Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 3 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By nater:
If a receiver is registered as a SBR, does it always have to be in a SBR configuration? Such as, if I registered my reciever as an SBR, and had a 10.5" upper and a 20" upper and switched between them?

I always put 2"-24" for barrel length when making an SBR.  This is a simple way to make sure you do not get hassled.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:11:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lostngone] [#2]
I read the FAQ, and it says "After you obtain your approved Form 1 from the BATFE, you will then need to mark your lower."

I have a question about the engraving the ATF form says I need...
______
1. The model, if such designation has been made
2. The caliber or gauge
3. The name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer
4. In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where the licensed manufacturer maintains its place of business
5. In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where the importer maintains its place of business.
______

The gun already has the model(M15A4), caliber(.223), the manufacturer(Armalite), the address(of Armalite). My question is what do I need to engrave then?

Am I now the manufacturer?, I don't see anywhere it states I have to engrave my name.

P.S. I'm sending my SBR(form 1) paperwork off to the BATFE tonight The long wait begins!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Budam:

If you use 2"-24" on barrel length, what figures do you use for overall length?

Thanks! hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lostngone] [#4]
Another Question…

If I filled out a form 1 to make  my AR15 into a SBR(and was approved) can I legally take the upper to a gunsmith and have him/her put the shorter barrel on the upper?

Would this be legal?

Or a different question.

Can I legally buy an upper with a barrel length less then 16 inches without breaking the law?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By lostngone:
Another Question…

If I filled out a form 1 to make  my AR15 into a SBR(and was approved) can I legally take the upper to a gunsmith and have him/her put the shorter barrel on the upper?

Would this be legal?

Or a different question.

Can I legally buy an upper with a barrel length less then 16 inches without breaking the law?

As long as the smith only has the upper, it should be fine.  You may also buy the upper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Would this be legal?

You could give the complete gun to the FFL gunsmith who would put a short barrel onto the upper.  Any smith worth their salt will test it on your complete gun and make sure it works.  Completely legal...  No form 5 is required for gunsmithing like above.

If you have an SBR, MG o an AR15 pistol.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Ranger144:
If you use 2"-24" on barrel length, what figures do you use for overall length?

I measure the length of fire less barrel assembly and then add it to minimum/maximum length.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Am I now the manufacturer?, I don't see anywhere it states I have to engrave my name.

Yes, you are the manufacture of the SBR.

Put your initials and a abbreviation of your city and state.

Example: Lostgone Itching Goodboy at Merrimack, New Hampshire would be:

LIG MMK NH

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 12:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: longshot_va] [#9]
No one answered this question:

What are acceptable reasons as to why you intend to make a firearm (box 4i)?

tia,
-LS
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Two more newbie (dumb) questions:

On the Citizenship form, who's name is entered on line 2. ..Certifying to citizenship__________?

Does this form need to be notarized?

-LS
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By longshot_va:
Two more newbie (dumb) questions:

On the Citizenship form, who's name is entered on line 2. ..Certifying to citizenship__________?

Does this form need to be notarized?

-LS

Your name goes in line#2. You end up certifying yourself. No, the form does not need to be notarized.
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you use to "affix photo" to the form?

Tape?

Staple?

iron on transfer?

-LS
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]

What do you use to "affix photo" to the form?

Tape?

Staple?

iron on transfer?

-LS

I glued mine on using some of my daughters "Arts+Crafts" glue.
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I used double sided tape from good ole' Wally World.

Been 30 days, ain't heard nothin'

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]

tia,
-LS

simply answer the question.  Why do you want one?

I put "enhance collection"
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]

tia,
-LS

I was informed to put "Firearms Collector" by a couple of friends who have already went through the process. The ATF just cashed my check last week, I assume thats a good sign.
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#17]
If you put a can on a SBR is there a way to only pay for just one $200 stamp.

Like if the guy who makes the cans, soders the can to the barrel?

So the can makes it 16 or so?
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 4:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jamng] [#18]
The FAQ mentions pre and postban configurations.  I assume that this no longer has any meaning in those states that the AWB has truly sunset or is there some special nuance of the law that make a pre-94 lower of benefit?
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a question about the "apllication to make and register a firearm" form.
If you have a C&R license would you need to put that in box 5?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By tony_k:

Originally Posted By Lumpy_3:
The corporation route, is it easier?

Well, you have the initial effort and expense of setting up a corporation, and you may have annual paperwork/state fees/taxes or tax forms, depending on your state and the way you set up the corp.

However, once you have the corporation, it's much easier dealing with BATF(E) requirements:
--No CLEO signoff needed.
--No fingerprint cards needed.
--No photos needed.

In addition to saving the time and effort to get the above, my corporate transfers usually take two to three weeks from pending to approved. The longest only took a month; the shortest, nine days.

So I would say yes, the corporation route is easier and faster.

Quick questions on Corporate Route:
1. The SBR would be considered an asset, therefore Taxable, right?  Also it would depreciate just like any other Asset, right?
2. Does it matter what type of a Corporation, such as a standard Corp, sun-chapter S, LLL, and most importantly a Trust???  I am thinking of forming a Family Trust for personal finance reasons, and if this could also be used as the holder of the SBR, then everything would be PERFECT for me????
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Quarterbore:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
Quaterbore, can you give a quick rundown of the legal situatio for owning an SBR/s and AR15/s.  There is some sort of problem w/ "constructive" isn't there?

I replied by starting a new thread as that is off topic...  please see ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=237729.  I did this as that is a topic that is likely to cause arguments!

Hey- this link doesn't work anymore- can someone find the thread referenced here?
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By gradyW:
I have a question about the "apllication to make and register a firearm" form.
If you have a C&R license would you need to put that in box 5?
Thanks

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Who do you make the check out to?

