Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2017 12:39:47 PM EDT
Is there a deadline on when engraving must be done after receipt of the tax stamp?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the law only says that the maker must do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Before you assemble it. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to engrave it first. That way if it gets lost, broken, or otherwise buggered during engraving, you haven't lost more than you already have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better to engrave it first. That way if it gets lost, broken, or otherwise buggered during engraving, you haven't lost more than you already have.
View Quote
Agreed.  Especially when talking about AR's.

If an engraver messed up a lower, I might ask him to reimburse me 50 bucks for a new one, and I would buy a new lower, and go somewhere else to get the engraving redone.  Then, when I am happy with the engraving, I'll apply for the stamp.

(You could actually request a refund of a tax stamp, but you would then restart the process, and it would take another 9 months or more for the new application.  Nobody wants to do that.  

If we were talking about a PS-90, or another gun, I don't think anybody is going to get rid of a 1,000+ gun because of a mistake, so you probably have to make the best of it, and I don't think timing on the engraving is as important.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before you assemble it. 
View Quote
This.

The lower doesn't become an SBR until it's in a complete SBR configuration (stock and short barrel upper attached).

When the build is first completed in this configuration, it must have the required engravings present.

You can do this assembly at any time after the stamp comes back, no time limit or anything.

You can do the engraving any time before final assembly, or even before the stamp comes back, as there's no law saying you can't add custom engravings to your title 1 firearms.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
A nano-second before you assemble it and ten nano-seconds after you have the stamp.  If not the BATFE secret NSA backed squad of hit men will drop a jdam on your dags.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a deadline on when engraving must be done after receipt of the tax stamp?
View Quote

For a MFG, it must be engraved before it leaves the MFG area. I imagine a similar rule would apply for Makers if asked. Thus it has nothing to do with when you get tax stamp, but when you make it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
ATF allows a manufacturer seven days to mark, so, although not official, it could probably be assumed that an individual maker of an NFA firearm would have seven days to mark after the firearm was made.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I waited until my Form 1's came back approved to get the engraving.  Accubeam is local to me, so I drove to their shop and dropped off my lower and upper (a Sig556) after NFA approval of my Form 1's.  I only assembled the upper to the lower after Form 1's were approved and in hand (paper copy of the electronic original) and the engraving was done.  The mystical NFA approval process made me want to wait to engrave, just in case I got frustrated with a disapproval and requested a cancellation of that Form 1.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The mystical NFA approval process made me want to wait to engrave, just in case I got frustrated with a disapproval and requested a cancellation of that Form 1.
View Quote
There wouldn't be any legal ramifications if you had it engraved and subsequently cancelled the Form 1, would there? The only downside is having a less marketable lower, and maybe not much less if the engraving is in a very discreet location.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There wouldn't be any legal ramifications if you had it engraved and subsequently cancelled the Form 1, would there?.
View Quote
No, having those engravings added to a title 1 firearm is no problem.  Just as you said, it would hurt re-sale value.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, having those engravings added to a title 1 firearm is no problem.  Just as you said, it would hurt re-sale value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There wouldn't be any legal ramifications if you had it engraved and subsequently cancelled the Form 1, would there?.
Correct. That's why I waited on the engraving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top