Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2011 9:13:53 AM EDT
If someone is unsure of the barrel length they plan on using initially, what should someone put on the form?  I am unsure of my setup will ultimately be but I would like to start the paperwork process.  I am in the middle of waiting on someone to get back to me on a Colt 11.5 but not sure if he wants to get rid of it.

Has anyone ever gotten approved if they put down all the possible SBR length's?
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot be vague on the Form 1. You cannot build a SBE in a range of calibers or barrel lengths, just one. Choose the single barrel length and caliber you plan to use to construct the SBR and send it in.

You could potentially waste weeks or even months by being vague, confusing or imprecise. They will send the forms back when they notice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Put one length down. You can change the length whenever you feel like when you get your sbr completed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks.  Ill just make a decision on what I'm going to use and go with it. thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
When filling out for the OAL of the gun, write in 19" more than your barrel length. For instance a 10.5" is 29.5" OAL.  If you write that in and purchase an 11.5 just write the NFA and tell them the original configuration has changed on the F1.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I am slightly confused.  I thought the OAL of an SBR was under 26"?
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  A "short barreled rifle" has a barrel of less than 16" OR an OAL of less than 26".  It does not have to be both (though it can).  If it is either less than 26" OAL or has a barrel less than 16", it is legally a SBR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You measure the OAL with the stock fully extended

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok.  Thanks for explaining.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, not to hijack, but I also need the clarification.

My Form 1 was filled out for a 10.5" barrel; now that the rifle is built I am unhappy with the barrel and would like to switch to a 10" barrel.  All I have to do is write the ATF and tell them my barrel and OAL have changed?

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My Form 1 was filled out for a 10.5" barrel; now that the rifle is built I am unhappy with the barrel and would like to switch to a 10" barrel.  All I have to do is write the ATF and tell them my barrel and OAL have changed?

i guess i know nothing
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you are correct, just make sure you don't get rid of the 10.5 until you have sent the letter of change in and they have received.

Absolutely incorrect! I keep seeing this answer posted and it's 100% baseless.

Once your SBR is built, you are free to change barrel lengths at will with no further ATF notification. You do not need to keep the original configuration either. Sell it, trade it, give it away if you want. Just enjoy the unobstructed use of your rifle...
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Form 1 was filled out for a 10.5" barrel; now that the rifle is built I am unhappy with the barrel and would like to switch to a 10" barrel. All I have to do is write the ATF and tell them my barrel and OAL have changed?

Yes you are correct, just make sure you don't get rid of the 10.5 until you have sent the letter of change in and they have received.

Absolutely incorrect! I keep seeing this answer posted and it's 100% baseless.

Once your SBR is built, you are free to change barrel lengths at will with no further ATF notification. You do not need to keep the original configuration either. Sell it, trade it, give it away if you want. Just enjoy the unobstructed use of your rifle...

No idea where Bigmiker21 got his info but it's flat out wrong.

Homeinvader is correct.  Get yer stamp and enjoy my friend!

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I might be wrong, but I dont think I would worry about a .5" on my barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the 19" more then whatever barrel length I use work with every stock configuration?  For instance, I am planning on installing a Magpul CTR with an 11.5 Colt upper receiver. If i was to install a LMT Sopmod would I plan on writing in the same OAL in the form?  

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Can the caliber change? Like say file it as a 5.56 then build a 9mm upper down the road? are you only allowed to posses ONE SBR upper at a time?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the 19" more then whatever barrel length I use work with every stock configuration?  For instance, I am planning on installing a Magpul CTR with an 11.5 Colt upper receiver. If i was to install a LMT Sopmod would I plan on writing in the same OAL in the form?  

A CTR and SOPMOD are so similarly dimensioned that it's really a moot point regarding OALs. I've put a Vltor Modstock on my previously equipped SOPMOD lower to effectively reduce the collapsed OAL by 1" and it is completely legal to do so.  Even when a pre86 M16 is transferred with an A2 stock you can switch it to a collapsible and the OAL will change and there's nothing illegal about it.

A simple rule of thumb of barrel length + 19" would be a good starting point for any AR SBR with a collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A CTR and SOPMOD are so similarly dimensioned that it's really a moot point regarding OALs. I've put a Vltor Modstock on my previously equipped SOPMOD lower to effectively reduce the collapsed OAL by 1" and it is completely legal to do so.  Even when a pre86 M16 is transferred with an A2 stock you can switch it to a collapsible and the OAL will change and there's nothing illegal about it.

A simple rule of thumb of barrel length + 19" would be a good starting point for any AR SBR with a collapsible stock.

Awesome.  Thanks LMT.  I'm hoping to get this started this week. I have been putting it off due to a lot of questions that I had. And nervousness on not filling the paperwork out properly and trying to get the CLEO signature.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can the caliber change? Like say file it as a 5.56 then build a 9mm upper down the road? are you only allowed to posses ONE SBR upper at a time?

You can possess as many SBR uppers as you please after approval.  You should build the SBR per the configuration you defined on the Form 1, but there is no requirement to keep that configuration thereafter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top