In the FAQ is says "ATF" but on the form it says, "Department of the Treasury."

Which is it?

????
-LS
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#27]
On Form 1, section 4. H. it states "ADDITIONAL DESCRIPTION (Include all numbers and other identifying data which will appear on the firearm)"

What is this used for? Should I put what I plan on engraving on the lower once approved? (my name and city/state)?
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Taggedf
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I sent in my paperwork about two months ago.  Can anybody give me even a rough idea of when I should expect to hear something from the ATF?
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Are you ready for a long winter's nap? I am at the 4 1/2 month mark next week. You are dealing with the BATFE, they will serve you when they get around to it. Don't even start calling until 4 months have passed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#31]
A friend just got his can paperwork back after 5 months.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
Damn

Double Damn!

Top that off with F@#k!

Danny
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Did I call too soon?  I mailed my packet to them on 11/22/04 and the USPS confirmed that it was delivered on 11/26/04.  I called today to check the status and was told that they had no record of my serial number.  My check hasnt been cashed yet either.  The operator told me that I may have to resumit my forms.  That would not be good.  Should I be patient and keep looking for the check to be cashed and call again later?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm new to AR ownership (2 weeks) and considering an SBR build.  Most of the SBR build websites refer to pre-ban and post-ban lower receivers, but not non-ban.  I'm assuming this is because they haven't been updated since the sunset.  But just in case, as long as I don't live in a state or city that regulates SBRs, can I build it using any lower?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
But just in case, as long as I don't live in a state or city that regulates SBRs, can I build it using any lower?

Thanks!

Yes
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Any suggestions on how to contact CLEOs to see if they sign?  If by mail, is there a recommended form letter?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By santino34:
Did I call too soon?  I mailed my packet to them on 11/22/04 and the USPS confirmed that it was delivered on 11/26/04.  I called today to check the status and was told that they had no record of my serial number.  My check hasnt been cashed yet either.  The operator told me that I may have to resumit my forms.  That would not be good.  Should I be patient and keep looking for the check to be cashed and call again later?

They won't have a record of your serial number until well after your check has cleared.  I would check with your bank for your check to clear and then wait atleast 10 days for BATF to have you on record.  

You have a while to wait still, expect about a 4 month wait (minimum).
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
Any suggestions on how to contact CLEOs to see if they sign?  If by mail, is there a recommended form letter?

Thanks!

Ask around in your hometown forum.  You can also call your sheriffs/police dept., and ask to speak with the sherif/police chief ( you probabkly won't get further than their secretary however) and just ask them (chief or secretary).
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I just went down to our department and asked him to sign my paperwork. But then again, I know all the officers in our town. My problem will be, that they will all want to shoot my SBR when I have finished it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FeedMyBeltFed] [#41]
I want to register my Bushmaster Carbon 15 21S pistol as a SBR

Here's the issue.

On the reciever it says :

Bushmaster Firearms Inc
Lake Havasu, AZ USA

But on their web site the address is:

Address for UPS Packages
   Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.
   999 Roosevelt Trail
   Windham, ME  04062

Address for all other Mail

Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.
   P.O. Box 1479
   Windham, ME 04062

What address do I use for the Manufacture address

Also, do I need to print this form on one page front and back or two sepearate pages?

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By lotsagas4u:
Are you ready for a long winter's nap? I am at the 4 1/2 month mark next week. You are dealing with the BATFE, they will serve you when they get around to it. Don't even start calling until 4 months have passed.

Did you get approval yet?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By anoldbaldman:
I just went down to our department and asked him to sign my paperwork. But then again, I know all the officers in our town. My problem will be, that they will all want to shoot my SBR when I have finished it.

Now that's a good problem to have....
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 9:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostngone] [#44]
From my post on 10/29/2004:

P.S. I'm sending my SBR(form 1) paperwork off to the BATFE tonight he

Well its now 02/14/2005 and I am still waiting. BATFE cashed my check on Nov 15, I know that doesn't mean anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 3:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4arc] [#45]
I went to the ATF's website to order my fingerprint  cards and there are 4 FD-258s listed.

Is this the one I need to submit with my SBR paperwork:  FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI DCATF0100?

I printed all my other forms but need to order these.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#46]
If this has been asked, then I'm sorry, I didn't see it. <aybe it's just obvious.

So basically, I buy the lower first, correct? then this is the serial number I use? and obvously the part that gets engraved when I get approved.

can I buy the lower as a Pistol, build it as a pistol then convert it when aproved?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By MudBug:
If this has been asked, then I'm sorry, I didn't see it. <aybe it's just obvious.

So basically, I buy the lower first, correct? then this is the serial number I use? and obvously the part that gets engraved when I get approved.

can I buy the lower as a Pistol, build it as a pistol then convert it when aproved?

Thanks.

Correct
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By fq1234:

Thanks.

Correct

I was under the impression that once it's registered as a pistol, it's a pistol.  Does the addition of a stock make it an AOW or SBR?  And remember, as Mr. Garrison would say on South Park, "there are not dumb questions, just dumb people."

Thanks in advance.

Shot, over.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MudBug] [#50]

Originally Posted By Ranger144:

Originally Posted By fq1234:

Thanks.

Correct

I was under the impression that once it's registered as a pistol, it's a pistol.  Does the addition of a stock make it an AOW or SBR?  And remember, as Mr. Garrison would say on South Park, "there are not dumb questions, just dumb people."

Thanks in advance.

Shot, over.

I'm not positive about how this applies to AR's but I'm sure it's the same as everything else. I have a T/C Encore Pistol, which I can buy all the hardware for and turn it into a rifle (if I buy rifle length barrels). If I had a T/C rifle, I could legally turn it into a pistol. Sounds weird right, well the reason it is legal is that all T/C frames are registered as pistols.
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 3 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top