Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 8:26:15 PM EDT
Hits to 400 with irons, but I'm getting old.

I've seen guys with red dots, 1.5x ACOGS and 1-4x.

Help a brother decide.

Gracias.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my pst 1-4. 11.5" BA barrel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just love a light weight setup so it's hard for me to justify a 1x4 or other magnified optic.  I'd also check out the ta33.  Great eye relief and 3x.  Lightweight and trijicon rugged.  A bit more $$, but they are cool.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
4x ACOG
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no single greater optic combo than a TA33G-H on a Larue LT-105. Along with a Butler Creek front cap, that combo comes in at 9.75 ounces. For comparison, an Aimpoint T1, LT-660 mount, and Tango Down cover weighs 6.40 ounces.

The TA33 has excellent eye relief, crystal clear glass, unbeatable weight, durability, and reticle options. It handles the way a 1-4x optic never can due to the weight and eye relief. Cost is the only negative.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If your going out to 400. Acog x4 seems to make the most sense.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4x ACOG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
4x ACOG
Got one. Haven't tried on on yet. I can't make the BAC work well. Not well enough for a SBR anyway

Quoted:
If your going out to 400. Acog x4 seems to make the most sense.
Have one on 14.5 middy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't recommend a 1.5 ACOG.  Have one.  Didn't like it.  Not enough magnification to be useful but just enough to be annoying.  The LPVs are heavy but ask yourself, honestly, what is the purpose of the rifle?

Maybe Aimpoint with 3X magnifier.  I have never used one, but it seems popular.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I won't recommend a 1.5 ACOG.  Have one.  Didn't like it.  Not enough magnification to be useful but just enough to be annoying.  The LPVs are heavy but ask yourself, honestly, what is the purpose of the rifle?

Maybe Aimpoint with 3X magnifier.  I have never used one, but it seems popular.
View Quote
That's disappointing to hear about 1.5x ACOGs. Having used Aimpoints / Eotechs with a 3x magnifier, I absolutely hate them. The sight picture and eye box are terrible, and if you flip the magnifier to the side the balance sucks. It's also a heavy combination. I think most people buy that setup without trying it first.

For me, ACOG > Variable scope / red dot depending on distance > Iron sights > separate magnifier and red dot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Leupold Ultralite 2.5 power scope with 5 inch eye relief. Mine has the heavy reticle with both 3" moa cross hairs and 9" moa cross hairs stepped up outside the center. I've never used it past 200 yards myself but at that range it works great on IPSIC head and torso targets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is no single greater optic combo than a TA33G-H on a Larue LT-105. Along with a Butler Creek front cap, that combo comes in at 9.75 ounces. For comparison, an Aimpoint T1, LT-660 mount, and Tango Down cover weighs 6.40 ounces.

The TA33 has excellent eye relief, crystal clear glass, unbeatable weight, durability, and reticle options. It handles the way a 1-4x optic never can due to the weight and eye relief. Cost is the only negative.

https://i.imgur.com/xRzj2pr.jpg
View Quote
Great set up!  Hard to beat the ruggedness and simplicity of a quality fixed power scope and 2x to 3x is perfect for 10-15 yards to 400 yards.  I've found that there isn't much you can't effectively point shoot inside of 10 to 15 yards anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a big fan of 1-4s for 14.5" guns.

I thought about doing a mini-recce 11.5 with a 1-4 but plans have since changed.

I run dots on my SBRs for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top