if that other stuff?  Can’t I just have a shop do a pin and weld like the guy below your post?

Again, thank you. Maybe I’m miss understanding something.

Edit:

Oooooohhhhhh. I see. Screwing the can on will eat up the threads which might bring it below 16 inches....that’s what you’re saying, correct?  Hmmmmm I didn’t think of that. I wonder if there is a way to deal with that by the place I have do the pin and weld. Shit. It’s always something. I can’t just have something that works.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had the same situation with an old inexpensive thread on can I never used and a 10.5" upper.  I ended up going to a local smith that pin/welded them together and I've been very happy with the setup.  I find myself shooting it more often and both were just gathering dust before I had it done.  If it is your only can I wouldn't recommend it since you can now just shoulder a pistol brace but if you're like me and have other options for a suppressor, it may be a good way to go.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2v0n1a9.jpg
View Quote
This is exactly what o want to do but it seems 16.2 is a no go according to the post above yours?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
ADCO could put on a thread extension if you inquired about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Edit:

Oooooohhhhhh. I see. Screwing the can on will eat up the threads which might bring it below 16 inches....that’s what you’re saying, correct?  Hmmmmm I didn’t think of that. I wonder if there is a way to deal with that by the place I have do the pin and weld. Shit. It’s always something. I can’t just have something that works.
View Quote
correct as long as your above 16" threaded your good to go. most say 16.1" to be on the safe side.

I know adco and possibly a few others make ~.250" spacers for those who want to run 14.5" barrels with a standard a2 length flash hiders.

I wouldn't go much further than a .250" spacer as you won't be leaving alot of thread to bite onto and you also want to make sure the spacer is perfectly flat as if the shoulder you tighten against isn't flat it will cant your suppressor and a baffle strike could happen.

I would screw it on and measure to see where your at. if you come up as short as I think you'll be (i'm guessing you'll be about .4" short) then the only real options you have in my opinion are

1. a barrel extension (which would also have to be welded on)

2. have the suppressor modifed to take a muzzle device like say a griffin taper mount

3. the cheapest route in my opinion would be to trade/sell the 10.5" and get a 11.5" barrel then have it pin/welded.

all of the other stuff I listed is just the way it is because of the NFA. suppressors are a regulated item so you can't just toss it in a box and mail away unfortunately. any time a NFA item is to be handled by anyone other than the transferee (you) it has to be sent from a class 3 dealer via form 3 to another class 3 dealer. it's just the law.

and if the suppressor has to be modified to be pinned/welded it also has to be done by an authorized 06/07 SOT, now I think if you were to have it silver soldered on you could possibly have it done while the item is still in your possession ie. have it done while your present. but I'd read the laws closer and just don't publicize it the world.

The ATF just makes things of these matter's a pain in the ass as you have to almost be a lawyer to keep yourself out of trouble. Ignorance isn't acceptable in their eyes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top